Talk to me about Fayetteville - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-27-2011, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

what can you tell me about life in Fayetteville?

DH & I are considering relocating to the area from Houston. We have two kiddos, DS is 3 1/2 and DD is 3 months. This would be a longer term goal, not immediate. 

What's the job market like? (DH has a BS in business & 10+ years experience) He's really good at streamlining processes and finding ways to cut costs.

As a young family who is active in our church (Methodist) we'd like something similar. Services where children are welcomed and encouraged to attend. Events and such geared towards young families. Ability to get involved in things like UMW or moms groups.

We selective/delay vaccines, would we be able to find a pedi who is okay with that? And also open to natural remedies, DS is intact, etc. 

Basically can we find the natural treatments that we are used to finding here in Houston, Chiro, naturopath, midwives, homebirth (though I'm not planning on any more children), etc. 

What are the negatives to life in Fayetteville? How is the public school system? Are there other options such as Montessori?

Are there mom/playdate groups? 

Would we be viewed as "weirdos" for babywearing, not spanking, co-sleeping, etc etc etc??

TIA!!

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#2 of 2 Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry I didn't see this - I've been trying to stay off the internet. LOL

The job market is reasonably good here, although the pay scale can be lower than some other areas of the country.  I know of at least a couple of active Methodist churches with emphasis on families.  Many people in the area are selective and/or delay vacs, and babywearing co-sleeping aren't going to shock anyone.  Other areas of Arkansas are more conservative, but Fayetteville has always been a bit looser.   The public school system is considered good, but we are homeschoolers so I guess I can't say too much about that!  There is a local Montessori (we liked it!) which goes through 3rd grade.  However, most kids leave it when they are eligible for public school K as it is pricey. 

HTH

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page