Good pediatricians in St. louis area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 01-13-2010, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,

I am looking for recommendations for pediatrician near Chesterfield,Manchester,south county area. I want a doc who is not aggressive about prescribing medicines, has a 'natural' approach, respects and listens to parents and if possible good with working with parents from other cultures(and hence different parenting views,traditions etc.)

Please feel free to PM me.

Thanks!!

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#2 of 46 Old 01-14-2010, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

I have 4 names....anyone have experience with them?

1. Joseph Goldenberg
2. Edward Fliesher
3. Pamela Kane
4. Richard Lazaroff

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#3 of 46 Old 01-14-2010, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I have only been to one doctor since we came to St. Louis, and I would not recommend her. BUT, I have heard great things about Dr. Wessling and the whole group at Webster Family Physicians (Webster Groves), and Dr. Melissa Hollie, who I believe is in South County.

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#4 of 46 Old 01-14-2010, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like finding a good ped in STL is hard
I found some old threads here and have found Dr. Hollie, Dr. Salter, Dr. Lazaroff mentioned. I am going to try setting up appt. with these guys.

#5 of 46 Old 01-15-2010, 12:01 AM

I went through a couple peds that I could not stand before finding Dr. Hollie. We have only been there once so far but I really liked her and her staff was wonderful.

Jenn- Geeky momma to one fabulous Tiny Diva (10/27/08)
#6 of 46 Old 01-15-2010, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

I think I would love Dr. Hollie too...she sounds best option.I am trying to get hold of Dr. Hollie. Thanks!

#7 of 46 Old 01-15-2010, 06:29 PM

We use Kids Docs and see Rebecca Bullivant, but Pamela Kane is also in that practice. I only saw her once - in the hospital right after my daughter was born. She wisked her to the specialtry treatment area (the level below the NICU) without my consent. I was not happy about that!

I like Bullivant. She's ok with our selective/delayed vax schedule. Good to go with extended nursing. Fine with using natural methods before jumping to more mainstream methods. I won't go as far as to say I "love" her, but she's good and she's close.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#8 of 46 Old 01-16-2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherb917 View Post
Hi! I have only been to one doctor since we came to St. Louis, and I would not recommend her. BUT, I have heard great things about Dr. Wessling and the whole group at Webster Family Physicians (Webster Groves), and Dr. Melissa Hollie, who I believe is in South County.
Dr. Hollie is now in the Central West End.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#9 of 46 Old 01-16-2010, 10:14 PM

We use Brentwood Pediatrics - Dr. Jean **********. I think she listens well and is very attentive to parent intuition. The office is near Brentwood Blvd and 64/40.
#10 of 46 Old 01-17-2010, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
Dr. Hollie is now in the Central West End.
She is here now,right? http://www.cwemedical.com/doc/index-2.html

#11 of 46 Old 01-18-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy@STL View Post
Yes!

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#12 of 46 Old 01-18-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

#13 of 46 Old 01-18-2010, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post
We use Kids Docs and see Rebecca Bullivant, but Pamela Kane is also in that practice. I only saw her once - in the hospital right after my daughter was born. She wisked her to the specialtry treatment area (the level below the NICU) without my consent. I was not happy about that!

I like Bullivant. She's ok with our selective/delayed vax schedule. Good to go with extended nursing. Fine with using natural methods before jumping to more mainstream methods. I won't go as far as to say I "love" her, but she's good and she's close.
Thanks! I have a Q - when we select a doc as our pediatrician and he/she works in a group, do we not have a choice? Sorry..I am new to this...hoping to understand how the ped system works.So, say I choose Kids Docs as my ped office, will it be upto them who will come for birth at hospital?

One more thing - does the ped has to be present during birth? Is it mandatory?

#14 of 46 Old 01-18-2010, 03:31 PM

I'm not positive if every practice operates the same, but first, no the ped is not present at the birth. They come sometime during your stay at the hospital depending on what time you give birth. If your practice has many physicians, there is usually one ped from that practice who makes rounds at that hospital on any given day. So, if you give birth on a monday, then Dr. A will see you. If you give birth on a tuesday, Dr. B will see you. If your ped office doesn't have privelges at the hospital you birth at then there will be a "house ped" that the hospital provides to do the initial checks.

After my first son was born, we found a great dr who wasn't really pro choice on vaxes, but he did respect the parents wishes. He gave us his speech about how he thought it was best, but didn't pressure us and he cared for us very well. When my second son was born, another dr from that practice showed up at the hospital and gave me a hard time about the vaxes. With the hormones raging, I was really upset and thankful that this was my second baby and I wasn't going to be shaken.

I tell you this not to alarm you, but to prepare you. If you have a good relationship or a strong preference for one doctor for whatever reason, just be prepared to take with a grain of salt whatever might come your way from other doctors. Just know that you will never have to see that doc again if they do rub you the wrong way! If you do have strong preferences about vaxes/circ whatever, be sure that your dh or other family who is with you at the hospital is clear on your wishes so they can back you up. (I'm not even sure if these are your concerns...but just incase, I thought I'd share my experience.)

#15 of 46 Old 01-18-2010, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you !!! You answered exactly what I wanted to know. Since there are so few choices in St. Louis for non-vaxers, I am now trying to find atleast someone who is pro - cosleeping/extentrd bf/alternative med etc.

#16 of 46 Old 01-18-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Thank you !!! You answered exactly what I wanted to know. Since there are so few choices in St. Louis for non-vaxers, I am now trying to find atleast someone who is pro - cosleeping/extentrd bf/alternative med etc.
Glad to help...I was afraid I might have scared you!

