Iowa mamas in 2009...come on in! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 86 Old 01-09-2009, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's a new year so we needed a new thread

Wishing everyone a healthy and happy 2009!

Post away....

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#2 of 86 Old 01-09-2009, 03:39 AM

I hope everyone is enjoying the New Year!

Stephany
#3 of 86 Old 01-09-2009, 11:20 AM

Good morning all and welcome to 2009. (where did 2008 go???)

How are things shaping up for everyone?

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#4 of 86 Old 01-09-2009, 06:13 PM

Subscribing via post.

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#5 of 86 Old 01-12-2009, 02:31 PM

How long did it take everyone here to get a birth certificate for their kid? Ella is 13 weeks old and we have her soc card, but no birth certificate. I don't know if that's a normal wait time or if I need to call and complain to someone.

obstruct livery vehicles

#6 of 86 Old 01-12-2009, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Cross your fingers for decent weather...we're trying again!

This Friday, January 16
10 am at the Marion Public Library

Please join La Leche League of Cedar Rapids and Monica Brasile from
The Friends of Iowa Midwives to discuss homebirth.

This is part of our new series of special topics meetings on mothering and natural living held the third Friday of the month at 10 am at the Marion Public Library.
Future topics include:

· postpartum depression/birth trauma
· cloth diapering
· natural family planning/fertility awareness
· baby wearing

Don't forget-our regular La Leche League mtg is tomorrow night, Tuesday, January 13 at 7pm at Birth, Baby and Beyond (formerly Babymatters) in CR.
We are celebrating our 2 yr anniversary with some treats too!

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#7 of 86 Old 01-12-2009, 05:04 PM

Hi there - I'm new to this, working on getting pregnant so no little ones yet. My question is does anyone out there have any good resources for me that are in western iowa...such as midwives? Thanks!
#8 of 86 Old 01-15-2009, 03:16 AM

Is anyone else hating this cold weather as much as I am? I can't believe the high tomorrow won't even reach zero!

obstruct livery vehicles

#9 of 86 Old 01-15-2009, 09:36 AM

I'm just praying that Kirkwood is closed today - I can't do these temps... if they aren't closed, I may call in.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

#10 of 86 Old 01-15-2009, 11:08 AM

I really hate that school (UI) is starting next week so I'll be schlepping Robin around with me to visit babysitters in the morning. I have a meeting at 10 am today, too, so out we go into the -20 world. :

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#11 of 86 Old 01-15-2009, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

I agree, we're going nuts! The kids have wanted to play out in the snow the last 2 days but I keep telling them it's too cold. They don't get it of course.
So instead I get racing around like wild men and wrestling until someone gets hurt

#12 of 86 Old 01-15-2009, 01:27 PM

This cold weather is awful. My husband and I are home again for the second day w/the kids. We work at the same place and we can both work at home so we split our day; I work from home in the morning and then he works in the afternoon. I love being home with the kids, but they are going a little stir-crazy. I'm actually looking forward to my son's doctor appointment today because it will get all of us out of the house for a while.

And Jen, I noticed the signature. Congratulations!

Candace - Mama to Molly (02/06), Max (06/08) and Maggie (03/10)
#13 of 86 Old 01-15-2009, 01:29 PM

Thanks.

We should get together again sometime. I'm back teaching (M-F) over lunch hours. I think I'm calling in today - I am not going out in the cold if I can avoid it. :::

#14 of 86 Old 01-15-2009, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

I think we're jinxed!
But due to the weather and laboring mother that may have a baby before our meeting time we are postponing again:
This Friday, January 16 NOW MOVED TO JANUARY 23
10 am at the Marion Public Library

Please join La Leche League of Cedar Rapids and Monica Brasile from
The Friends of Iowa Midwives to discuss homebirth.

I hope some of you will hang in there and still try to attend....

#15 of 86 Old 01-16-2009, 02:01 AM

BRRRRR::: Can you believe this cold??? I'm going crazy with cabin fever but I'm also glad we don't have to go anywhere. I havn't posted much here, I'm in the DSM area and have a 3 year old DD and am due in Aprilwith another little girl! Here's to hoping for warmer weather this weekend so we can get out of this house!!!
#16 of 86 Old 01-16-2009, 01:09 PM

dont go anywhere today. they said on the news that it only takes 10 min to get frostbite today. hoping all you mommas in the frozen state of Iowa keep warm and snug at home today!

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#17 of 86 Old 01-16-2009, 01:56 PM

I am so sick of staying in the house. I haven't even gone out to get the mail, much less anywhere else since Tuesday! I'm actually jealous that DH has to go to work. I would kill to have to get out of the house. If it warms up like they say it should tomorrow I'm going somewhere, I don't even care where lol.

obstruct livery vehicles

#18 of 86 Old 01-17-2009, 10:40 AM

Cabin fever is making us a little bit too.

I tried to pump gas yesterday and it took 5 minutes to pump 2 gal. My feet were cold for an hour afterwards. Not fun.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#19 of 86 Old 01-22-2009, 01:42 PM

Hi there,
My family and I are looking at a possible move to Sioux City in the spring. I see here that most of you are from the central and eastern part of the state, right? Any thoughts on Sioux City?

