Calling all central Iowa midwifery supporters! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-20-2008, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

The first official meeting of the Central IA chapter of FOIM is coming
up! Join us this Sunday (11/23) at the Westown Pkwy (West Des Moines)
Panera from 4pm-6pm.

Our aim at this meeting is to get the central IA chapter off the
ground, create an opportunity for central and eastern IA folks
to meet each other, and to identify some coordinators for the chapter.
Everyone is welcome. If anyone from Iowa City would like to carpool
with me, let me know! We're leaving town at 2:00.

Here is a map of the location:
http://www.panerabr ead.com/cafes/ map.php?cafe= 3205

Directions: If coming from IC, exit off of i-80 onto i-235 and then
take the 35th Street/Valley West Exit in WDM.

Our agenda:
1. Meet and greet

2. Discussion/Q& A: What is Friends of Iowa Midwives?
Campaigns underway:
-Legislative campaign to license CPMs
-Building grassroots support
-Educational outreach and community building

3. Discussion: Upcoming Local opportunities for networking
-Orgasmic Birth screening
-others?

4. Discussion: Ideas for Central IA FOIM events
-Craft fair
-others?

5. Call for Central IA coordinators

xp to Iowa Mommies

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#2 of 7 Old 11-20-2008, 05:12 PM

I was sooo excited when I found this post and was ready to attend and start advocating, however from another post, I'm understanding that this group only supports and advocates for home births? What about the moms who want to birth in a hospital or birth center with the support of an individual midwife, natural birthing and pregnancy support, waterbirth etc? Not everyone is comfortable with a homebirth and we need to have those options for women within the medical setting or at the very least birth centers. Please let me know if I am not correct and I will be interested in attending, however if it is strictly supporting home births I'm afraid I'm won't be much help.
#3 of 7 Old 11-21-2008, 11:12 AM

Lauren, I'm excited to get to meet you in person! I'll be there.

ShineLikeTheSon, The goal (as I understand it) is to legalize Certified Professional Midwives verses only Certified Nurse Midwies. These midwives would attend out of hospital births. BUT supporting choices for women wanting to birth out of the hospital and "mainstreaming" midwifery will help materity care for all Iowa women, including those wanting midwifery support in a hospital. Please consider coming and learning more, your presence and support would be great and you would provide a great perspective.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#4 of 7 Old 11-22-2008, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
I was sooo excited when I found this post and was ready to attend and start advocating, however from another post, I'm understanding that this group only supports and advocates for home births? What about the moms who want to birth in a hospital or birth center with the support of an individual midwife, natural birthing and pregnancy support, waterbirth etc? Not everyone is comfortable with a homebirth and we need to have those options for women within the medical setting or at the very least birth centers. Please let me know if I am not correct and I will be interested in attending, however if it is strictly supporting home births I'm afraid I'm won't be much help.
FOIM is a group working to promote legislation that would license CPMs to attend home births legally. To support FOIM you don't have to be a homebirther, you just have to believe this option should be available to women in Iowa. While I think everyone at FOIM would agree that women need access to birth centers, water birth, etc in clinical settings, our specific agenda is licensing midwives and promoting access to out-of-hospital birth.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#5 of 7 Old 11-22-2008, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639 View Post
Lauren, I'm excited to get to meet you in person! I'll be there.
Sarah, darn it!! I won't be there this week. I'm glad you will be there, hopefully I can attend a central FOIM thing soon and we can hook up with our Feb babies!!

#6 of 7 Old 11-24-2008, 11:59 AM

Our Sunday was busier than expected, so i didn't end up attending. Is there an email list I can be added to for upcoming events?
#7 of 7 Old 11-24-2008, 12:12 PM

Yes! You can go here:

http://www.friendsofiowamidwives.org/getinvolved.html

and sign up for the Action Alert list. FOIM will let you know how the legislation is moving, what you can do to support birth choice for women, and when FOIM has more meetings.

Thanks for your support!

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page