Chicago grocery stores - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 46 Old 07-07-2009, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, we're in Uptown and honestly, I go to 4 different stores every week for the best price on what I need. Usually (but not always) it breaks down like this:

Aldi's: canned tomatoes, canned beans, eggs (recently $0.79/dozen), avocados, mangos, canned olives

Trader Joe's [usually has the best prices on organic stuff]: whatever canned beans I couldn't get at Aldi, pasta, pasta sauce, soy/rice milk, hummus, bags of in-season organic fruits and veg, nitrite-free hot dogs, chicken sausages, cheese

Jewel: sometimes they have sales that get me better prices on organic produce, nitrite-free deli turkey, soy/rice milk

Whole Foods: on-sale/in-season produce, chicken/pork/beef in bulk [it's usually 1 or 2 dollars less expensive per lb than if you get it at the meat counter; I divide it into 1-lb packs at home and freeze what we're not using immediately], any of their 365-organic stuff, their by-the-lb olive bar (a splurge)

Aldi, Jewel and Whole Foods all have websites where I check the specials for that week, although Jewel doesn't always advertise everything. For instance, recently Veggie Booty was 2/$4 which is a great price but I only found that out at the store so we stocked up.

Totally OT, it's interesting to keep track this way because you see the fluctuations in price pertaining to your particular shopping habits. We watched TJs nudge their prices up in 20 and 30 cent increments every month or so over the past 2 years, then when the economy really took a dive, the prices on basics started to drop again. And Jewel is advertising all over the place how they dropped prices up to 30%, but what they don't advertise is that they upped the prices on quite a few things in the weeks leading up to their "price drop". And I have the receipts to prove it.

Jfly-by-nursing1.gif, partner-in-crime to Dfamilybed2.gif, mama to run.gif4, including our brand new rainbow1284.gifbaby.gifmissing my 7-wk-er

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 46 Old 07-08-2009, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can someone tell me if the Woodmans in North Aurora has Cheese Curds? Seriously... I'm on the NW side and hoping not to trek to Kenosha.

Aldi labels food for allergens, I think it's federally required. As an FYI, TJs and Aldi are owned by the same company. No surprise as they have a similar concept.

Like others, I shop 'here and there' for groceries. Right now, I have the time and inclination to do so, but I'm sure it's not for everyone and won't always be possible. I go to Jewel/Dominick's for loss leaders, Butera (ugh, hate that store) for Deli and specials, Aldi for staples, and Stanleys for produce, and TJs for random things I don't get elsewhere. Sometimes I trek out to Meijer/Sam's Club for meat and general groceries. Yeah, a little ridiculous!

This leaves our grocery bill pretty minimal. I keep an internal price book and know what my prices are to stock up on items. The biggest thing is meat which I only buy on the sale price and freeze it.

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

#33 of 46 Old 07-08-2009, 08:31 PM

Woodman's is employee-owned as well, so the people who work there are super-nice! A big plus. Man, I love that store. It's worth the hike.

DD1 = 8 yrs *** DD2 = 6 yrs
#34 of 46 Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 AM

It is federally regulated to label for food allergens... to an extent. They just have to put them on the ingredient label now, which is really not that helpful...

Some companies go a step further, which I like and label if it was also "made in a facility with.." That is what most families with food allergies need, to make a good decision. Cross contamination is still a problem, so even if something does not contain the ingredient, if it was made on the same equipment with the ingredient, it's nice if they let you know that. Some brands I feel safe with, some I don't. I will check out Aldi's I guess. I know a lot of people who DO shop there. I have never been.

But the last two weeks, at Jewel I have saved a ton. I get Kraft shredded cheese for $1.69 a bag, it's usually $4.00! I also got a lot of other stuff for cheap... so I only spent $250 last week, including 3 trips to the farmer's market! So that was really good.

