Good pediatricians in St. louis area? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 12-07-2010, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(keeping this thread up to date... as of today, 12/7, Dr. Minchow-Proffit is not accepting new patients.)

#32 of 45 Old 12-30-2010, 10:35 AM

Does anyone have any comments about Dr Hartenbach?  He is in Creve Coeur.  I have 3 boys and would like to find a male ped for them.  I really like our ped at St Johns but would like to find someone a bit closer to home. 

Lynn, wife to Jason  SAHM to Nate, Riley and Jon
#33 of 45 Old 01-26-2011, 07:14 PM

When trying to find a no-vax (or delay/selective vax) doctor, do you set up interviews or just ask over the phone their stance on vax?  Thanks.

#34 of 45 Old 01-27-2011, 06:50 PM

I just wanted to add my two cents about finding a good pediatrician. When I was pregnant with my son, my husband and I interviewed several peds.  The main issue that was important to me was vaccinations. While I was not very educated on them, I had my concerns and definitely felt like at least a couple of them were not necessary. So I wanted a ped (at the time) that would be open to skip or delay some vax.  We ran into a few peds that said under no circumstances would they see us if we skipped even on vax.  That attitude didn't sit well with me.  I am the parent, and I am not going to work with someone that doesn't understand or take the time to listen to my concerns and feels I just need to do as they say.  We then met Dr. Gene LaBarge with Docs4Kidz in South County. He was very personable and funny, and stated he felt the parent was the child's advocate and was fine with whatever we decided about vaccinations.  He even said he had some patients that didn't vax at all. I knew he was for us even though I was going to get some vax for my son.  I still had my concerns but unfortunately vaccinated my son fully until he was 9 months. Then I really began reading more and getting more into natural remedies, etc. I wanted to hold off on vax indefinitely so I could continue researching (and get my husband on board which was a different story).  The first time I told Dr. LaBarge I didn't want to vax, he was fine. He even said if I thought there was something he should know about a particular vax to tell him so he could share it with his other patients.  The second time I declined vax, he was fine still. The third time I declined vax (why was he even still asking me), he had a totally different tone. He was quite rude and said if I was not going to continue vaxing, then I needed to find a new ped. I was angry, hurt, and shocked. We interviewed peds prenatally to avoid a situation just like this!!!  He had presented himself entirely different in the interview and was even denying he ever said such things at the time. I don't know if his opinion about vaxs changed or he had to yield to his insurance companies like the other doctors in town, but this really was devastating for me.  I am searching for new ped that will let me make the decisions regarding what goes in my child's body.  End of rant.

#35 of 45 Old 02-02-2011, 07:26 PM

No one has posted here again, but I thought I would ask if you aren't vaccinating, do you still go in every 3 months for check ups?  Also, we met with Dr. Amato.  I really liked her.  She was knowledgable about breastfeeding.  Maybe she wouldn't replace an LC but much more informed and passionate than most peds.  She also seemed very flexible and fine with parents decisions regards vaccinations.

#36 of 45 Old 02-02-2011, 08:40 PM

The first year I think I took my twins in every 3 mos but after that, I stopped.  I only took them in when they were sick and I needed to know what was going on.  I am a pretty much hands off mom.  I don't take them in for every sniffle or cough or even fever.  When I took Jon in 1 1/2 weeks ago b/c I thought he hurt his arm (he indeed had a buckle fracture) the receptionist chided me for not bringing them in for the well baby visits.  Don't need to when I know they are healthy. 

We will start up the vaxes again in a few weeks. I am going to get them one at a time.  We quit a year ago b/c the kids reacted to the vaxes so bad I just couldn't do it anymore since they were so little.  Which reminds me, I need to find out which ones we need to get.  Off to do some research!

Lynn, wife to Jason  SAHM to Nate, Riley and Jon
#37 of 45 Old 02-03-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

I am glad you liked Dr. Amato. May be I need to interact with other peds to realize how BF is NOT encouraged by everyone. That being said,I am a die hard BF mother. I went to extreme length to be able to BF because if running to several challenges(another sotry), but since no one could help us in the end, I think I was wrong to undermine her BF stance. What else could she have done anyways. She tried to be supportive of me by telling how should could BF all her babies and for one she had to EP.

