IDSO pedi or family doc in Chicago to delay- or non-vax - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-26-2008, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live on the far north side (Rogers Park) and have medicaid for myself and my daughter, who is almost four months old. I chose a family practice O.D. while I was pregnant, thinking that would be the most holistic choice. Well it turned out he had zero knowledge of neonatal risk, goes pretty much with the APA on everything, etc. I told him I would not consider any vaccines until six months and now he is trying to pounce and give her several at her six month visit (umm yea right). He claims that we REALLY NEED the MMR, DTaP, and polio....
#2 of 6 Old 11-26-2008, 05:41 PM

How do you feel about a DO? We use Theresa Wanczyk. She is a member of Homefirst, but she has a practice that takes Medicaid. It's in Andersonville/Uptown area (1945 W. Wilson) - not too far from you. We've only had one appointment with her (I really had a hard time finding a close medical practitioner who took medicaid, too) but we really like her thus far.
#3 of 6 Old 11-27-2008, 03:40 PM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=997673

The thread says ped, but this is a family practice. Everyone I've met here is supportive of parents making their own decisions and hasn't batted an eye at my very delayed vax schedule.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#4 of 6 Old 11-27-2008, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boigrrrlwonder View Post
How do you feel about a DO? We use Theresa Wanczyk. She is a member of Homefirst, but she has a practice that takes Medicaid. It's in Andersonville/Uptown area (1945 W. Wilson) - not too far from you. We've only had one appointment with her (I really had a hard time finding a close medical practitioner who took medicaid, too) but we really like her thus far.
I put "O.D." but the doc I have now is actually a DO! It certainly seems like a more holistic approach to medicine and I am definitely open to another DO. I think I might have heard her name before (either that or it was another doc very close to there) as being supportive of breastfeeding. I hesitate to travel along Wilson on public transit but now that I realize it must be right off the Damen bus, that is definitely an option! Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimim View Post
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=997673

The thread says ped, but this is a family practice. Everyone I've met here is supportive of parents making their own decisions and hasn't batted an eye at my very delayed vax schedule.
Sweet, this is an option too! I'm pretty sure it's about two blocks from the other one mentioned in this thread. ...I was so scared there would be no response but I knew there had to be -something- around here. Too bad there isn't some extra set of initials to help us pick out the sensible doctors...

ETA: I called both (just to have the numbers, I don't expect anyone to be open on Thanksgiving) and the one in the other thread is (related to) the same practice I'm already at. Well, the phone number is the same. Yet the address is different :headscratch:
#5 of 6 Old 12-01-2008, 12:34 AM
acp

Fred Ettner, a family Doc in Evanston at St Francis (so not far from ROgers Park) is GREAT, but I'm not sure if he takes Medicaid?
#6 of 6 Old 12-04-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp View Post
Fred Ettner, a family Doc in Evanston at St Francis (so not far from ROgers Park) is GREAT, but I'm not sure if he takes Medicaid?
He doesn't take medicaid. He is wonderful, though isn't he?

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page