illinois childcare vaccine exemption - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-01-2009, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need help, very quickly. We live in chicago,il.
My 4 year old goes to preschool in the afternoons, and we gave a religious exemption letter to the school last year. We received an email on Friday saying that DCFS says the letter we provided the school does no comply with the state laws, and we need to send a letter from the church or religious organization we are members/adhere to. We have to have this letter to the school by Friday, Nov 6. Any advice?????????
#2 of 13 Old 11-01-2009, 08:43 PM

First, ask for the letter from dcfs that is rejecting them. Are they considering this "school" a daycare or a school? If it is a daycare, the law is different. http://www.vaccineawareness.org/Illi...Exemptions.htm

hh2.gif

#3 of 13 Old 11-01-2009, 08:45 PM

If a daycare, i would go get ordained at ulc.org, name your church and present them with a copy of your certificate along with your letter.

hh2.gif

#4 of 13 Old 11-01-2009, 09:01 PM

To whom it may concern,

In accordance with 77 Illinois Administrative Code 655.510, we hereby state that as parents, based, based on our personal religious beliefs, we object to all vaccinations, including but not limited to: rotavirus (RV), diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus (DPT, DTAP), poliomyelitis (IPV), measles, rubella, mumps (MMR), varicella, haemophilus influenzae type b (HIB), and hepatitis B (HepB), hepatitis A (HepA), meningococcal (MCV), pneumococcal (PCV), and Influenza, for our child, ___________.

We believe our higher power created us perfectly it is wrong to believe we can improve upon God's perfect creation. Therefore, it would be a violation of our deeply held spiritual principles as members of _____________ to vaccinate our children.

The U.S. Supreme Court held in Frazee V. Illinois Dept. of Security, 489 U.S. 829, that a religious belief is subject to protection even though no religious group espouses such beliefs or the fact that the religious group to which the individual professes to belong may not advocate or require such belief.

hh2.gif

#5 of 13 Old 11-02-2009, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

What if I don't belong to a church?
#6 of 13 Old 11-02-2009, 03:41 PM

You make your own church.
The U.S. Supreme Court held in Frazee V. Illinois Dept. of Security, 489 U.S. 829, that a religious belief is subject to protection even though no religious group espouses such beliefs or the fact that the religious group to which the individual professes to belong may not advocate or require such belief.

hh2.gif

#7 of 13 Old 11-02-2009, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Use the words "personal specific religious objection" then outline your objection, discussiong ONLY religious reasons, no medical ones. You are completely allowed to claim personal religious beliefs.

Cite the IL law 105 ILCS 5/27-8.1 (2006)(8) Parents or legal guardians who object to health examinations or any part thereof, or to immunizations, on religious grounds shall not be required to submit their children or wards to the examinations or immunizations to which they so object if such parents or legal guardians present to the appropriate local school authority a signed statement of objection, detailing the grounds for the objection.
#8 of 13 Old 11-02-2009, 04:01 PM

that portion of the law doesn't apply if they consider the preschool a daycare.

Quote:
Section seven of the Child Care Act of 1969 {225 ILCS 10/7} provides the Illinois Department of Public Health with the statutory authority to establish immunization requirements for children attending child care facilities. This Section specifically states that children may be exempt to immunization if the "parents object thereto on the grounds that they conflict with the tenets and practices of a recognized church or religious organization, of which the parent is an adherent or member".

hh2.gif

#9 of 13 Old 11-02-2009, 04:29 PM

You do not need a letter from a religious organization in Illinois. DS is in child care and he has a letter very similar to the one mysticmomma posted on file and our licensor was fine with it. Now, (unfortunately) the licensing standards are typically enforced based on the licensor's interpretation of the standard. I would push back a little and see what happens.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#10 of 13 Old 11-03-2009, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

I can't thank you all so much for such wonderful info! I did send an email pushing back a little with some legal quotes and we shall see what happens. I have a feeling the DCFS officer that came to the school is probably on a vaccine kick because of the H1N1 virus. When things are run by fear, things can get out of hand quickly.
#11 of 13 Old 11-03-2009, 01:28 PM

This is my fear. I live in IL too and both of my school aged sons aren't vaccinated. I have to sign a religious waiver every year and so far, I haven't had any serious problems except the school staff will occasionally make negative comments. If I would ever receive a letter from dcfs I think I would flip. I don't understand why IL doesn't allow a simple philosophical objection - ugh.

autismribbon.gif

#12 of 13 Old 11-03-2009, 10:02 PM

I'll tell you why Illinois doesn't have a simple philosophical exemption, for the same reason that we don't have free-standing birthing centers and home-birth midwives: IL is the home of the AMA. It is a very powerful, very wealthy lobbying group.

Here is how my exemption letter reads: but its for a school not a daycare, so I'm not sure how the laws differ. And, by the way, I am not a member of any particular religious group.

We are writing to you concerning vaccination exemption for our daughter, XXXXXXXXX. In doing so we are exercising our rights as Illinois citizens under Illinois Administrative Code Section 665.510:

Parent or legal guardian of a student may object to health examinations, immunizations, vision and hearing screening tests, and dental health examination for their children on religious grounds. If a religious objection is made, a written and signed statement from the parent or legal guardian detailing such objections must be presented to the local school authority. The objection must set forth the specific religious belief which conflicts with the examination, immunization or other medical intervention. The religious objection may be personal and need not be directed by the tenets of an established religious organization. General philosophical or moral reluctance to allow physical examinations, immunizations, vision and hearing screening, and dental examinations will not provide a sufficient basis for an exception to statutory requirements. The local school authority is responsible for determining whether the written statement constitutes a valid religious objection. The parent or legal guardian must be informed by the local school authority of measles outbreak control exclusion procedures in accordance with the Department’s rules, Control of Communicable Diseases Code (77 Ill. Adm. Code 690) at the time such objection is presented.

Our decision comes from our belief that we are made in the image of our Creator, and therefore, we are born with a perfect immune system. This perfect immune system is a gift that our divine Creator bestows upon us. We believe that it is a violation of our sacred beliefs to interfere with the bodies we have been given.

#13 of 13 Old 04-29-2014, 12:13 PM

This issue has come up today with a daycare we are considering but i cant get a hold of DCFS for them to explain.  After reading both parts of the regulation/law, can you tell me what the difference is between daycare (privately owned) vs public school such as kindergarten?  They sound about the same. Thank you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page