Arkansas laws regarding homeschooling and vaccines? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-19-2011, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband is going to graduate from college soon and we are looking to relocate, maybe to Arkansas.  Things to consider before switching states (we're currently in Louisiana) though are the laws in that state regarding how we raise our children.  We homeschool and are really on the fence about most vaccines (so our dd who is almost 2 hasn't had any and ds who is 5 hasn't had any since he was 1, we are also expecting again in May!)  So if anyone could help me and let me know if there are any funky laws about that sort of thing (or anything else regarding how we raise our family) I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks!

#2 of 7 Old 01-20-2011, 05:49 AM

I'm not sure about the homeschooling stuff, but AR has a philosophical vaccine for exemptions.  They email you the forms, you fill them out, have them notarized, and send them back.  It is as easy as that, although they do have to be done on a yearly basis and that is kind of annoying.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#3 of 7 Old 01-21-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

#4 of 7 Old 01-21-2011, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You don't need a vaccine exemption if you homeschool in AR. 

Both homeschool and vaccine exemptions are simple in Arkansas.

Homeschool requirements: file intent to homeschool annually by Aug 15 and take mandated tests for 3rd-12th grades.  There are many test sites throughout the state.  Our homeschool group tests together.  There is no cost for the tests.

Exemptions are also annual filings, but only to enroll in public/private school or daycare/preschool.  They are super easy to file and we have all three exemptions available in AR.

We relocated from Louisiana to Arkansas over 5 years ago.  The only difference in the homeschool law is that you can delay the start of school longer in Louisiana.  Kindergarten waivers are available in AR, but you have to either enroll or file intent to homeschool for 1st grade.

What part of Arkansas are you considering?

#5 of 7 Old 01-22-2011, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

We've been really vague about it.  Driving through we really like Northwest AR.

#6 of 7 Old 02-18-2011, 11:07 PM

Northwest Arkansas is the best part of AR, in my opinion. Very progressive with lots of natural-minded choices.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#7 of 7 Old 03-05-2011, 10:36 AM

I live in NW Arkansas and homeschool my kids. I have had no problems with the vaxing so far.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page