Gestational Diabetis and VBAC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2011, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am planning  VBAC and due in May( 26wks so far) My concern here is I had my blood glucose test done and fasting result came out 170. Which is above normal range. Normal is somewhere between 70-140.

Now my Dr. wants me to go for the gestational Diabetes test this week. I am so scared about what the result will be.

I had absolutely healthy pregnancy( No GD) with my first one though I gained a good amount of weight(33lbs) last time and started overweight with this second one and hence trying to watch weight this time but already gained (13lbs.) Is anyone going through the same? I have no clue what research to do if I am diagnosed with GD. As till now I was just reading about VBAc but have no idea how GD and VBAc go together. Please help!

Thank You to all in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 11:19 AM

I just had a VBAC with diet controlled GD in December.  Any specific questions? 

Best advice I can offer, is that you need to follow the diet as religiously as possible to keep your numbers under control (they'll refer you to the dietician and diabetic counselor if you fail the 1 and 3 hours).  Exercise at the least as much as they advise (I think they want you to walk at least twice a day, or after meals to bring sugar levels down) and more if you can.  And try to keep your weight gain within the guidleines your doctor recommends.   Aside from my placenta being in not so great shape upon delivery, my pregnancy was as if I never even had diabetes.  There's no real telling if the GD degraded my placenta or if it was because I was overdue (40w3d-which would have actually been closer to 41w based on my dates rather than the early ultrasound)

Old 03-01-2011, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank You, I think I will wait for the results and still stay put with my VBAC decision.

User Tag List