northside chicago ped + preschool info please - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 05-05-2009, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi i am looking for info on doctors and preschools or daycares in or near andersonville on the north side. i am moving there in july with dh, dd1 age 3 and dd2 3 months. i am hoping to set up dr. appts for shortly after we arrive, and would like to have some preschool programming this fall if at all possible. we are montessori types.. i would also love to know of any ap groups out that way, or other play groups, baby-sitting coops, etc. tia- molly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-05-2009, 10:41 PM
acp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We love Dr Fred Ettner - he's a family doc in Evanston (south Evanston) but that's not far at all from Andersonville. It's only a 20 min drive for me, and I'm farther south, in Lakeview. He's very pro-BFing, ok with skipped or delayed vaxing (doesn't recommend vaxing babies younger than 6 months in most cases), fine with all AP parenting, not prone to suggest lots of interventions, etc, and very competent. I also love that when I call after hours or on a weekend, he answers directly (has office phone routed to his cell).

For preschool, Rogers Park Montessori (actually in Andersonville) is supposed to be great, and I loved it when I visited recently, but good luck getting in... It's a lottery system, and is very popular, and their application period was back in March I think. We were told not even to apply for their toddler program, since all the spots were taken up with siblings. I think there are more spaces for the 3-6 year old preschool classes, but I'm sure they're all filled now. We're going to send DD to Park View Montessori (at Irving Park and Lake Shore Dr) in September. Since we haven't started yet, I can't tell you much about it. I didn't like it as much as Rogers Park, but it had a lot more available spots (and will take people as they apply - no special application/lottery period).
#3 of 6 Old 05-06-2009, 04:19 PM

We live in Andersonville/Ravenswood and are in the process to switching to a family practice doc. She's been recommended by a few people on here, Dr. Cano at Advocate Ravenswood Family practice at 4600 N Ravenswood.

In terms of preschools... I knew someone that sent their son to Parkview Montessori and was very happy with the program. Rogers Park Montessori is very close to us so we watch the train of minivans and SUVs picking up the kids. They are definitely well off families and the facility is beautiful.

I've also heard excellent things about Chicago Montessori: http://www.chicagomontessori.org/

There is also Near North Montessori: http://nnms.org/

HTH
Diane

#4 of 6 Old 05-06-2009, 07:56 PM

Welcome to Andersonville! We love it here. I don't know where you're moving from, but the thing about Montessori Schools here is that they are almost all private. And they are VERY expensive. Also, most private schools around here do their applications in the previous December. Parkview is different in that regard.

My daughter goes to Families Together Cooperative Nursery School which isn't Montessori but it is play-based and we love it. From what I hear both Nursery classes are full for the fall, but your 3YO could go in the Mixed Age class which meets afternoons.

Also, she can go for free, guaranteed to your neighborhood school. Depending on where you live that would be Peirce (good school) or Trumbull (not so good). But of course neither of those are Montessori.
#5 of 6 Old 05-07-2009, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the info!! we're looking forward to the move (from philadelphia). my husband and i lived there about a decade ago (!) before we had kids. should be fun!- molly
#6 of 6 Old 05-20-2009, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There are also two Montessori Schools in Evanston: Midwest Montessori and Chiaravalle Montessori. Both would be about a 20 min drive from where you are.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page