We currently live in western Colorado. We visited S.C. last week during the record-breaking cold! : I grew up in northeast Kansas (Topeka) so I'm familiar with wind chills, but man that cold you all had last week took my breath away! I get that Sioux City may not have as many natural options as we're used to here, but we are in an awfully small town, so our choices here are also somewhat limited. I was more impressed with the town than I thought I'd be, though.

Any thoughts are welcome! TIA.
#20 of 86 Old 01-22-2009, 05:21 PM

I've been looking for a new kitchen table. Does anyone have any store recommendations in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area?

obstruct livery vehicles

#21 of 86 Old 01-25-2009, 08:24 PM

Friends of Iowa Midwives has a new Quad Cities chapter. Check us out here!

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
#22 of 86 Old 01-27-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomformore View Post
Friends of Iowa Midwives has a new Quad Cities chapter. Check us out here!
Here in the DSM area we are now down to only 4 practicing midwives. Only two homebirth midiwves, one hospital group at Methodist and one individual started at Mercy hospital. So sad that is all we have for choices and that the birth center is still sitting empty...I hope these types of groups can do something for not only home birth midwives but midwives as a whole ...every women deserves a choice to birth her way.
#23 of 86 Old 01-28-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
Here in the DSM area we are now down to only 4 practicing midwives. Only two homebirth midiwves, one hospital group at Methodist and one individual started at Mercy hospital. So sad that is all we have for choices and that the birth center is still sitting empty...I hope these types of groups can do something for not only home birth midwives but midwives as a whole ...every women deserves a choice to birth her way.
CPM licensure will make Iowa a happy places for midwives to be in general, and more importantly will make it so that homebirth midwives can't be arrested or jailed! Licensure legitimizes the profession and removes serious obstacles from its practice. Licensure DOES do something for "midwives as a whole." IMO.

#24 of 86 Old 02-06-2009, 08:00 PM

Red Envelope Party supporting Friends of Iowa Midwives
Friday, February 13th, 3-5pm
Harrison Hilltop Theatre
1601 Harrison Street
Davenport, IA

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
#25 of 86 Old 02-08-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
CPM licensure will make Iowa a happy places for midwives to be in general, and more importantly will make it so that homebirth midwives can't be arrested or jailed! Licensure legitimizes the profession and removes serious obstacles from its practice. Licensure DOES do something for "midwives as a whole." IMO.
I have a friend who moved here from WIS and she said when CPM's became legal there, it did create a whole new awarness for all midwives in the field and the hospitals started being more accomodating to natural ways with midwives due to the fact they were loosing alot of business to home births/birth center births. I'm praying this for Iowa! I can't wait for the Red Letter Event in Altoona at Being There Coffee House this Thursday from 10-2!
#26 of 86 Old 02-09-2009, 11:20 AM

On Wed Feb 25th FOIM is coordinating a lobby day for families to advocate for the licensure of midwives. Rep. Mary Mascher will be introducing a bill to do so this month!! We hope this will be a great opportunity for the legislature to see how important this is to Iowa families. Children welcome, SabbathD has offered her home as a refuge if anyone needs a nap or break.

If you are not yet a member of the FOIM facebook or yahoo groups, please consider joining now. Even if all you do is "count" as a member you help increase our numbers so we can say "hey, 10,000 families want this!"

PM me for more info about the lobby day!

#27 of 86 Old 02-09-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
On Wed Feb 25th FOIM is coordinating a lobby day for families to advocate for the licensure of midwives. Rep. Mary Mascher will be introducing a bill to do so this month!! We hope this will be a great opportunity for the legislature to see how important this is to Iowa families. Children welcome, SabbathD has offered her home as a refuge if anyone needs a nap or break.

If you are not yet a member of the FOIM facebook or yahoo groups, please consider joining now. Even if all you do is "count" as a member you help increase our numbers so we can say "hey, 10,000 families want this!"

PM me for more info about the lobby day!
I don't do face book but can join the yahoo group...how do I go about this? Also what is all involved in going on Feb 25th?
#28 of 86 Old 02-09-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

La Leche League Cedar Rapids
Couples Meeting Tues, Feb 10
(of course you can come alone-I am!)
7pm
Because of the larger group we are meeting at the church next to Birth Baby and Beyond (there will be signs).

Come check out the great lending library, snacks, and mom to mom support.

Speaking of the Friends of Iowa Midwives....

After our LLL Friday mtg on Feb 20 (10am-12pm) we are having a Red Envelope party from 12-1pm
This will be held at the Marion Library as a brown bag lunch type event. Come support Iowa midwives!

#29 of 86 Old 02-10-2009, 05:12 PM

Lovin this warm Iowa weather in FEb!!!!!! what about you???
#30 of 86 Old 02-10-2009, 05:30 PM

It's fantastic! I love being able to get out for walks with the dog and baby. I'm so sad it's going to get chilly again though.

obstruct livery vehicles

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page