Chicago area - possible move suggestions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband MIGHT get an offer for a job that would be difficult to turn down. That would mean moving from Kansas (wichita area) to Chicago area. IF we do move, I would LOVE any input as to "good" suburbs (e.g., low crime, good schools, etc). My boys are currently 1 and 3 yrs old, but I would like to know that, once they do start school, there are options that are good (and safe...or at least as safe as anywhere in this day and time!)!
Thanks in advance for any input and help!
M

: currently not vaxing. love.gif Wife to awesome DH 10 yrs; Mama to DS1 8/06 and DS2 4/08; ribbonteal.gif for my mom who's 5 yr post, my grama who died of ovarian cancer 31 yrs ago
#2 of 30 Old 08-14-2009, 12:16 AM

Some suburbs: Naperville, Downer's Grove, Lisle, Oak Brook, Oak Park, Evanston, Skokie. Depends on how far you want to live from the city. Oak Park and Evanston border the city to the west and north, respectively.

Chicago itself would be my choice. But I'm biased!
#3 of 30 Old 08-14-2009, 12:23 AM

There are 'good' suburbs surrounding the city (bad ones too). Because traffic/transit can be a bear, I would suggest seeing where DH works and how he can get there, let us know the general vicinity. What is your commute tolerance?

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

#4 of 30 Old 08-14-2009, 04:13 PM

moved to the Illinois tribe.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#5 of 30 Old 08-16-2009, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

He would be working outside of the city (at an airport - though not sure right now which one). We have looked (online) at Plainfield..... would LOVE any input on this city (good, bad?, schools, etc) and if it is not actually a very good suburb to relocate to, where would be somewhere better to look????

: currently not vaxing. love.gif Wife to awesome DH 10 yrs; Mama to DS1 8/06 and DS2 4/08; ribbonteal.gif for my mom who's 5 yr post, my grama who died of ovarian cancer 31 yrs ago
#6 of 30 Old 08-16-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhinton View Post
He would be working outside of the city (at an airport - though not sure right now which one). We have looked (online) at Plainfield..... would LOVE any input on this city (good, bad?, schools, etc) and if it is not actually a very good suburb to relocate to, where would be somewhere better to look????
If it is a major airport like Midway or O'hare, it would be good to find that out as they are not really close. Plainfield to O'hare would be quite a commute.

My SIL lives in Plainfield and has for years. They love it and have watched the city grow over their 20 years there. They are the opposite of crunchy however, and their early 20-something girls are not really smart or inspired to do anything with their life so I have no idea how the Plainfield schools are as they are a product of their home environment.

Good luck. The Chicagoland metro area is huge. Hopefully you can find out a work location soon.
#7 of 30 Old 08-16-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Plainfield is FAR out from the city. It's just one cookie cutter subdivision after another..... Prices are great, yes, but that's about it.

~ deb, BFAR mommy to ds1 Dec 7, 2003, Jan 08, ds2 Sept 20, 2009
#8 of 30 Old 08-17-2009, 12:04 AM

If he's possibly going to be working at O'Hare, Chicago itself is a good place, as the northwestern neighborhoods are nice. Also, Elmwood Park and Niles are near.

If he's possibly going to be working at Midway, Chicago is a good choice as well, but maybe not in the neighborhoods directly surrounding the airport. Mt. Greenwood and Beverly are two neighborhoods that come to mind on the southside. Oak Lawn, Evergreen Park are nice suburbs that border the city. A little further south, but still a manageable commute, are Orland Park, Palos Heights.
#9 of 30 Old 08-17-2009, 11:19 PM
acp

As others have said, it's really impossible to answer this question until you know where he'll be working (which airport) since the metro area is so huge, and traffic can be a killer if you pick a spot that's not an easy commuting distance for him.
It also depends a lot what you're looking for in a suburb - cost-of-living, walkability, crunchiness, political leanings, "feel" of the place (i.e. real downtown vs lots of strip malls and cul-de-sacs and subdivisions). There are a lot of suburbs that fit your basic requirements of safe and good schools, but in terms of the other things, they're all over the map. And as others said, I also wouldn't rule out the city itself, which has some great neighborhoods that fit your requirements.

