You could write about any/all of the following:
- your birth experience, and how it has influenced your support for homebirth and legalizing CPMs,
- your philosophical commitment to giving women options for where to give birth to their children, regardless of where you feel comfortable giving birth,
- some ethical, spiritual, or practical concerns you have about hospital birth,
- statistics (available on the FOIM website) citing the safety of homebirth for low-risk women,
- your feelings about criminalizing a class of skilled professionals who are recognized in a number of neighboring states (MO and WI). CPMs are trained to provide care for a normal life-process and to understand when birth is deviating from the normal, and they are capable of providing appropriate care for homebirths.
Here's a link to a list of talking points
too, and there's a link on that page to "letter writing" that has sample letters.
The Friends of Iowa Midwives site has a Q&A on the value and proven safety record
of CPMs and homebirth. You can print that out and include it with your letter.
Thanks for supporting this effort!