Chicago Albany Park mommas- I know you're out there - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any one live in the immediate vicinity of foster and kedzie? Know about it? Is it safe? I am interested in the neighborhood but have heard of some active gangs in the surronding areas. I have a two year old and a baby who I take out by myself only during the day. I get distracted enough chasing them so I don't need to worry too much about "watching my back." I like the ethnic diversity and really want something in walking distance to a nice park. What's your suggestions? I need to stay somewhere on the NW side of the city.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2009, 10:08 PM

It depends exactly where you'll be. I was walking down Argyle near Kedzie in the early evening recently and there was a noticable gang presence. North of the river is different though.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
Old 09-27-2009, 11:44 PM

Hi, chimomma,

I've lived in the general area of Albany Park/Lincoln Square for six years. The area of Foster and Kedzie is one of the safest parts of it. North Park University is located right there, so lots of dangerous swedish college students. Otherwise, pretty sedate. It's when you get closer to Lawrence (I've lived at Lawrence and Kedzie and worked at North Park) that it's louder, dirtier, sketchier. I never felt unsafe, just like it was diverse and full of immigrants living with different rules. I live in an area now that has a stronger gang presence than that area, and I still feel safe with my two babies. I never see any gang activity, just a lot of tagging. I'm at Pulaski and Lawrence now.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies,

I drove through the area and it looked great and beautiful, real quiet. Never got a call bak to see my dream apartment there, though. Hopefully not because I have two kids

I have lots of friends in kedzie lawrence area so I know how that is. Also felt okay there, but once the cops insisted to take a friend of mine into there car for protection when she was waiting for her husband outside at night. They said there are too many gangs on the block and it is not safe fior her to be standing there. So for me I wouldn't feel that comfortable living there but I know a lot of people with small children who do.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyRhea View Post
Hi, chimomma,

I've lived in the general area of Albany Park/Lincoln Square for six years. The area of Foster and Kedzie is one of the safest parts of it. North Park University is located right there, so lots of dangerous swedish college students. Otherwise, pretty sedate. It's when you get closer to Lawrence (I've lived at Lawrence and Kedzie and worked at North Park) that it's louder, dirtier, sketchier. I never felt unsafe, just like it was diverse and full of immigrants living with different rules. I live in an area now that has a stronger gang presence than that area, and I still feel safe with my two babies. I never see any gang activity, just a lot of tagging. I'm at Pulaski and Lawrence now.
Are you on the west or east side of pulaski and lawrence? I live close by montrose and pulaski, and am considering an apartment just one block south and west of pulaski and lawrence. It seemed pretty nice and family oreinted neighborhood, but I know the other side if a bit different.How do you find it?
Old 10-02-2009, 11:24 PM

I'm around Irving & Kedzie, Used to live around Kimball & Bryn Mawr. The gangs are more prevalent at night, as with most areas. I feel very safe during the day with DD, I usually take her to surrounding parks.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
Old 10-11-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimomma View Post
Are you on the west or east side of pulaski and lawrence? I live close by montrose and pulaski, and am considering an apartment just one block south and west of pulaski and lawrence. It seemed pretty nice and family oreinted neighborhood, but I know the other side if a bit different.How do you find it?
I'm on the east side - at Leland and Avers. I think we're on the border, but we haven't had any problems. The people who lived in this house before us said the same.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:29 AM

I live in that immediate vicinity, on Foster between Kedzie and Kimball. I love Albany Park, especially right around there. In terms of safety, I would say that staying north of Lawrence is generally a good idea, and up near and around Foster is especially safe. I love the post about the dangerous swedish college kids; honestly, couldn't get a better group of kids to live right near.

West of Kimball is Northeastern, and there are some great little places north of there.

I know the neighborhood over by Pulaski and Argyle is nice also.

Married 08/09/08; ready to

User Tag List