First, I'd say you should figure out where exactly he'll be looking and go from there.
#10 of 30 Old 08-18-2009, 10:38 AM

Naperville is right next to Plainfield, and it is fabulous! So much to do, so much you're close to, and the schools have been rated tops in the country. If there's a chance he'd be at a small airport like Dupage, St. Charles in wonderful, too. Wheaton, Glen Ellyn - nice options. But none of these are very close to the city. It is hard to say without knowing where he'd be working, but those suburbs are nice.

married to my best friend since july of '93... mama to sage, who came when the pumpkins came in '05... and logan, who came with the hoar frost in january '10
#11 of 30 Old 08-18-2009, 12:15 PM

Yep, definitely find out where your DH will be working before committing to an area. A poor location can make your life miserable and there are good/appropriate locations to be, it just depends where you need to go.

Sure Naperville is nice (DH and I went to school there), but Plainfield/Aurora are considerably more affordable and offer you the same level of access to amenities. I mean unless you're living in downtown Naperville, you're sitting all day on 59 to get anywhere, KWIM? Plus, it absolutely depends on your lifestyle/interests. My brother's family IS a Naperville family. Us, well, notsomuch, so we live in the city. I would say though that Plainfield/Aurora 'niceness' can't even be isolated to the town, IMO, its down to the subdivision level...

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

#12 of 30 Old 08-18-2009, 07:17 PM

Not only find out where he is working but here are some other questions:
  • How much do you want to spend on housing?
    How much space do you want?
    What are you looking for in a community?
    Do you mind alot of driving to get places or do you prefer cozier communities with less driving/ more walking?
    Is diversity important to you?
    Is finding other crunchy mamas/AP mamas important?
    How much of a commute time does your husband want/will he put up with?
#13 of 30 Old 08-18-2009, 07:19 PM

By the way, Oak Park is a 20 minute drive from both. :
#14 of 30 Old 08-24-2009, 02:30 PM

I live in West Dundee and I love it here.
It's only about 20 minutes to O'hare from here, but that's in moderate traffic, so it could be longer than that if you're going during rush hour. I'm not sure how long it takes to get to midway, but I can't imagine that would be a great commute.
My DS is only 5mo, so I don't have any personal experience with the schools, but my aunt and uncle who live here sent both their kids to public school and had a lot of good things to say about the schools here. There's also a charter school 20 minutes away and a few private schools really close.

Single Mama to Vincent 3/30/09
#15 of 30 Old 08-24-2009, 05:29 PM

If you live anywhere along the Orange or Blue lines in the city, you'll have a direct commute right to either airport. No driving or traffic! If you go with the city, I love love love Jefferson Park. Not sure about the schools though. I'm a product of CPS, but I went to a magnet school. There are many options for charter and magnet public schools in the city, you aren't stuck with just your neighborhood school.
#16 of 30 Old 09-18-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=3cuties;14253951]Not only find out where he is working but here are some other questions:
[LIST]
How much do you want to spend on housing?
How much space do you want?
What are you looking for in a community?
Do you mind alot of driving to get places or do you prefer cozier communities with less driving/ more walking?
Is diversity important to you?
Is finding other crunchy mamas/AP mamas important?
How much of a commute time does your husband want/will he put up with?

We are still not sure of a job....but IF he does get it, DH would be working at Midway airport.

Spend: we have a pretty low budget (approx. $150-$250K)
Space: 2-3 bedrooms ... BUT we have to have a yard - our two boys are used to a big yard and I would go crazy if they couldn't get their energy out outside!!!
Looking for: good schools, low crime, friendly, "crunchy" or at least able to make friends in the area who are crunchy
Community: we like to go jogging...and currently do so through neighborhoods - we don't mind a drive to get to "weekend stuff"... but would like groceries, etc relatively close.
Diversity: I don't care one way or the other....but I would like safe and with other families with similar values, incomes, etc.
YES - IF we do move up there - I would definitely want (need) to meet some other crunchy / AP mama's!!!
Commute: DH commutes about 30-45 minutes currently and would be ok with that again.

