Cost of nanny in Chicago area? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 05-19-2009, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm still early in my pregnancy but thinking about future childcare, as it looks like I'll have to go back to work full time. Other than staying home, my ideal situation would be a nanny who comes to our home weekdays. I'm having some trouble finding out what that might cost, though.

Anyone have an idea of the typical costs? (We live on the far north side of Chicago.) For those of you who have or had a nanny, what did you think of the experience? How did you find the person? Any advice for approaching this issue?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-19-2009, 04:00 PM

The going rate for a come and go nanny is $10-$15 per hour, depending on experience and responsibilities.

You can find a nanny on craigslist, NPN or other families that you run into.
#3 of 8 Old 05-20-2009, 12:02 AM

At the very least $500/wk, a friend of mine used to nanny in lakeview and she was making $900/wk.

#4 of 8 Old 05-20-2009, 09:51 AM

Have you thought about live-in? We have an au-pair. We found it the cheapest for in our home care. It is about $300/week. Check out aupair in America or cultural care. The bonus is that our youngest 2 understand spanish fluently I have a friend whose kids speak Thai.
#5 of 8 Old 05-20-2009, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We found our nanny through SitterCity by posting an ad. We looked at agencies, but the fees were so steep and the quality of the applicants seemed just as good if not better on SitterCity. I would say the going rate is $12-15.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#6 of 8 Old 05-20-2009, 10:30 PM

When I was a nanny I made $300/wk and that was 10 years ago. Also factor in vacations, insurance, holidays, sick days, etc...
#7 of 8 Old 05-20-2009, 11:56 PM
acp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Agreed on $12-15. We paid our nanny $13/hour.
Also, if you do it legally, factor in money for taxes (unemployment and medicare/soc sec - usually you have to offer to pay both sides of the entitlement taxes).

You can look through an agency (most expensive), sitter city, northside parents network, word of mouth, craigs list (which i've heard the fewest good things about). THere are a LOT of nannies looking for work now, from what I hear, since a lot are losing jobs due to the economy.

If you decide to go this route, I have more specific advice - we've had nannies, and I've generally had a good experience, but have some thoughts now after three different nanny searches (we lost the first two due to personal issues that made them have to stop working, but i also learned things in both instances about what to look for in any future search).
#8 of 8 Old 05-22-2009, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, all very helpful advice! ACP, any insight you have on finding the right nanny would be great. Seems like the cost might be a little too steep on our own, but we have a close relative who also needs childcare for their 1 her one year old, so we're talking about pooling resources together.

Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page