BTW....I haven't met any regular MDs who like the idea of co-sleeping (not that there aren't any)...but I have never found the need to mention it. Just one less thing to worry about

#17 of 46 Old 01-18-2010, 07:49 PM

Amy - Kids Docs works like Heather said. You get the physician on rounds to check the newborns in the hospital. So that was my only experience with Dr. Kane. For any scheduled visits you mention which doc you'd like to see and get an appointment with that person (unless there's an emergency or something - which only came up once for us at a well baby visit). For sick baby visits I believe they work on getting you in that day with your first choice, but if their schedule is already full they'll fit you in with another - we've never had a sick visit, though.

And, like Heather, there's no reason to mention a lot of stuff at visits. They really don't give a rip where the kid sleeps - as long as said kid is sleeping. Or how long you nurse - as long as said kid is eating. It's easier to only mention what you need in the context of the appointment, yk?

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#18 of 46 Old 01-18-2010, 07:51 PM

I have an appointment with Webster Family Physicans tomorrow. I hear good things about them as well as Dr Hollie.

In general, I would recommend a family practitioner over a pediatrician. I think you'll find providers more open to natural care. Plus the whole family can have the same provider which I think it convenient and nice. Wouldn't it be nice for your doctor to know about the health of all family members?

Good luck in your search!
#19 of 46 Old 01-18-2010, 07:59 PM

What Angela said. You get which ever Doc is making the rounds at the hospital. That has been my experience with all three kids in three different states.

You can have which ever Doc you want in the practice. It's just when it comes to the birth, you generally don't have a choice.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#20 of 46 Old 01-19-2010, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies...lot of enlightenment for me

#21 of 46 Old 01-19-2010, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieDH View Post
I have an appointment with Webster Family Physicans tomorrow. I hear good things about them as well as Dr Hollie.

In general, I would recommend a family practitioner over a pediatrician. I think you'll find providers more open to natural care. Plus the whole family can have the same provider which I think it convenient and nice. Wouldn't it be nice for your doctor to know about the health of all family members?

Good luck in your search!
I agree with you. But I was under the impression that unless a doc is a certified ped (opposed to general MD/family doc), they can't do the new born check and other well-baby stuff later. I think I have wrong information.

#22 of 46 Old 01-19-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I agree with you. But I was under the impression that unless a doc is a certified ped (opposed to general MD/family doc), they can't do the new born check and other well-baby stuff later. I think I have wrong information.
Dr. Wessling saw all my mom's babies (that were born in the area) after their UCs.

He saw DD 3 days after she was born. Did all the checks and started a little growth chart for her.

We aren't big on the idea of WBVs but I wanted to have the records.

I highly recommend him. He can seem short/curt but I think it's more of a language thing. After being my FP my whole life, I've come to find him humorous and pretty cool...like Sherlock Holmes.

He seems to have the majority of the HB, MW, hippie demographic in his practice. It's become almost hilarious to bring up his name at a LLL meeting or HB meeting...everyone says "oh yeah that's my doctor!"

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#23 of 46 Old 01-19-2010, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
After being my FP my whole life, I've come to find him humorous and pretty cool...like Sherlock Holmes.

This reminds me that when I first saw my ob-gyn, all I could think of is Santa claus

#24 of 46 Old 01-19-2010, 05:10 PM

Amy,

I'm in the same boat as you. We're having a baby in April and looking for a good pediatrician who will be supportive of our decision to wait on vaccinations. Thanks so much for asking about this, and thank you to everyone who responded! This gives me a great list to go off of. Amy, let me know who you end up going with.

Anne
#25 of 46 Old 01-20-2010, 12:54 AM

wessling as far as I know does not come to the hospital for newborn checks....I just used whoever was on staff at the hospital.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#26 of 46 Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by springtime View Post
Amy,

I'm in the same boat as you. We're having a baby in April and looking for a good pediatrician who will be supportive of our decision to wait on vaccinations. Thanks so much for asking about this, and thank you to everyone who responded! This gives me a great list to go off of. Amy, let me know who you end up going with.

Anne
Congrats!! I have couple of meet and greet appointments lined up. Once I find the one, I will definitely update.
Let me also know if you find any new names!

#27 of 46 Old 01-31-2010, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update - We have decided to go with Dr. Amato on Watson road. We liked her from her our meet-n-greet. I have to make sure the my insurance works for her, but otherwise we liked her a lot.

#28 of 46 Old 11-10-2010, 10:37 AM

Amy- How do you like Dr. Amato? I've just moved to the area, and I'm considering her. How did she react to your vaccination plan? Thanks!

#29 of 46 Old 11-13-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicacw81 View Post

Amy- How do you like Dr. Amato? I've just moved to the area, and I'm considering her. How did she react to your vaccination plan? Thanks!

We go to Dr. Amato and really like her.  My ds was fully vaxed til 12 month and then we haven't had any since and he's just turning 4.  I never did sit down and plan out a vax plan with her, I just declined the ones she offered.  She was okay with my decision but still told me about the possible consequences of my decision, but not in a preachy way.

#30 of 46 Old 11-15-2010, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

She is ok. I chose her because I believed she would be very pro-BF. She has done her thesis on BF and says Bfed her 5 kids out of 10. However, I didn't ginf her that helpful. But I may be biased, because my BF problems seem to not the norm. I am still breastfeeding but at 7 mo, my DS still can't nurse without causing me pain. Anyways, she was not of much help beyond the initial recommendation of going to a LC. So, I think she is good but not great to promote BF.

About vax, she si fine with what we refuse and as PP said, just informs us of the concerns. She is otherwise laidback and pleasant.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page