I would LOVE any input!!! I've "compared" (online with real estate, schools (a bit) and "city-data") Plainfield, Warrenville, Palos Hills, Hickory Hills and New Lenox. those are just the places I've looked thus far and seem similar to one another....we are VERY open to suggestions!!!!

#17 of 30 Old 09-19-2009, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Go west. With your budget, you can find something in the western suburbs. And since you want families like you and "safe" than I think you'd be more happy in the western (west, west, west) suburbs.

Giselle, natural living mama to three (and TTC our 4th)
Granola Babies - www.granolababies.com
Everything for your natural baby - visit online or in So. CA. Always free shipping within the USA.
#18 of 30 Old 09-19-2009, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

"west, west, west".... I am not sure though which cities to look at! Obviously, I can look at a map and see "west" cities, but I cannot tell which are more likely to fit my "criteria"!!

#19 of 30 Old 09-20-2009, 12:13 AM

Frankfort would be convenient to Midway - the Chicago Tribune had a great article about it today. I don't personally know it other than a co-worker at a previous job lived there, and he loved it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...0,842558.story

~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#20 of 30 Old 09-20-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:

Diversity: I don't care one way or the other....but I would like safe and with other families with similar values, incomes, etc.
My family likely doesn't have similar values and might not be safe enough for you so I don't know that I have any advice for you. I will just echo Giselle's advice and say "west west west".
#21 of 30 Old 09-21-2009, 12:02 AM

Southwest burbs (not west) are going to be your best bet then (accd. to your specific needs). I will tell you though, a 150-250 range isn't going to get you a whole lot, but it will get you a whole lot more than if you move anywhere worth moving in the city of Chicago or the northwest/western burbs...all have great areas but have very highly priced homes.

FWIW, we're in the sw burbs (Tinley Park) and my husband works about 20 min. northeast of Midway (still on the south side though)...sometimes his commute is 1 hr--1 hr 10 min. It depends on his hours. Even in the 'good' sw burbs you might only be able to get a "fixer upper"...or maybe with the market you'd get a great deal, who knows. So from living here currently and being raised in the south burbs here's what I recommend you check out: Lemont, Palos Heights, Orland Park (but more likely you'll be able to afford Orland Hills), Tinley Park...I wouldn't go further south than Tinley, just b/c it would be too long of a commute. Someone mentioned Frankfort and while it's a lovely town, it'd be a far commute. All of those towns have good schools and homes that might fit your price range and are all safe. PM me if you have specific questions. Good luck!

Mama to (5/04), : (8/05), : (6/07) & : (1/10)
since 7/02 :
#22 of 30 Old 09-21-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Can you specify what you mean by this mama?

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#23 of 30 Old 09-21-2009, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Regarding my previous post: I would like to clarify what I meant regarding diversity as it has come to my attention that I may not have been clear! First, I HONESTLY meant NO offense and if any was taken I sincerely apologize! Second, I will try to explain what I mean: to me it is more important to have safety, family values etc. in a city. I firmly believe that it does not make any difference what race a household is as long as there are family values; therefore, the "race" make up of a city is not important to me. And, yes, I do realize that there is nowhere that is 100% safe.

This is really what I want and what I meant: I would like to live in a city (or at least neighborhood) similar to the one we live in now; where I can feel comfortable letting my boys play in the yard; where the neighbors are friendly and will "watch out" for one anothers' kids and homes, pets, etc; where I don't have to feel like I have to have a home security alarm and be inside the house with it alarmed all the time.

I hope this is more clear.....and if not, please, let me know!!

#24 of 30 Old 09-21-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridie's Mama View Post
Southwest burbs (not west) are going to be your best bet then (accd. to your specific needs). I will tell you though, a 150-250 range isn't going to get you a whole lot, but it will get you a whole lot more than if you move anywhere worth moving in the city of Chicago or the northwest/western burbs...all have great areas but have very highly priced homes.

