Moving to Chicago -- help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-22-2009, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're moving from Denver to the Chicago area (probably NW suburbs) at the end of May. I'm especially interested in finding out about holistic (homeopathy- and herbal remedy-friendly) pediatricians and family doctors; naturopaths; and Reggio-Emilia schools, if there are any. My son was enrolled for next year at a R-E kindergarten, and I am absolutely heartsick to leave it. Any help you can give me would be so appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance, wise mamas.
#2 of 16 Old 03-23-2009, 01:52 PM

The largest holistic friendly practice in Chicago is Homefirst (www.homefirst.com). They have several offices throughout the suburbs. I also hear good things about Dr. Elvove but he is way up in Libertyville (not really the NW suburbs.) www.elvovemd.com. Not sure about the school thing. Good luck!

Amy
SAHM to a super sweet and sensitive 2 year old and a happy giggle-monster baby (1/2010).
#3 of 16 Old 03-23-2009, 03:59 PM
acp

I don't have personal experience with them, but I will say that there are pretty mixed reviews about Homefirst on here if you do a search...
Don't know how homeopathic/herbal-friendly they are, but both Dr. Minkus (ped in Skokie) and Fred Ettner (family practice doc) in Evanston are considered very AP-, BFing, non-vax friendly. We see Dr. Ettner and I love him.
I love the Reggio-Emilia philosophy, but don't know of any schools here that use it, though I'm sure there are some. Hopefully some others can help!
#4 of 16 Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 PM

We see Dr.Minkus who works through what was known as Evanston Hospital (it has another name now and I'm drawing a blank). He has been a wonderful doc - we do not vaccinate, refuse most "routine" testing and do not keep the visit schedule as dictated by AAP. Dr. Minkus supports our decisions and always has warm, kind and supporting words for us regarding all of the "alternative" things we do. He promotes extended breastfeeding and homebirth (in fact he was just in Springfield speaking to congress regarding the legal rights of homebirth midwives in Illinois). He has never recommended any conventional medicines for our son and supports our decision to use homeopathics. He believes that an educated, loving, and open-hearted parent is competent to make most, if not all, medical decisions regarding their child.

My father-in-law is an MD ("retired" orthopedic surgeon)who is in the process of opening a homeopathic/integrative medicine clinic in St. Charles - its pretty far south-west and he does not treat children, but if you ever needed a consultation or advice about homeopathy he would be more than happy to help. He may be able to help you find a practitioner in your area as he is pretty networked.

And, just as an aside, HomeFirst is a huge group here that practices "alternative" medicine, but those who I know who have gone to them have had a number of issues with their practice. Some have complained of some crazy billing problems and having a hard time getting in to see the doc of their choice. Also, it is a heavily Christian based group and more than once I have heard of the doctors praying during a homebirth labor/delivery. That's cool if it's your thing - I am sure that prayer is a very powerful and comforting thing to some women during that time - but the women I know who birthed with them are Jewish like me and really did not want that type of prayer. Just seemed kind of strange to them that nobody asked the what their wishes were in regards to that.

Good luck with your move and welcome to the area!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#5 of 16 Old 03-24-2009, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, all -- this is great information and gives me a lot to consider. We will be there at the end of the week, and our favorite house (judging from the photos!) is in Arlington Heights. So we'll see what kind of a drive we're looking at for some of these. I am totally cowed by the idea of the traffic. I spent about 12 hours in traffic on the Kennedy Expressway once. That's my knowledge of Chicago.

Any other good mama sources you can recommend?

Thank you!!
#6 of 16 Old 03-24-2009, 06:06 PM

Pediatrician: Jennifer Schening, DO. She is out of South Elgin. Okay with no vax, BF friendly, uses alternative remedies before jumping on conventional.

Homeopaths: Dr Shepperd or Fiore in Lombard. A dying breed.
http://www.centerforintegralhealth.com/about.htm

you could google for R-E schools. i imagine they are far and few between.

welcome to the area
#7 of 16 Old 03-25-2009, 12:36 PM

The doctors at Homefirst are great pedi's. They do homebirths, but you don't have to have a homebirth to use them as your pedi. (We live in IN, so we couldn't use them for homebirth, just as pedi's.)

