New Orleans, what to do, see and where to stay w/ kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-08-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our family is starting to plan this year's vacation.  We plan on taking Amtrak to New Orleans and hope not to rent a car, but do all sightseeing by foot or public transportation.  We'll have 2 adults, 2 16 month olds and 1 just-turned-5 year old.  So...what should we make sure to not miss?  What would we be able to do with all the kids?  Where should we stay, we're looking at the French Quarter potentially.  Hit me with you advice as none of us have ever been there and want it to be a fun (and possible) time for all.  TIA!

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#2 of 6 Old 02-09-2011, 07:36 AM

What time of year are you coming? If it's summer, definitely get a hotel with a pool - fun way to unwind after a day of sightseeing, and to get some of the kids energy out. A hotel in the French Quarter or warehouse district would be fine. You could also consider a hotel on St. Charles Avenue - you would have access to the streetcar line, which you could then ride to the Quarter, etc. You will also have access to the streetcar from the warehouse district and french quarter, too.

Some great stops for kids:

LA Children's Museum - great for the age group you're going with

Audubon Zoo

Aquarium of the Americas

New Orleans City Park - Storyland (great fairytale themed play area - highly recommended!) and Amusement Park area, which houses one of the oldest carousels in America

Audubon Park

The kids might have fun riding one of the steamboats that cruise along the Mississippi River

If I think of any more children -friendly destinations, I'll post again. I hope you have a great time in New Orleans!

#3 of 6 Old 02-10-2011, 09:58 AM

I wanted to add that you can also take a boat from the aquarium to the zoo and vice versa- would be fun for the kids.

There is not an abundance of public transporation, so map out your plans carefully. With little kids, I would look at staying more on St. Charles than in the Quarter. JMO.

#4 of 6 Old 02-12-2011, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!   We just booked travel for over Memorial day weekend, I hope it's not too hot then as we do hope to walk most of it.  We're probably going to either bring an unbrella stroller for the 4yo or else carry a baby on our back as I don't think she'll walk far.  I was looking at a hotel that looks like we could have access to the riverfront streetcar line.  I'll look more into the St. Charles area as well.  Thanks!

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#5 of 6 Old 03-28-2011, 09:15 PM

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to new Orleans next week with my almost 2 y/o ds and almost 4 y/o dd. My husband will be in a conference for a couple days so we'll be on our own with only public transportation too. We're staying at the jw Marriott near the conv center/French quarter. I'm going to check out your suggestion but let me know if you think of any other little tips etc. Thanks!!

Kim - Mama to my two beautiful babes DD 05/2007 & DS 05/2009
#6 of 6 Old 04-01-2011, 06:41 AM

I would check out wwltv.com and register. I am always getting 1/2 price coupons for things from them- food, museums, etc. Also, they will have lists of festivals going on; in the spring there is a festival almost every weekend! In April there is the French Quarter festival. Free music and lots of it. Food booths set up all over the place. It is set up along the river walk and into the Quarter. It is usually close to my wedding anniversrary (April 22nd) and dh and I often book a night at the hotel where we spent our first night together as a married couple.

Some of the outlying cities have festivals as well. The strawberry festival is also in April or early May- it is great and strawberries are cheap! ($10 for a flat of them). If I think of anything else, I will let you know.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page