Someone mentioned Frankfort and while it's a lovely town, it'd be a far commute.
Agree with the first paragraph.
It would probably be about 45 min, but depend on his shift and traffic. OP, you need to know what an acceptable commute would be, and look within that area.

~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#25 of 30 Old 10-07-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:

We are still not sure of a job....but IF he does get it, DH would be working at Midway airport.

Spend: we have a pretty low budget (approx. $150-$250K)
Space: 2-3 bedrooms ... BUT we have to have a yard - our two boys are used to a big yard and I would go crazy if they couldn't get their energy out outside!!!
I would recommend Tinley Park, Orland Hills, Alsip, Crestwood and Oak Forest to start. Sometimes if you are closer to the city (like in Hickory Hills, Palos Hills) you are going to pay more for the same house you could get in Tinley just because of the shorter commute. You may be able to find something in Oak Lawn or Chicago Ridge also. You can find older homes that may need some work in your price range in these towns. I really love Tinley park, it has a cute downtown and a neighborhood feel. Believe me, I just spent a year house hunting in this area.
#26 of 30 Old 10-08-2009, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input!!!

We had thought the matter (of possible move) was finished and not gonna happen..... BUT all that changed and now it is even more likely that we will be moving up there.....

The thought of is right now is beyond overwhelming - DH would likely have to be up there within 2-4 weeks, which would mean I would be here to pack AND sell the house by myself with 2 boys (and a dog) who are not much help with either keeping house clean (for "showing") OR packing!!!

Beyond that, nearly all of my family is here (we live NEXT door to my mom and dad....which is wonderful actually) and the thought of my boys not being able to see their Mema and Papa whenever they want to just breaks my hear

With all of that said though, I do know that such a move as we are contemplating will bring about lots of new opportunities!! But, we are no closer to knowing where up there to move

#27 of 30 Old 10-08-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input!!!

We had thought the matter (of possible move) was finished and not gonna happen..... BUT all that changed and now it is even more likely that we will be moving up there.....

The thought of is right now is beyond overwhelming - DH would likely have to be up there within 2-4 weeks, which would mean I would be here to pack AND sell the house by myself with 2 boys (and a dog) who are not much help with either keeping house clean (for "showing") OR packing!!!

Beyond that, nearly all of my family is here (we live NEXT door to my mom and dad....which is wonderful actually) and the thought of my boys not being able to see their Mema and Papa whenever they want to just breaks my hear

With all of that said though, I do know that such a move as we are contemplating will bring about lots of new opportunities!! But, we are no closer to knowing where up there to move
If he gets the job, will it be Midway for sure? Have you been checking realtor.com or had a realtor check listings in the area? If you want you can always PM me with a town/area and I can tell you if it is decent area or not.

I understand how rough it would be to move away from parents. But you're right...it's a whole new opportunity!
#28 of 30 Old 10-09-2009, 01:30 PM

If you're going to be moving by Midway please feel free to PM me. I live literally right around the corner from there and know a lot about the area and schools over here. Hope everything goes well for you guys!
#29 of 30 Old 10-10-2009, 07:00 PM

We live in Woodridge, which is just east of Naperville, south of Lisle, west of Downers Grove. We are within a mile of a highway (I-355), which is right between I-88 and I-55, which is convenient if commuting to airports. My husband travels every week for work, and has no issues from where we are.

This is a great suburb, with large backyards, and open spaces....Woodridge prides itself on it's walking/running/bike paths. We live 2 blocks from one and it's gorgeous...

Not a well known suburb, but we live within 1.5 miles to the library, post-office, and have a Montessori nearby that my kids go to. The number of crunchy mamas keeps growing, and I have made some really good friends from meeting mamas moving to Woodridge from other cities through Mothering's forum.

You will definitely get a house for within the budget that you need and will definitely get a safe neighborhood...and great schools - about 20 kids per class, compared to the 27-30 kids per class in Naperville.

So many families on our block...and we all watch out for each others kids...
Our parks are actually used too!

Check us out:
http://www.vil.woodridge.il.us/
#30 of 30 Old 10-16-2009, 01:03 AM

We just moved to Bloomingdale in the summer and so far we're happy with it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page