They are natural and all that jazz. Vax and non-circ friendly, among other things (like giving my son probiotics instead of antibiotics) ....I really like them. They have several Chicago locations. www.homefirst.com We use Dr. Peter Rosi. HTH.
#8 of 16 Old 03-26-2009, 11:29 AM

We love Dr. Elvove and his office staff, he is no pressure and pretty much respects your decision and currently DD is 6 months and not vaxed. Libertyville is up north, however depending on where you are located in the NW burbs it might not be that far of a haul.

There are mixed reviews here on Homefirst that you can search. While I don't have personal experience with the doctors, I can say the few times I phoned the Rolling Meadows locale the office staff was not very friendly. They also charge a hefty concierge fee for homebirth services outside of insurance.

As for naturopaths we've been going to The Center for Holistic Medicine in Riverwoods/Deerfield (which isn't far from A.H. or other NW burbs) for about the last 3 years and we love them and they have a host of services and apothecary on site so it's convienient.
http://www.holistic-medicine.com/
#9 of 16 Old 03-26-2009, 03:39 PM

Hmmm, I'm not sure about R-E schools. There are 2 Waldorf Schools (Four Winds Waldorf School and Chicago Waldorf School) which are each about 45 min. from A.H., but I can't say that I'd recommend the commute (especially if you don't love traffic).

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
#10 of 16 Old 03-28-2009, 10:50 PM

I used to recommend Minkus as well, but I became more and more disenchanted with that practice for a multitude of reasons. I noticed that he became less and less helpful with our delayed vaccinations til he was essentially recommending all of them but varicella, and there were several instances were his actions and suggestions (or inactions) were not in our best interest at all. I had some major issues with the staff and the other drs. in the practice are not ap at all and some very condescending.
I have heard good things about Dr. Ettner in Evanston, but that might be a bit far for you. Based on my exp. here, I'm beginning to wonder if the family practice docs in general are more open to letting you make your own decisions without a hassle or without so much unsolicited advice. :

There are some great AP and babywearing groups out in Naperville, but that's far! Not sure about near Arlington Heights. There was an AP group in Evanston- not sure if it's still active.
#11 of 16 Old 03-30-2009, 02:39 AM

The only R-E school I'm familiar with in the area is the Compass School in Naperville- very far from Arlington Heights. I don't see how the commute would be at all practical on a regular basis.

http://www.thecompassschool.com/illinoisnapierville.htm

If you contact them, they might know of additional resources closer to where you will be living.

Arlington Heights is a great area, but Naperville is very similar. If the R-E experience is that important to your family, you may want to consider looking into homes in Naperville. NV is also on the train line into the city.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#12 of 16 Old 03-30-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belia View Post
The only R-E school I'm familiar with in the area is the Compass School in Naperville- very far from Arlington Heights. I don't see how the commute would be at all practical on a regular basis.

http://www.thecompassschool.com/illinoisnapierville.htm

If you contact them, they might know of additional resources closer to where you will be living.

Arlington Heights is a great area, but Naperville is very similar. If the R-E experience is that important to your family, you may want to consider looking into homes in Naperville. NV is also on the train line into the city.
This is the only R-E school I'm familiar with as well. Good luck with your move!

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
#13 of 16 Old 04-13-2009, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all the help. Gives me a lot to think about. We'll be up there at the end of May (and then visiting family through the end of June), so I'll probably have more questions -- and I'll keep checking the other threads!

Thanks again!
#14 of 16 Old 04-13-2009, 03:03 PM

WELCOME! We love Dr Minkus. Heard great things about Dr Ettner- my midwives recommended him. Read bad things about Homefirst, but my chiro loves them and had 2 homebirths with them.

Accupuncturist-herbalist (homebirthing mama, anti vax):
Claudette Baker of Glenview Healing Arts (847)998-8860
Chiro (homebirthing mama of 3, anti-vax):
Dr Melissa Longo of Midwest Chiro in Mt Prospect (847)259-6605
Hospital based midwife:
Debora Lesnick, CNM of Northshore Associates Evanston/Glenview (847)998-9600

Got pets? I LOVE Dr Ruffalo of Mt Plaines Animal Hospital in Mt Prospect at (847)259-0330 for care and kenneling.
#15 of 16 Old 05-07-2009, 02:51 AM

Apologies. Wrong Thread.
#16 of 16 Old 06-21-2011, 10:54 PM

I am not really happy with  Dr.Evolve. The office ia ALWAYS full of patients, long waiting.As for the Dr., he likes to prescribe antibiotics without going further.....

Going to change dr.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page