MO homebirth birth certificate question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-17-2009, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had a homebirth with a lay midwife. Currently trying to get the birth certificate filled out. We don't want to put the midwife's name on it because it could get her in trouble, and she requested that we didn't. How did others of you fill the form out when you had a lay midwife? There is a place for a certifier and also an attendee. Can I be the certifier and my husband the attendee? I know I can call and ask, but I'm so leery, so thought I'd ask here as I'm sure there are many others who have had to do this!

Thanks,
Julie

Julie ~ homesteading, Traditional Catholic, wife to Chip, mom to Angelbaby(4-06), DS (3-07), and DD (11-09).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2009, 10:05 AM

Here is info I just received about birth cert's in MO for homebirth:

"In order to get a birth cert in MO, you need to call the Dept of Health and Sr Services main office at 573-751-6400, ask for Kim Rademan (she's soley responsible for the home birth birth certs, and very nice) at the office of Vital Records. She needs a letter that has basically all of the info needed to fill out a birth certificate and a check for $15 so that she can then send the form to fill out. They have to research the info to make sure it's not a fraud before they send the form. The fee is applied to the birth cert once all the info comes back as clear."

I am not sure, but I believe that you will need some additional certifier besides yourself and dh. One thing that some have done is to create an affadavit for another family or community member to sign (notarized) for you. Below is an example of such an affadavit, which has been effective for IL hb families:

Affadavit of Birth

Parents’ names:_______________________________
Address: ____________________________________

Affiant’s name:_______________________________
Address:____________________________________

I hereby affirm that I have been acquainted with the above-named family for ______________(months/years). I further affirm that I witnessed their recent pregnancy as it progressed and then met their new baby with them, soon after baby’s birth at home. To the best of my knowledge as a member of the family’s family/community, the baby they seek to register for birth certificate is their biological child.

Affiant’s signature/date:_____________________________________________ ___

Witness signature/date:_____________________________________________ ___

Maybe MO residents who have recently been through the cert process can help you more. I have not had to deal with MO birth certs--but I was investigating it recently and discovered that the rules have changed somewhat this year from what they used to be. Basically MO is making it a bit harder than they used to, for hb fams to get birth certs. This seems to be about ensuring that no one is trying to register a stolen or otherwise 'illegal' baby. Having an attendant or 'affiant' to verify the birth is one way to have an 'independent source' affirm that the child does indeed belong to the parents.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:01 AM

I would rather send a picture of me and my cheesy covered daughter in my bedroom on a fishy pool. No stolen baby there

Sue, mama to Spitfire (4/06) energy.gif, a Firecracker (9/08) blahblah.gif, and Chill baby (3/12)namaste.gif

signcirc1.gif bfinfant.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 12-21-2009, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoViMama View Post
I would rather send a picture of me and my cheesy covered daughter in my bedroom on a fishy pool. No stolen baby there
I thought about that! I didn't have luck getting in touch with anyone on Friday, so trying again on Monday, I am actually going to ask if I can just send the picture taken right after birth . I wonder if they'll go for it?

Julie

Julie ~ homesteading, Traditional Catholic, wife to Chip, mom to Angelbaby(4-06), DS (3-07), and DD (11-09).
Old 12-21-2009, 03:12 PM

I had a home birth in March 2009 in Missouri. I went to the county health department, and they gave ma a certificate of live birth form. I have an extra blank form in front of me, so that's where I'm getting my info. The form I have is MO 580-0697 Rev. 10/01. I don't know if there is a newer revision available. This is also the same form that we used back in 2007.

The instructions on the back of the form indicate that the mother should sign in the place of the certifier, and print your name and your relation (mother). You husband can be listed as the attendant, and state his relation (father). You'll need to get the certificate notarized and witnessed by people other than those listed/signed on the front.

My midwife didn't have a problem signing as the attendant, but if she had, we would simply have listed my husband as the attendant. My husband took a friend of ours (who was not at the birth) with him to get it notarized.

Once we completed the form, we took it back to the county health department, and requested a copy of the birth certificate once it was processed (about 4 weeks after we submitted it). We went back in, paid our $15 and they printed an official copy right there in the county health department office.

It was easy to do, and hasssle-free.

Another poster referenced said to call a particular person at the state office, research to avoid fraud, and possibly to have an affidavit of birth. That shouldn't be necessary, as the county health department should be able to help you out, and the form required by the state also requires witnesses and a notary.

