Homebirth in Lake Charles, LA?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-16-2010, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I aren't expecting just yet, but I'm trying to find out if a homebirth is even going to be an option for me here in Lake Charles, LA. Does anyone know of any midwives in the area that are willing to travel my way for a homebirth?
Thanks, Abby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 04:14 AM

You need to contact Anne Lastrapes.She is the president of the Louisiana Association of Midwives and shedoes home births She is awsome She delivered my baby in 2008.Tell her lindsey recommended her. I was a VBAC delivery at her birth center in 2008 ,She is awesome!:[email protected]
Old 07-02-2010, 03:18 PM

Are you still looking? The only midwife I know in lake charles only delivers in hospitals, but there are others who I believe may travel. Have you tried contacting the birth center in Lafayette to see if they can give you any leads?
Old 07-02-2010, 11:45 PM

I'm pretty sure there isn't a homebirth midwife in the Lake Charles area. The birth center in Lafayette is a good place to start, as is Anne Lestrappes. I'm not sure how far she is from Lake Charles, but I do know she was willing to travel for a while. Also, how far are you from Houston? You may be able to find a birth center over the state line in Texas.

Good luck!

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
Old 08-25-2010, 12:56 AM

Hi Abby! I'm in the same boat you are as far as trying to find resources in this area. I've already contacted the birth center in Lafayette, but they aren't very responsive & I'm still waiting for a reply back for info. I did find a CNM in Lake Charles that works at both hospitals. Her name is Kristy Frost; her # is (337) 436-4797 & e-mail: [email protected]. I haven't called her yet, but I plan to tomorrow!
Old 08-27-2010, 01:00 AM

That's odd. They are pretty good about getting back to people and are very personable. They have people come to them from hours away for prenatals and birth.

Anne Lastrapes is another excellent pick, sometimes she doesn't go to LC though. However, she is a great person to call and just ask (she caught my #2!) if she'll go there, and if she can't, she just told me tonight that there is a midwife from Austin moving to the LC area. She may have to catch your baby in Orange, as she is waiting for licensure in La. (she is licensed in TX right now though).

Good luck!
Jenny

Jenny, mother of two boys; 7-25-06 and 7-27-08. Loving wife to Cole. I love birth! :
Old 08-30-2010, 06:50 PM

just to clarify, Anne Lastrappes IS the MW who runs the birth center in Lafayette. I believe she has another MW (who doesn't do HB) that works with her and at least one apprentice.

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
Old 09-07-2010, 06:00 PM

Me.

We just moved to the area in August, and I am starting up a practice here. Check me out! www.peakmidwifery.com

Becca

edit: I am the midwife mentioned earlier who moved from Austin. I am now licensed in both states.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:33 PM

Becca, that is GREAT! If you have a moment in the next week or so I'd love to know how long your licening in LA took. You can PM or call me 318-272-8295.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
Old 09-20-2010, 01:13 AM

Charotte, I just heard there is a MW licensed here in Florida that has moved to the BR area and is getting her LA license. She might have some info for ya too.

Midwife to Many, Mom to 5, Ummie to 1.  Life is good on the Gulf Coast.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Becca, a friend and I are tryin to look at your website, so I might be contacting you.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:56 AM

Hi BECCA!!!!

So nice to "meet" you. I put your website on our La. Natural Birth Meetup Group site. I'll try to update our resources (the "About" page) page soon.

Illiana, Anne doesn't work at the birth center anymore and has gone back to exclusively doing homebirths. Lynette Robinson is the midwife at the birth center now~

Smiles,
Jenny

Jenny, mother of two boys; 7-25-06 and 7-27-08. Loving wife to Cole. I love birth! :

User Tag List