Mothering Forum banner

Why is it so hard to find a homebirth midwife in Iowa!?!?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Jo&Co 
#1 ·
I'm only 7 weeks along, but I feel like it's a good thing I've started looking for a midwife already! I am in Fairfield, about an hour south of Iowa City. After three terrible hospital births I desperately want a homebirth this time, but I'm having a hard time finding a midwife!

I spoke with Diana Fern, and I have a call into Kathy Deol...are they it? Are they my only two options?

Please let me know if you have the name of anyone else in this area. I'm feeling really overwhelmed (Or maybe underwhelmed!) by my apparent lack of choices!

TIA!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I can think of 4 or 5 practicing hb midwives (including Kathy and Diana). You actually live in the best place in IA to have a hb. Most places in Iowa have no hb practitioners. So feel lucky!! MWs are very busy so they're awful about calling back. Just keep calling. I didn't see a midwife until I was 13 weeks. PM me for midwife details. You should join Friends of IA Midwives -- we're working to increase access to hb and make it completely licensed and legal for all MWs.

#3 ·
The reason it is hard is because Certified Nurse Midwives are the only midwives LEGALLY able to attend births in Iowa. So yeah, there are like... 3-ish CNM in the entire state who do homebirths.

There are other Certified Professional Midwives (CPM) and other lay midwives in the area. Totally take Lauren there up on her offer if you'd like information on them.

Good luck. And Good Birthing.

#4 ·
I figured there HAD to be more...Fairfield is pretty "crunchy"...but online it's hard to find anyone!

PM'ing you for names!

Thanks ladies!

#5 ·
I know this is an old old thread, but it's my question exactly ... so far I have found the Willowsong group up in Des Moines which do not travel to my area (Pella), and a pair of CNM's that attend homebirths, but they are in the Cedar Rapids area. I'm just under an hour's drive from Des Miones, and 2 hours from Cedar Rapids. Any ideas or contact info anyone could share?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.