OB/Midwife Recommendations in Lee's Summit/Blue Springs/Independence - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-30-2009, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I just found out we're expecting, but we just moved and don't know anyone to ask! We want a natural birth with no to few interventions, and we aren't decided on home birth with midwife or hospital birth yet.

Thank you! :

Katie - lovin' on DH, DD (2/10), DS (3/11), and just got one of these pos.gif  !!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009, 12:16 AM

I used Suzanne Ryan and really like her and was happy with her. There are a LOT of mideives here. Are you wanting a homebirth? If you want a hospital birth you will have a hardtime finding a midwife for that.
I am a doula and can ask my fellow doulas about good hosp. docs.
Mariah
Old 06-02-2009, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Right now, we're looking into both. My husband isn't totally on board with a home birth yet so we decided to meet a few midwives and also an OB and see what we feel after that. I would LOVE some hospital doctor recs! Thank you!

Katie - lovin' on DH, DD (2/10), DS (3/11), and just got one of these pos.gif  !!!

Old 06-04-2009, 12:39 AM

There is an OB office in Overland Park, KS that's really good. It's a bit of a drive (approx. 35 min from Independence), but we felt it was worth it. The dr has many midwives on staff, and they're willing to do hospital births. The clinic is called For Women Only.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:04 PM

I have not been online in a few days...sorry for the late response. I will ask around, I should in a day or two about docs in that area.
Do know that no midwives deliver at hosp anymore except research and KU. there was a HUGE shift in maternity care last summer/fall. Options are not so good right now.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dr. Bohon is really good if you want a natural minded OB and she delivers at St. Luke's on the Plaza. There's also a fantastic home birth midwife in Lee's Summit that I think we will use for our next, but I don't have her name on me.

Lee's Summit also has an awesome natural baby and mama store called Happybottomus. It's on Douglas downtown. Their website is www.happybottomus.com and they have a professional referral page on there as well.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 PM

ok here are the recomendations from my doula group

I suggest Deb Bersano at the Truman Lakewood Hospital Clinics. She is a CNM and I have had excellent experiences with her!!!

Hi there
I had an OB with my last 2. Her name is Dr. Lemberger and she is with the Independence Womens Clinic. She worked very well with my family and my doula, she let me go as natural as I wanted (NO Arom, No epi, No IV, No pit, No Vax's, etc.) However, I wasn't crazy about Centerpoint. And that's the only place she delivers. But I honestly dont think one hospital is better than another :/

I hope these help.

Call any hosp based midwife and make sure she is delivering at hosp. still. most are not now.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaiter View Post
I have not been online in a few days...sorry for the late response. I will ask around, I should in a day or two about docs in that area.
Do know that no midwives deliver at hosp anymore except research and KU. there was a HUGE shift in maternity care last summer/fall. Options are not so good right now.
Do you know if this applies to the kansas side also? I finally got insurance through dh's work and there were 2 midwifes listed in the book in JOCO, but i looked online and also called and they are no longer covered by our insurance. I am so bummed as the nearest CNM covered is on the Plaza so i am close to convincing dh it would be better to have a home birth. Of course we are only ttc atm so we've still got a lot of time to decide.

Any good docs/midwifes in the JOCO side?

Thanks

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
Old 06-21-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pictureframe View Post
Right now, we're looking into both. My husband isn't totally on board with a home birth yet so we decided to meet a few midwives and also an OB and see what we feel after that. I would LOVE some hospital doctor recs! Thank you!

Yeah my dh doesn't like the idea of homebirth either, never mind the fact that he was born at home in a small village in india 30 years ago....

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
Old 06-22-2009, 10:54 AM

Mamas, my husband was very homebirth skeptical until he met with midwives and grilled them about their care. He has done a 180 and is now a huge supporter. Our experience was amazing. If you have access to midwives, I encourage you to give it a real shot!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
Old 06-23-2009, 10:11 AM

as far as I know the midwifes devliering in JOCO are a NOGO unless you do a homebirth.
there is a brith center in KCKS I do not believe INS is accepted there.
http://www.mercyandtruth.com/Birth%2...h%20Center.htm

the plaza midwife still delivers I belive and the research midwifes still deliver.

My hubby was not on board at first with a HB but I had the midwife come and talk to us and he did change his mind.
Now he would never go back unless we really needed to.

Most midwifes are not covered by INS because it is considered alternative care.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know some of the women who work at the birth center and they are wonderful! If we weren't planning a hb for our next I would definitely go there. They even have a room with a huge birthing tub if you want a waterbirth.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Old 07-02-2009, 10:52 PM

I used Kimberly Negrete CNM, out of Healthcare for Women in Independence. Their office is located in Centerpointe Hospital, they deliver there or St Mary's in Blue Spings. I delivered at St Mary's in Blue Springs with Kimberly as my midwife and had a wonderful experience. Un-medicated natural birth, Kimberly was great and totally respected all of our wishes as well as all of the nurses at the hospital.
I have no complaints about my experience!