Carrie

Carrie, wife to J, sahm to E, N, and A, followed by a bunch of crunchy labels and acronyms

Old 12-21-2009, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

They just changed it, like about 6 weeks ago here in Johnson County. They don't keep the forms anymore, had to contact the state (same office as given above). I WISH it had been just the local place, would have been done by now .

But you are correct about Mom being certifier and Dad attendant. I called the office today, talked to Kim and that is exactly what she said. My parents will be the two who sign with the notary, so thankfully it wasn't as big a deal as it could have been. Glad to have it worked out, was so afraid it wasn't going to happen or it was going to be a big, big hassle.

Julie

Old 12-22-2009, 07:17 PM

You will require a third person to sign the birth certificate form, but they don't actually have to attended the birth at all, they just have to be willing to vouch with their good name for whatever you've said. They'll need to sign it in the presence of a notary and show id, but thats all. Keep the lay midwife out of it. I bet any relative or close friend would be willing to do this for you.

Mom of three spunktastic kiddos, supported by super-partner while dabbling in midwifery and organic farming. Biting off more than I can chew since '03.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:28 PM

I've done it both in MO (one with a lay and one unassisted) and KS and Mo is so so so much easier. I didn't need a 3rd party to sign the certificate, just me and Dh. All they need is the two notary signitures on the back. Kansas is so much more difficult with more documentation and it's much harder if you wait too long like I did. the people in office of vital stats are so much nicer in MO than in KS!!!
Blessings,
Annah
Old 05-01-2010, 07:37 PM

I'm just making sure of all this -- I'm due in approx 3 weeks (up to the kiddoes to be honest!) and I want to do an unassisted home birth. I already have a family doctor in mind (from birth to death -- general practice), so do I have to rush to the emergency room or a doctor just as soon as the kid is born? Or do I just monitor things and worry if an emergency arises as usual and get them to check into the doctor on the next business day? Or what?
I'm a practitioner of alternative medicine, so I do know what I'm doing when it comes to my health -- I'm just worried about the legality.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:42 AM

If you and baby are doing fine, there is no need to rush to see a doctor. Some homebirth families (UC or mw-assisted) just don't go see a doc until there is a need--which could be years, right? Or, if the family wants the PKU/Newborn screening done, and can't do it or have it done at home, they will wait to see a doc for a few days/weeks, depending on when they feel is best to get the screening done. Some go to a doc within a couple days for purposes of getting the baby on insurance ASAP--or because they have a 'homebirth friendly' doc (for baby) onboard, who is comfortable with the situation only if the fam will call right away after birth and bring baby in within a couple days for a well-baby checkup....there are various factors that influence the timing of seeing a doc after birth, even when there is no health issue/emergency.

But there is no 'legal requirement' for baby seeing a doc in a certain amount of time following birth. You can let baby's well-being/need be your guide, along with other factors that may play a part in your situation.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtica View Post
I'm just making sure of all this -- I'm due in approx 3 weeks (up to the kiddoes to be honest!) and I want to do an unassisted home birth. I already have a family doctor in mind (from birth to death -- general practice), so do I have to rush to the emergency room or a doctor just as soon as the kid is born? Or do I just monitor things and worry if an emergency arises as usual and get them to check into the doctor on the next business day? Or what?
I'm a practitioner of alternative medicine, so I do know what I'm doing when it comes to my health -- I'm just worried about the legality.
This for some reason did not come to my email! I'm glad I checked here. I think Ms. Black covered it well, there is no legal requirement to go to the doctor. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about the birth cert. I just did this and it was super easy, we did it as a UC to protect our midwife.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post
Here is info I just received about birth cert's in MO for homebirth:

"In order to get a birth cert in MO, you need to call the Dept of Health and Sr Services main office at 573-751-6400, ask for Kim Rademan (she's soley responsible for the home birth birth certs, and very nice) at the office of Vital Records. She needs a letter that has basically all of the info needed to fill out a birth certificate and a check for $15 so that she can then send the form to fill out. They have to research the info to make sure it's not a fraud before they send the form. The fee is applied to the birth cert once all the info comes back as clear."

