Help.....VBAC in LR? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-07-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not finding much for VBAC in LR and wondered if anyone has any recommendations? We would like to not get so "medical" if we can avoid it, but not sure how to? What hospital's are good for a natural birth with minimal intervention's?  We can travel anywhere from Texarkana to LR if needed, and maybe up towards Fayetteville. Finding the right DR or MW and hospital is our #1 priority! Would having a doula help for a hospital birth?

Thanks! 

Mamma to identical twin girls (June, 2006 born at 30 weeks), new bundle of joy due August, 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-08-2011, 06:13 AM

I know you just PMed me for my MW's info (and I'm going to send it to you!), but I thought that I'd go ahead and recommend my sister's doctor.  She had a totally natural birth in Sept at Baptist with Dr. Garner (he practices at AR Women's Center).  It was amazing.  I've never seen a doctor so hands off.  She delivered on a birthing stool and, while she was pushing, he told her to do what felt right and he'd set up around her.  He never batted an eye at her birth plan and they followed everything to a T at the hospital.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#3 of 9 Old 01-08-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal_chick View Post

I know you just PMed me for my MW's info (and I'm going to send it to you!), but I thought that I'd go ahead and recommend my sister's doctor.  She had a totally natural birth in Sept at Baptist with Dr. Garner (he practices at AR Women's Center).  It was amazing.  I've never seen a doctor so hands off.  She delivered on a birthing stool and, while she was pushing, he told her to do what felt right and he'd set up around her.  He never batted an eye at her birth plan and they followed everything to a T at the hospital.

Oh cool!  Was she able to eat during labor?  Do you know how he might be with VBAC's?

Mamma to identical twin girls (June, 2006 born at 30 weeks), new bundle of joy due August, 2011
#4 of 9 Old 01-08-2011, 11:44 AM

Our plan was to feed her regardless of what they said (although she put that she wanted to be able to eat in her birth plan and he took no issue with it), but we timed it really well and got her to the hospital at 7 cm, so she had no desire.

As for VBACs, I think he's a bit wary of them, but I don't know more than that.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#5 of 9 Old 01-09-2011, 03:14 PM

Dr. Garner was my doctor for two of my earlier pregnancies. With my first birth, I had no idea what I was doing and I had the textbook mainstream birth (pitocin, epidural, episiotomy, etc.). During my second pregnancy, I wanted a natural hospital birth with no unnecessary medical interventions. Doctor Garner gave me mostly no trouble with my birth plan, however he was convinced that I'd have to give my newborn the standard eye drops after birth (I didn't) and made a small fuss out of that. He ended up not being on call for my birth and I had someone else attend that's in his practice, so I can't really say whether or not he's a great pick overall. I do know, however, that if I ever decided to have another hospital birth, I would choose several other doctors before him.

The doctor with the best reputation for being natural and VBAC friendly in central AR is Dr. Kevin Breniman at Cornerstone Clinic for Women. He comes highly recommended by natural birthers as well as the midwives in this area.

As for a VBAC friendly midwife, I'll PM you.

#6 of 9 Old 01-09-2011, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love My Life View Post

Dr. Garner was my doctor for two of my earlier pregnancies. With my first birth, I had no idea what I was doing and I had the textbook mainstream birth (pitocin, epidural, episiotomy, etc.). During my second pregnancy, I wanted a natural hospital birth with no unnecessary medical interventions. Doctor Garner gave me mostly no trouble with my birth plan, however he was convinced that I'd have to give my newborn the standard eye drops after birth (I didn't) and made a small fuss out of that. He ended up not being on call for my birth and I had someone else attend that's in his practice, so I can't really say whether or not he's a great pick overall. I do know, however, that if I ever decided to have another hospital birth, I would choose several other doctors before him.

The doctor with the best reputation for being natural and VBAC friendly in central AR is Dr. Kevin Breniman at Cornerstone Clinic for Women. He comes highly recommended by natural birthers as well as the midwives in this area.

As for a VBAC friendly midwife, I'll PM you.

Thank you very much!  We don't mind being in a hospital setting if we can still get the benefits of having a home birth so-to-speak in the hospital.  We don't want any of the vaxes/drops/Vit K, delayed cord clamping, no circ if a boy and such.  

Thanks for your PM, I PM'ed you back! 

#7 of 9 Old 01-19-2011, 08:25 PM

DR HENRY!!  He works at Grace Clinic for Women.  I used him for my VBAC and he was so great.  Tell him what you want and he (for the most part) doesn't bat an eye.  The only thing he wasn't too happy about was me wanting to refuse the GD bc of my huge family history with diabetes and delayed cord clamping.  He was cool with my GBS testing, no VE's, birthing in whatever position I wanted, minimal fetal monitoring (5mins every hour instead of hosp "necessary" continuous).  He was amazing and if I ever used another OB he would be it.  He truly believes in VBACs and even helped my friend out- she would have been cut open so quick with most other doctors and he stayed with her for HOURS and was so patient with her.  heartbeat.gif

I've heard good things about Dr Breniman at Cornerstone, but ultimately felt that I would be better off with Henry bc of his work at TN Tech in a VBAC study and the fact that he works alone so he would be the only person attending my birth.  At Cornerstone they rotate.  I needed that trust so for me ONLY being with him was important.  He's also the backup for my (hopefully) MW.  She highly recommends him if you're doing a hosp birth.

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#8 of 9 Old 01-22-2011, 07:28 PM

Dr. Jones is brand new to Grace Clinic (with Henry), and has been excellent so far. Totally OK with heplock only, intermittent monitoring, and VBACs in general. I'm due to VBAC in the next month or so at Baptist, so I'll be able to let you know how she pans out shortly :) 

Mom to Liv (9/07) ribboncesarean.gif and Nora (2/11) vbac.gif

#9 of 9 Old 01-24-2011, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

A great place to ask about VBAC info is ICAN.  There is a chapter in Central Arkansas. http://icanofcentralar.wordpress.com/

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page