Edward Hospital in Naperville or Central DuPage???? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 13 Old 01-26-2009, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
 
madsommer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have any birthing experiences here? I picked an OB and she is affiliated only with this hospital. I'm not too concerned as she is really into things organic and open to holistic/alternative methods...just curious about the staff there. Thanks!

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
madsommer is offline  
#2 of 13 Old 01-26-2009, 11:54 PM
 
Belia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 1,750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't heard much good about Edward if you are looking for a more natural experience. I don't believe they allow midwives, etc etc etc.

However, I don't have personal experience. I would be wary.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

 

 

Belia is offline  
#3 of 13 Old 01-27-2009, 03:47 PM
 
chandasz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Berwyn, IL
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also have not heard anything good at all about this place
chandasz is offline  
#4 of 13 Old 01-27-2009, 04:31 PM
 
THANKFULFORFIVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: midwestern girl in Texas
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my 4th child there. Not my worst experience, as far as hospitals go...Nursing staff was pleasant. Wasn't happy with the accomodations though. They had to move me upstairs to a different room after delivery. Made sure baby didn't leave my sight, but still an inconvenience.

me-45, DH-46, ds1-23, ds2-18, dd1-17, dd2-14, dd3-4....hoping for #6.....

THANKFULFORFIVE is offline  
#5 of 13 Old 01-27-2009, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
 
madsommer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh...well this is not comforting news at all. Thankfully baby isn't due until August so I have plenty of time to switch doctors. Thanks for the input ladies!

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
madsommer is offline  
#6 of 13 Old 01-27-2009, 07:45 PM
 
Snicwix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NW of Chicago
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my first baby there almost 6 years ago. My quality of care was good. The nurses were very friendly and helpful. I think they follow the wishes of the doctor, so be sure you jive with the delivering OB's goals. I did not have a birthplan with my first, so I am not sure if they are receptive them. I would clarify that with your OB to be sure. I don't know the stats, but I would expect the majority of the births there are managed with an epi.

On the plus side, the food was very good. They had all you could eat/drink snacks in the laboring areas and then your could order ala carte after delivery. During my labor, the nurses didn't push drugs on me. The downsides were that it seems to be a very busy hospital. They were quick to discharge me, and they did give my son a paci in the nursery. The LC's were so busy, I didn't get much attention at all. They did group nursing classes the day after birth, but there was hardly any one-on-one time. I am not sure if this is better now, since it's been a while.
Snicwix is offline  
#7 of 13 Old 01-28-2009, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter
 
madsommer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for your input Snicwix. Part of me is not too concerned as I have heard great great things about the OB I have chosen and she is really open to holistic and alternative methods. So I would think that she would be very adamant about a birth plan being followed - assuming she is the one who delivers the baby....

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
madsommer is offline  
#8 of 13 Old 02-03-2009, 12:14 PM
 
Xerxella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,925
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I had my son at Edward and I would NOT recommend them. Everyone was nice enough, but you get the ultra medical approach. They thought they saw fluid in my son's abdomen on an ultrasound so, they induced me at 36 weeks and of course I ended up with a C section and my son ended up in the NICU for 10 days because he was born too soon and wasn't feeding well enough.

And, the kicker... a repeat US after he was born showed no fluid, no problems, your son's in perfect health, isn't that great news....

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?


The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
Xerxella is offline  
#9 of 13 Old 02-03-2009, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
 
madsommer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxella View Post
I had my son at Edward and I would NOT recommend them. Everyone was nice enough, but you get the ultra medical approach. They thought they saw fluid in my son's abdomen on an ultrasound so, they induced me at 36 weeks and of course I ended up with a C section and my son ended up in the NICU for 10 days because he was born too soon and wasn't feeding well enough.

And, the kicker... a repeat US after he was born showed no fluid, no problems, your son's in perfect health, isn't that great news....
Yeah, I'm thinking that I'm going to need to change docs. I mean, it's not even worth going to see her if the only place she'll deliver is Edward. I am just not getting a very good feeling about this now that I've heard everyone's experiences. Gonna go find a new OB right now!

May I askw where you plan on delivering your next child?

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
madsommer is offline  
#10 of 13 Old 02-04-2009, 04:36 PM
 
Xerxella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,925
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Since I had the unfortunate C section last time, I decided to go with a midwife this time to bring my chances of a C down. (I should of the first time, but I'm not overly crunchy and I don't mind the idea of an epi, but I'm more interested in a vaginal birth and I'll do whatever I have to to get there.)

Anyways, I'm going with Nancy, Shirley and the midwives at Midwifery and Women's Health in Forest Park and West Suburban Hospital. My hubbie isn't comfortable with a home birth for a VBAC and West Suburban has an alternative birthing center with water births available and stuff like that. Most people here seem to like the midwives at West Suburban.

I'd definitely change over to a midwife practice. They all practice under an OB anyways, so you can always get the medical approach if you wanted.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?


The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
Xerxella is offline  
#11 of 13 Old 02-04-2009, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
 
madsommer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxella View Post
Since I had the unfortunate C section last time, I decided to go with a midwife this time to bring my chances of a C down. (I should of the first time, but I'm not overly crunchy and I don't mind the idea of an epi, but I'm more interested in a vaginal birth and I'll do whatever I have to to get there.)

Anyways, I'm going with Nancy, Shirley and the midwives at Midwifery and Women's Health in Forest Park and West Suburban Hospital. My hubbie isn't comfortable with a home birth for a VBAC and West Suburban has an alternative birthing center with water births available and stuff like that. Most people here seem to like the midwives at West Suburban.

I'd definitely change over to a midwife practice. They all practice under an OB anyways, so you can always get the medical approach if you wanted.
Thanks for sharing your plans. I too am not all that crunchy, but I have been thinking more and more about a natural birth this time. I did decide to go ahead with a midwife! They deliver at both Rush Copley and Provena Mercy, and I think I'll be okay with either. From what the receptionist told me when I called yesterday, these midwives are very involved and do a lot of teaching as well as the medical support so I'm pretty excited : Can't wait. I go on Tuesday! Good luck with you birth!

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
madsommer is offline  
#12 of 13 Old 02-10-2009, 02:19 PM
 
Xerxella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,925
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
My niece gave birth at Provena Mercy and she had a good birth experience. Her only complaint was that her water broke at about 38 weeks and the midwives put her on the 24 hour clock. When she didn't go into labor right away, they started augmenting and everything. They were starting to scare her with the C if she didn't give birth within 24 hours. Luckily everything went fine and she had a healthy son via natural birth as she wanted. She said like she felt there was an OB somewhere whispering in her midwife's ear pushing her to push my niece to speed things along.

Next time she says she's going with a homebirth.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?


The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
Xerxella is offline  
#13 of 13 Old 02-10-2009, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
 
madsommer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxella View Post
My niece gave birth at Provena Mercy and she had a good birth experience. Her only complaint was that her water broke at about 38 weeks and the midwives put her on the 24 hour clock. When she didn't go into labor right away, they started augmenting and everything. They were starting to scare her with the C if she didn't give birth within 24 hours. Luckily everything went fine and she had a healthy son via natural birth as she wanted. She said like she felt there was an OB somewhere whispering in her midwife's ear pushing her to push my niece to speed things along.

Next time she says she's going with a homebirth.
Thanks for the info! I had my first appointment with my midwife and I am so happy that I chose them. I am feeling really confident about this choice versus the other options I was looking into. I can't wait!

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
madsommer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off