I am not sure, but I believe that you will need some additional certifier besides yourself and dh. One thing that some have done is to create an affadavit for another family or community member to sign (notarized) for you. Below is an example of such an affadavit, which has been effective for IL hb families:

Affadavit of Birth

Parents’ names:_______________________________
Address: ____________________________________

Affiant’s name:_______________________________
Address:____________________________________

I hereby affirm that I have been acquainted with the above-named family for ______________(months/years). I further affirm that I witnessed their recent pregnancy as it progressed and then met their new baby with them, soon after baby’s birth at home. To the best of my knowledge as a member of the family’s family/community, the baby they seek to register for birth certificate is their biological child.

Affiant’s signature/date:_____________________________________________ ___

Witness signature/date:_____________________________________________ ___

Maybe MO residents who have recently been through the cert process can help you more. I have not had to deal with MO birth certs--but I was investigating it recently and discovered that the rules have changed somewhat this year from what they used to be. Basically MO is making it a bit harder than they used to, for hb fams to get birth certs. This seems to be about ensuring that no one is trying to register a stolen or otherwise 'illegal' baby. Having an attendant or 'affiant' to verify the birth is one way to have an 'independent source' affirm that the child does indeed belong to the parents.
i wanted to thank you for posting kim's name. i just got off the phone with her and she was so very kind. i think she is who i spoke to with my first child in 2007 which was also an unassisted home birth. i'm due in 6 weeks or so again, and am glad to have all this info!
yes, the regulations have changed.
a letter requesting a live birth certificate for the birth of ___________. it does have to include father's name (if involved) and mother's name (maiden included if applicable), address of birth, date of birth, name of baby birthed. and you must include a check of $15.
each form is numbered and recorded. if you make a mistake on the form, you have to send it back to her and she marks it next to your name, and sends you another. she will document exactly how many forms you request for years. unreal.
once the letter is received, they've done their research. they will send the form, and a letter is required from two parties, grandparents, friends, anybody... it does NOT have to be anyone at the birth. it does have to be two parties BESIDES mom and dad stating the mom was pregnant, they witnessed that, and now she is not pregnant and has a baby. LOL this cracks me up. but i prefer it over a doctor's visit!!!!!!!!!!
hth!!!!
-breanna
Old 10-21-2010, 03:36 PM

Ok, I am confused. I am trying to do this right now. With DD, they gave me the form to fill out when I transferred for stitches. And they took it, processed it and mailed it. Then in a few weeks we got a the birth certificate in the mail. So I had no idea what went into this.

This time around, I again transferred for stitches but the hospital only gave us the form to request a birth certificate, not the live birth form.

I looked around online and found the CDC live birth form. Thought that was the right one. Took it to a local notary who told us we had to take it down to city hall for the notary. Went there and it was notarized without incident, but the man said to mail it in to the local vital statistics office. He didn't have the address.

Searching for the address, this thread came up through google. So....do I just go ahead and mail it in and hope for the best? Because we did not get witnesses, letters, affidavits and all the other stuff mentioned on this thread. We're not even using a MO form.

Help??!!

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Old 10-22-2010, 07:47 PM

They have changed the practice of getting a birth cert. You have to call the lady mentioned earlier in the thread and request a birth cert. Then she sends you a form you have to fill out another form with some basic info you have to send back. Then she sends you 2 birth cert forms, (in case of mistake). It has to be notarized w/ one witness, depending on how you fill it out you may need 1 or 2 witnesses not including you and your husband. You don't have to have an affadavit or anything though.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 10-23-2010, 08:52 AM

Yes, just want to affirm crunchy mama's post. Affadavit's NOT needed, just call the Birth Cert office and they'll guide you from there.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:53 PM

You do need 2 witnesses (other than the mother and father) but you don't need a separate affidavit. All the info is there, your "witnesses" only have to sign it- but be sure they don't sign it until they're in front of a notary public because it has to be notarized.
(They don't have to be witnesses to the birth, the form just says that they believe that you were pregnant and that you did birth the child in question.)

Kim can be hard to get in touch with, though that may have just been my luck (I always seemed to call when she was in a meeting or at lunch), but once I left a message, she called back pretty quickly and told me what to do.

When you send in your letter to request the form (she'll tell you what to include in the letter), you also have to send a check. When she sends you the forms, she will also send you a receipt.
Make sure you don't lose the receipt; it has to be mailed back with the forms, or they will not mail you a certificate.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
Old 10-29-2010, 12:31 AM

Thanks so much for answering!

Mama to expecting Babe 2

User Tag List