West Sub vs. Advocate Illinois Masonic? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-27-2009, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! Has anyone experienced or attempted a comparison between the nurse midwives and hospitals/ABC rooms at West Sub. vs. Advocate Illinois Masonic? Would appreciate any feedback and opinions!

Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 02-15-2011, 12:41 PM

Just wondering if you ever got any feedback on this.  I am a fourth year medical student going into family practice.  I really want to get good training in natural childbirth and am trying to decide between those two programs. 

Thanks!

Kate

#3 of 8 Old 02-24-2011, 07:14 PM

Hello ladies! 

I'm familiar with both practices. I may be a little biased based on my own personal experience though. My first pregnancy in 2006 ended in miscarriage. For that pregnancy I saw the midwives at Advocate IL Masonic. They were nice and I got to see the birthing rooms in the hospital but everything was just ok to me. My second pregnancy in 2007 I saw the West Suburban Midwives in Oak Park that work with West Suburban Medical center. From day 1, I LOVED everything. The midwives were so much more personable and friendly, in my opinion. The birthing rooms at West Sub were wonderful, I loved the birthing tub. I would definitely recommend the West Suburban Midwives.

treehugger.gif wife (30) to DH (30) and mother todust.gif Maia Solis  waterbirth.jpg (8-29-07) and hearts.gifAria Rain  (11-13-11). Expecting baby #3 at the beginning of May 2014.

lactivist.gif     bfinfant.gif    saynovax.gif    femalesling.GIF      cd.gif    toddler.gif  

#4 of 8 Old 02-27-2011, 09:04 AM

I've been to both as a doula. I've attended two births at Illinois Masonic and one at West Suburban. My experience with both hospitals is pretty limited, so you should probably take my opinion with a grain of salt. That being said, from what I've seen, I like West Suburban a lot better. The rooms are nicer, the staff is a little more friendly, and the midwives seem a little more hands off. But, again, I only have experience with two of the midwives at Masonic and one at West Sub. 

Single Mama to Vincent 3/30/09
#5 of 8 Old 03-03-2011, 10:42 AM

Hands down. No question-- West Sub....

#6 of 8 Old 03-30-2011, 06:22 PM

I love West Sub. I had my son with WSMA in oak park and I loved their care. Most of my students have their births at West Sub and have had great experiences.

Lucy Coria
Brio Birth Childbirth Educator
Berwyn Il
#7 of 8 Old 04-03-2011, 05:15 PM

I had a beautiful birth at West Sub, but attended childbirth classes at Masonic.  My impression of West Sub was much better.  If it makes any difference to you, I'm pretty sure West Sub has the only ABC rooms in the metro Chicago area where you can actually give birth in the tub (as opposed to laboring there and having to give birth out of water).  

I'm Rach, full-time mama and part-time doula.  I love my city life with Mr. J stillheart.gif, Little J diaper.gif (05/03/10), and brand new Baby V love.gif (02/11/13)!

#8 of 8 Old 04-16-2011, 01:52 PM

As a doula I've attended 7 births at IL Masonic. All have been low intervention and all epidural free. There is a huge difference between L&D and the ABC rooms. The two births in the ABC have been calm, at moms pace, barely any nurses interfering(they do heart tones every so often). On L&D it is nosier, small rooms with a less then great shower. Also Masonic doesnt do waterbirths, where as West Sub does. I would make a list of pros and cons for both and think about what type of birth you are hoping for and see which fits best that way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page