We are selective vax, and she has always been fine. Just tells us about the consequences. Our son will be joining day care soon, so we are uptodate on most vax. That being said, I do think few of her patients don't vax at all.

I am sorry to know about the terrible experience you had. How pathetic! Maybe his situation with insurance companies changed.

Good luck finding a good ped,

Amy.

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#38 of 45 Old 02-03-2011, 03:48 PM

@starbuckmom  Thanks for the info.  I will go in for checkups but don't feel like I need to go in every 3 months if I feel everything is fine with DS.  I too don't take him in for everything little thing, and sometimes I find he would get sick if we had to take him in during cold & flu season.

@Amy@STL Thanks.  The situation with our ped was unfortunate but you live and you learn, and I feel Dr. Amato will be better fit.  As soon as I walked in, she started going & on and on about breastfeeding, which I thought was just awesome!  I'm sorry you had challenges breastfeeding.  There is such little support for breastfeeding mothers in my opinion.  We had troubles too (7 weeks of it)!  Unfortunately, it was due to bad advice from doctors and LCs, but due to persistence and Kangaroo Kids we overcame and made it 17 months before he self-weaned.  I don't know your specific issue, but is it latch-related or something more?  (You don't hare to share if you don't want to or PM me if you'd like)

#39 of 45 Old 06-20-2011, 07:02 PM

I just wanted to update... We've been going to Dr. Amato for a little over 6 months and love her. She definitely gives the standard warnings about vax, but doesn't push or act like we are bad parents when we decline. My ds has gone for well visits at 15 and 18mos and had 2 sick visits. Each time she has been great. We're really pleased with her. My dh and I go to Dr. Wessling, but I like having someone who specializes in kids while the kids are still really little.

#40 of 45 Old 08-08-2011, 01:22 PM

I was surprised to log on here and see so many people who go to "our" doctor :)  Before my now 2 year old son was born, we interviewed several doctors and felt the most positive about Dr. Amato.  She seems very competent, but also is never pushy (like some over-opinionated doctors we came across). We are pro-vax, but anti-circ and pro-bf. She's never had an issue with our decision not circumcise to our son. He was slightly premature and had trouble breastfeeding in the beginning, but she helped us through the process and also helped reassure me. My son also ended up with a ton of food allergy reactions through breast milk which led to a restricted diet for me. She never once pressured me to wean him. My son ended up breastfeeding for 23 months, so I'd consider us a success. My only issue with Dr. Amato is the wait time when you're at the office. I would strongly recommend taking the earliest appointment available.

Mom to one happy Senorcito (06/09) ... allergic to wheat, nuts, dairy, eggs, sesame, peas and soy.

#41 of 45 Old 11-22-2011, 07:12 AM

If you have had a homebirth, i would stay away from Dr. Amato. She was very rude to us. I don't think she knows anything about home birth and was not supportive of our choice.

Birth Doula and SAHM to DHpartners.gif 9/02,    cat.gif8/04, DDdust.gif3/08   goorganic.jpg  winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gif hoping forhomebirth.jpg 10/11

#42 of 45 Old 07-09-2013, 08:46 AM

Does anybody know whether the healthcare providers at Webster Family Physicians apply the Waldorf child development beliefs to their practice? Thanks.

#43 of 45 Old 07-18-2013, 11:00 AM

Thanks for posting this!! I was getting ready to post the same thing. I just moved to the area (Ballwin) from ohio. So my kids plus our new little one need a good doctor. Selective vax, isn't rude about our home birth, and who is pro breastfeeding.
#44 of 45 Old 09-24-2013, 01:47 PM

any of you St.Louis ladies know anything about Dr. Patrice Mathews?  

#45 of 45 Old 09-25-2013, 12:15 PM

so, i just took my 5 month old dd to see Dr. Patrice Mathews. I was referred to her from a friend.  It was just the first visit, but, from that she was wonderful. she didn't push vaccines at all. She told me what she thought was necessary, but obviously, was up to me. Not rude, very kind.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page