Talk to me about Bella Vista and Bentonville - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-19-2011, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Hi all!

I am wondering what life might be like in Bella Vista for a teenager who doesn't drive (or fish, so far...). It looks so beautiful from the air, but looking at the statistics, there do not seem to be many younger families, so I'm wondering how "young-people-friendly" it is...would they be able to get around on their own, on foot or bike, or is the area rather geared towards retirees in cars, without sidewalks? And what do kids do? I imagine life for kids rather revolves around the schools?

And what is there of good and bad to know about Bentonville High school, apart from that it is supposed to be excellent but huge? (I've checked Newsweek and greatschools).

Thank you so much in advance!

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#2 of 4 Old 06-23-2011, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Both areas are dominantly Republican and conservative.  I know you didn't ask that but that is what comes to mind when you mention those areas to me.  I grew up in the same county that Bentonville is in and barring some family emergency - I would not move back nor want my kids to grow up there.

Bella Vista is mostly a retirement area.  Bentonville is the world headquarters of Wal-Mart. 

Fayetteville is much, much nicer.  It's a college town so it's a bit more liberal, open and accepting.  More things to do and yes - sidewalks because it has some lovely old neighborhoods and a great down town.

The sea monkey has my money.

#3 of 4 Old 06-23-2011, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Thank you for your comments! I didn't ask because I kind of figured, but it's interesting that that is the one thing for you that comes to mind about the place - it must really dominate the atmosphere....ah well it would only be for a year, so not "growing up"...definitely a learning experience.

Sadly, Fayetteville isn't an option, it's Bella Vista or nothing.

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#4 of 4 Old 07-03-2011, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Bentonville has added a lot of bike trails and the sort lately. I really enjoy their farmer's market where I can get everything from produce to cheese, meat, eggs, and there is always a delicious crepe stand. It's not all stuffy conservatives if you look in the right places.

Rochelle  chartnew.gifff: /home/simplyrochelle  Wife to Matt; angel1.gif 9/08; angel1.gif 11/12;angel1.gif 6/13;

Every day brings me closer to fulfilling my dreams of becoming a midwife and a mother  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page