I am hoping to cut it back even more this week. DH has been laid off, so now it's really important to save.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#35 of 46 Old 07-09-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
Yes, I'm VERY near Crystal Lake.
...... I am near tears some weeks because I get drawn back in to Jewel (the moth to the flame, I feel like) and the money just flies out of our account.
If you are near Crystal Lake then IMO it is worth the drive to Woodman's on Randall in Carpentersville. Their prices are great, and they have many natural and alternative food options. The only thing I go into Jewel for is the Vienna Beef Natural hot dogs, which for some reason Woodman's doesn't carry. Every time I buy anything else at Jewel I regret it, because it would cost so much less at Woodman's.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#36 of 46 Old 07-09-2009, 03:11 PM

Maybe dh and I will drive out there this weekend. We are on the far north side of CL, near Prairie Ridge HS, and it's a long hike for us to Woodmans. Maybe 40 minutes.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#37 of 46 Old 07-10-2009, 01:53 AM

I shop all over the place. I think Jewel has gotten so out of hand with their prices. The price drops are a joke.

Dominick's has some good sales.

Meijer's is great.

Whole Foods is ok for some things.

I started shopping at TJ's when it first opened in Orland Park when people said Trader What's? LOL.

I think Aldi is kinda gross and too many processed items for me.

Ultra is nasty. Won't go in there.
#38 of 46 Old 07-10-2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson View Post
Can someone tell me if the Woodmans in North Aurora has Cheese Curds?
Oberweis has them!
#39 of 46 Old 07-10-2009, 10:38 AM

Well, I had to share my story from Jewel yesterday...

I got everything we needed and I only spent $130!!!!:::

I was seriously so shocked and excited that I called two people on the way home to tell them. LOL

We did the Farmer's Market yesterday for produce, where I got tomatoes, zucchini, onions, cukes, and blueberries. Then I went to Jewel and got some other stuff for the week, LOTS of stuff, including treats. I only spent 130 and I almost fell over. I had a coupon for 10 off of my order of $160 or more and when I handed it to the guy and he said, "uh, you didn't spend $160." I almost started jumping for joy. I really just assumed it would be over 200! So I was happy. I stocked up on cheese (we'll use it, trust me) and even got frozen Home Run Inn pizzas and chips and other goodies! It was so great.

Of course that brings my total for the week, including the farmer's market, to $220. BUT, that is down $80+ from my usual. So really worth celebrating. :::

#40 of 46 Old 07-10-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Can someone tell me if the Woodmans in North Aurora has Cheese Curds? Seriously... I'm on the NW side and hoping not to trek to Kenosha.
Yep. I've never bought them, but my husband always points them out...perhaps that I hint They have a surprisingly large cheese selection with a bulk of it from Wisconsin companies.

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
#41 of 46 Old 07-10-2009, 02:12 PM

Cool. I didn't want to drive to Kenosha, but you know... the baby, she needs them.

I laugh so hard at Jewel's 'price drops'. There was one food product that was like $8 and they dropped it to $4 or something insane like that. Should it ever have cost $8?! It was probably less at Dominicks.

It's really too bad so many of us have to trek around to get decent prices on food.

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

#42 of 46 Old 07-11-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotty View Post
Oberweis has them!
Have you looked at his politics? That fascist will get no money from me.

DD1 = 8 yrs *** DD2 = 6 yrs
#43 of 46 Old 07-11-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Cool. I didn't want to drive to Kenosha, but you know... the baby, she needs them.

I laugh so hard at Jewel's 'price drops'. There was one food product that was like $8 and they dropped it to $4 or something insane like that. Should it ever have cost $8?! It was probably less at Dominicks.

It's really too bad so many of us have to trek around to get decent prices on food.
Lol. I know. Jewel cracks me up. They always have Dean's ice cream on sale, buy one get one free. But it's 6.69 for the half gallon! At Woodman's and pretty much any other grocery store, it's only $3 or 3 and some change. It just kills me sometimes when I see people shopping in there. Though I guess it must be nice to have to worry about a budget

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
#44 of 46 Old 07-18-2009, 02:46 AM

what's gross about Aldi and Ultra Foods? 

#45 of 46 Old 07-30-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Literate View Post
Have you looked at his politics? That fascist will get no money from me.

I pay little to no attention to politics.
#46 of 46 Old 07-30-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMomma View Post
what's gross about Aldi and Ultra Foods? Geneva has a very nice, new Aldi. i use the one in West Chicago regularly. .
Out here they are dirty. Even the new ones. It's like a glorified warehouse of dirt and probably mice.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page