Jenni Wife to Jason and Mommy to Enza 9/08 energy.gifand Grayson 1/11 h20homebirth.gif   novaxnocirc.gif lactivist.gif

Old 07-11-2009, 11:43 AM

I delivered in January at St. Lukes on the Plaza under the care of a midwife in Dr. Bohons group....my midwife happened to be off the weekend I went into labor and Dr. Bohon delivered my baby. I loved my midwife.....her name is Pam Aumann (sp?) I do know she is no longer with Dr. Bohon though. I labored at home most of my labor and was only at the hospital for about 2 hours before I had her. St. Lukes is an older hospital and not real "pretty" to look at....the rooms are kind of small. (I delivered my first at St. Mary's in Blue Springs and it was new and huge) but, St. Lukes was VERY good about my wishes....natural...no epidural, no episotomy, breast feeding, no vax. The nurses at St. Lukes were VERY knowledgeable about breastfeeding....I also had a doula....she set up a goddess altar for me in the room...the nurses were accepting of that also. I was actually surprised that there was no pressure from anyone about no vaxing and I was super impressed with the breastfeeding support. When I had my oldest in Blue Springs I went completely the opposite way....drugs, vax, I breastfed but, there wasn't nearly the support there....I LOVED the way the birth of my 2nd daughter went....it made me want to have more babies. Good luck to you with what you decide! Robyn
Old 07-12-2009, 12:37 PM

Check out Midwest Midwifery. http://www.kcmidwife.com

They are a group of 3 midwives that have their own office practice. They deliver at Research Medical Center but they have offices at Research in Belton, Lee's Summit Hospital & NKC Hospital. I was going to be seeing them but they now have to refer VBAC moms without a prior vaginal birth to their partnering OB, who is recommended for laboring/birthing the way you wish. His name is Dr. Howard Schwartz but he only sees patients at Research Medical Center in KCMO and NKC Hospital. I really like him.

Avoid Rockhill Women's Healthcare, they're at St Luke's in Lee's Summit & at St Joseph Medical Center. I was with them for DD.

freethinking mom to DD 4/2006 and DS 1/2010
Old 07-23-2009, 01:38 AM

I don't know where one of the posters is getting their information, but there are still midwives delivering at hospitals in JoCo. The Women's Healthcare Group has three or four midwives in their practice - they deliver at Overland Park Regional and Shawnee Mission Med. Their offices are at 435 and Quivira. I just saw one of the mw's in that practice last week and have several friends seeing them for upcoming births as well. I haven't looked at my current insurance, but my last one didn't list the mw's but listed the docs in that practice. All the bills we had during my last pg. were billed through one of the docs even though I always saw a mw. Just fyi in case you're not seeing the mw's on your insurance coverage right away.

Also, the mw I'm currently seeing in that practice (Julie Gorenc) told me one of their former mw's is starting to see patients at St. Mary's in Blue Springs and St. Joseph in KCMO. Her name is Pam Pray.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
ok here are the recomendations from my doula group

I suggest Deb Bersano at the Truman Lakewood Hospital Clinics. She is a CNM and I have had excellent experiences with her!!!

Hi there
I had an OB with my last 2. Her name is Dr. Lemberger and she is with the Independence Womens Clinic. She worked very well with my family and my doula, she let me go as natural as I wanted (NO Arom, No epi, No IV, No pit, No Vax's, etc.) However, I wasn't crazy about Centerpoint. And that's the only place she delivers. But I honestly dont think one hospital is better than another :/

I hope these help.

Call any hosp based midwife and make sure she is delivering at hosp. still. most are not now.
****edited because I guess warning someone about a non-ap OB is against the rules.

If you want to do a natural hospital birth - going over the the Kansas side to Research is more than worth it.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:19 AM

Quote:
as far as I know the midwifes devliering in JOCO are a NOGO unless you do a homebirth.
there is a brith center in KCKS I do not believe INS is accepted there.
http://www.mercyandtruth.com/Birth%2...h%20Center.htm

the plaza midwife still delivers I belive and the research midwifes still deliver.

My hubby was not on board at first with a HB but I had the midwife come and talk to us and he did change his mind.
Now he would never go back unless we really needed to.

Most midwifes are not covered by INS because it is considered alternative care.
I am not sure if Mercy and Truth takes ins now but my ins plan had them listed when it was Sage Femme

Midwives are covered under many ins plans. I know some are on my ins.

joyfulmomof1 is correct, midwives do deliver in KS hospitals.

If you are wanting a homebirth it is fairly liberal in Kansas (as far as that goes anyways) are you wanting a CNM or a lay Midwife? What sort of provider are you looking for? There is a pretty wide range

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 09-10-2009, 04:10 PM

Dr. piquard and dr. carriker are only taking patients on a case by case basis, dr. jessie holmes didn't have an appt till 2010. I did get a an appt. at For women only in mid november, all my top doc. reccs. i reviewed are swamped it seems.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:09 PM

I recommend Deb Bersano 100%. I know the above woman does not, based on her friend's story. As I know every birth is different, every experience is different, but she has my complete whole hearted recommendation. After interviewing 5 midwives I decided to go with Deb based on our rapport and her knowledge. Upon each visit I felt more and more comfortable with Deb and have absolutely no regrets that she helped catch/deliver my child. I was almost two weeks late in mid july of this year and was embarrassingly one of those mothers that is always on the phone with either her nurse or midwife or at the hospital getting checked out to see if everything is alright. Deb never once made me feel like I was overly cautious or concerned and always reassured me that it was better to be safe than sorry. Finally the day came and I labored for 12 hours at home and knew from the feeling of my contractions, and not being able to speak through my contractions that I was ready to go to the hospital. When I arrived, Deb was there and ready to greet me at midnight. Even though I was only 1 cm dilated and I was still 90% effaced (like I had been for 2 weeks!) she insisted I stay and gear up to have a baby. Sure enough, 6 hours later I had my baby girl au natural. Deb was never in my face or bothersome and let me labor in peace and quiet and was attentive when I needed her to be. She is an amazing woman and an amazing soul and I still go back to visit with her and check in so she can see my daughter. She not only delivers at Truman Medical Center Lakewood but also Grain Valley. 

Old 02-25-2012, 02:44 PM

There are some documentaries on this subject if you're interested in showing them to reluctant or uninformed husbands.

The Business of Being Born - Also available on Netflix Streaming
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DgLf8hHMgo

Pregnant in America:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/235715/pregnant-in-america

FULL DISCLOSURE
I am not for nor against at-home births.  
In fact, I am not pregnant.

User Tag List