IL Laws RE eye ointment, vit k, etc? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 19 Old 03-18-2009, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know, or know where I can find, what the law says in IL about newborn procedures? I would really like to decline the eye goop and possibly the Vit K, but I want to know where I stand. If some nurse tries to threaten me, I want to know what my rights are. Has anyone successfully declined these giving birth in an IL hospital? TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 03-19-2009, 12:15 PM

This link is for vaccine exemptions, but it also includes information on birth exemptions http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/illinois.htm

Here's an older thread on this:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=820294
#3 of 19 Old 03-19-2009, 12:40 PM

I was able to decline both at Rush Presybytarian St. Lukes in chicago about 6 years ago. nak.

#4 of 19 Old 03-19-2009, 01:31 PM

I refused both at Northwestern Memorial (Chicago) back in 2004, no problem. They said I had to sign a waiver, but no one ever brought me anything to sign. Just remember that no matter what the staff tells you, NOTHING is ever mandatory.

Jfly-by-nursing1.gif, partner-in-crime to Dfamilybed2.gif, mama to run.gif4, including our brand new rainbow1284.gifbaby.gifmissing my 7-wk-er

#5 of 19 Old 03-19-2009, 03:51 PM

My hospital (in IL) doesn't even do the Hep B routinely.
#6 of 19 Old 03-19-2009, 05:38 PM

I delivered in the ABC room at West Suburban. We declined the bath, the Vit K, Hep B vax and circumcision with no problems at all.

Kelli
#7 of 19 Old 03-19-2009, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

So, from the legal stuff (linked in the other discussion pokeyrin liked to), it sounds like I can't legally refuse it. Am I just not reading it right? I'm glad to know some of you have gotten away with it though. Has anyone refused at Evanston Hosp?
#8 of 19 Old 03-19-2009, 11:38 PM

Yes, you can legally refuse it. You can claim a religious exemption. The nurses/mid-wives at Rush-Copley didn't blink an eye. It was in my birth plan and noone even questioned me. I refused it all. Oh, and I didn't even have to mention my religious exemption. I just said no. They never asked why. I put it on my birth plan by my own accord as I wanted everything in writing. Noone told me I had to.
#9 of 19 Old 03-19-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysmom2 View Post
So, from the legal stuff (linked in the other discussion pokeyrin liked to), it sounds like I can't legally refuse it. Am I just not reading it right? I'm glad to know some of you have gotten away with it though. Has anyone refused at Evanston Hosp?
I delivered at ENH in 2007 and refused both. No problems. I would also recommend checking out Dr. Minkus as your baby's doc. He believes that it is the parent's responsibility to research and make all decisions regarding the baby's care. We have never vaccinated, refused most "routine" interventions and never given our child any prescription medication and he respects all our decisions. He is on staff at Evanston Hospital which makes me feel at ease just in case of an emergency. PM me if you want his info.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#10 of 19 Old 03-20-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Yes, you CAN legally refuse it. I didn't "get away" with it. It was a non-issue. They don't care. I told the doctor before hand I didn't want anything done to the baby without my consent (I had just met the doc that morning) including, but not limited to, eye drops/ointment/cir/any vaccines/bath. My husband stayed with the baby. I did not have to sign a waiver or anything, and I didn't mention anything about my religion.
#11 of 19 Old 03-20-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I witness parents refuse vit k, eye ointment, hep b, circ-ing & delayed bathing, etc at almost every birth I attend as a doula in Chicago area hospitals, including ENS. Your request (and reminder once the baby comes) won't be met with hostility. GL
#12 of 19 Old 03-20-2009, 02:53 PM

nak. Just keep in mind sometimes there are good reasons for the Vit K. The rest are almost never necessary, imo.
#13 of 19 Old 03-21-2009, 11:48 PM

I declined the eye goop when I had my baby at UIC 9 months ago. I talked about it with my doctor (ahead of time, while going through my birth plan) who recommended that I get a chlamydia test so that nobody could question me about it. I did, it was negative (duh) and when I was asked why I didn't want it I simply said it wasn't necessary because I didn't have any STDs. I was only asked once. Never threatened. I opted to get the Vit K. I couldn't think of a reason not to.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#14 of 19 Old 03-23-2009, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post
I delivered at ENH in 2007 and refused both. No problems. I would also recommend checking out Dr. Minkus as your baby's doc. He believes that it is the parent's responsibility to research and make all decisions regarding the baby's care. We have never vaccinated, refused most "routine" interventions and never given our child any prescription medication and he respects all our decisions. He is on staff at Evanston Hospital which makes me feel at ease just in case of an emergency. PM me if you want his info.
I do need a ped at Evanston. We actually live in WI, so my regular ped obviously won't be doing the hospital stuff. I'm glad to hear there's a good one there. PMing you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coobabysmom View Post
I witness parents refuse vit k, eye ointment, hep b, circ-ing & delayed bathing, etc at almost every birth I attend as a doula in Chicago area hospitals, including ENS. Your request (and reminder once the baby comes) won't be met with hostility. GL
I am so glad to hear this! I've been a little worried since my sister's birth at Evanston. Her mw was all about letting them wait and bond, but the nurse was getting pretty antsy about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulutattoo View Post
nak. Just keep in mind sometimes there are good reasons for the Vit K. The rest are almost never necessary, imo.
I totally agree. I'm not completely against vit. K - if we need it we need it. I just don't want to do it if we don't need too.

Thanks. I feel a lot better now!
#15 of 19 Old 03-29-2009, 11:32 PM

I had no issues declining any of it in IL. They just made a note in my chart and then they double checked with me when they checked me in at the hospital.
#16 of 19 Old 03-30-2009, 02:32 AM

I know everyone has responded already, but I refused eye goop and Hep B (but consented to Vit K) at Hinsdale Hospital just a few months ago. And I didn't have anything worked out ahead of time..... I switched HCPs at the last minute and my little guy came too early to work out those details.

No hassle at all.... but the RN was very quick with the VitK needle. It was actually in his leg when the MW and doula both yelled "ACK! Did you guys want that?" before she pushed the plunger. Luckily we had said yes, but in the rush they wanted to confirm. The poor nurse felt so bad!

Also no hassle about circ. Just "Do you want it done?" and I said no. End of story.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#17 of 19 Old 03-30-2009, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm glad to hear more people have no encountered any trouble. I appreciate the responses!
#18 of 19 Old 05-19-2009, 09:56 PM

We refused eye stuff and hep b shot at Kishwaukee Community Hospital. Had to sign a waiver. I talked my cnm into giving dd liquid vit k instead of the shot, she spewed it up a little later, so I was quite happy
#19 of 19 Old 05-22-2009, 12:50 PM

Didn't read the replies, but wanted to state that I met w/ a pediatrician last week and asked all these questions.

You can give the oral the nurses just need to witness you giving it. You can refuse the eye goop as well, just be sure to note it in your chart- the L&D nurse has to write it in so that everyone knows.

As far as the Hep B, it depends on the pediatrician. Some give it at the hospital, some don't. My new ped. doesnt do it at the hospital, so be sure to ask your ped. what he/she does. If you don't want it, it has to be noted on your chart as well.

Rhiana mom of 4
Emmaleigh Claire born 8-7-09 :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page