fishing and foraging/locavores in MO - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-29-2009, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I'm interested in learning to forage, but I have no idea where to even start. I know this fall I'm going to be taking advantage of the black walnuts nobody seems to want in my town. I was hoping someone on here has had experience with foraging in this state though and could give me hints on where to start and/or how to find more information on it. I live in mid missouri, by the way.

I'm also hoping to start fishing more this year, and to be able to eat what I catch. I don't expect to strike it especially lucky this year, and I know it will never be my main source of protein as my hubs isn't super fond of catfish, but I am hoping that in the future I'll be able to eat least decently supplement my food supply with home caught food. Any special fishing holes throughout the state that you can recommend? I know that often there are secrets to the trade, lol.

In general I'd like to welcome any locavores to this thread and hope we can help each other out! I'll be. back more later from what I've found in mid missouri anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2009, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would probably be careful where you fish. You'll want to make sure you're fishing from a clean river or lake, epspecially one that is spring fed. I would stay away from areas where there's a lot of industry or farms. My husband just got back from a trip to the Eleven point river and caught a really big trout.

As for foraging, there are a lot of edible plants. My husband likes to eat nettles. You can boil it in water and eat like greens or pasta. Morel mushrooms are out right now, but they don't last long. We discovered Pawpaw trees last year. I think they were fruiting late in the summer. They taste kind of like bananas with big seeds in them. Persimmons are great in the fall, usually after the first frost but last year they were good before the frost.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
Old 04-30-2009, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

I see you're in/near the St Louis area! How did you find out about foraging? i've had the good luck of having persimmons before, but not morels, nettles, or pawpaws. I'll be fishing from local streams with a good reputation so there really shouldn't be an issue of cleanliness.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:20 PM

I've learned a lot from my husband. He's a country boy. He has taken trips where he only eats off the land (back in his younger days). He still likes to eat as much free and local food as he can.

My dad found a bunch of morels in Illinois where he lives. He invited us to his house this weekend to help him eat them.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
Old 05-28-2009, 06:49 PM

Blackberries and elerberries can be seen right now growing in most ditches. Blackberries are nearing the end of the flowering stage and you should be picking in a few weeks. Elderberries are just starting to flower but you could scope them out now and check back in a month when they will be ripening.

We are in SW/SC MO and have a small family farm. We raise all our own meat and grow most of our own veggies and some fruit. If you have the space, you could start a small garden and grow lettuces, tomatoes, peppers, etc...and don't really need that much space to do it.

Rachel

Rachel
Mommy to DS13, DS12, DS7, DD5, DD3, and twin GIRLS : born at home in the water on 12/18/09
Old 05-31-2009, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

We have a garden up and ready, and hopefully we'll be even making some salsa this week!

I will totally have to keep a look out for berries! I love blackberries, I've never tried elderberries, but they are so expensive in the stores.

User Tag List