New here - need info on water births, doulas, midwives, and Christian OB-GYNs in St. Louis/Metro IL - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-24-2010, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies,

Thanks so much for reading my post. I am new to the forum and have lots of questions. I am currently trying to conceive and am looking for a Christian ob-gyn, mid wife or doula or at least those who respect life and my personal convictions of faith.

I would love to have a homebirth, but since I live in Illinois (close to St. Louis), I don't believe that would be an option unless I use an undergound midwife. I did talk to one who was no longer taking patients as she was going back to school to become certified. She suggested the ones in Belleville and Greenville who work through the hospitals. I believe from what I have heard that these ladies are great, but I do not care for the doctors that they work with. I do need some connection to an OB-GYN as I had an ectopic two years ago.

I would really also like to do a water birth, so at this point I think my best option might be MoBap since they have that option and to find an OB-GYN and a doula who share my values.

Any suggestions, thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 03-28-2010, 10:58 AM

My family is moving to Scott AFB in June, and we're expecting #4 in Nov. We had a beautiful homebirth here in VA in 2007 and want another homebirth for this baby. Could you PM the name & contact info of the midwife you talked with who is no longer taking clients? I'd like to get other names from her as my own search is coming up short right now. Thanks!
#3 of 9 Old 03-28-2010, 03:08 PM

Dr. Dixon and Dr. Gosser at St. Gerard Obstetrics in south St. Louis county are both pro-life and natural family planning only. Welcome and good luck to you!
#4 of 9 Old 03-29-2010, 11:07 AM

I know in central Illinois there are CNMs who do homebirths. But I don't know if there are any down here (we moved here last Fall, but I'm done with pregnancy/birth so haven't gotten up to speed on the midwife scene here.)
#5 of 9 Old 03-29-2010, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I dont really have any info, just wanted to say "hi!" because I'm in the area!

Michelle SAHM to K (3/2004)  H (8/2006) P (7/2011) & we're missing Finley Jonas born still, July 27, 2010 

#6 of 9 Old 03-30-2010, 01:19 PM

Mo-Bap has the AquaDoula tubs for labor, but they don't allow you to birth in them.

You could try contacting Friends of Missouri Midwives-I'm not sure if there is a similar organization in Illinois or not.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#7 of 9 Old 01-26-2011, 10:59 AM

Hi there!!! Welcome to the area!

I am a doula here in the St. Louis area and would love to talk to you further to help you answer your questions. 

www.yourjoyfulbirth.com

dralicia@yourjoyfulbirth.com 

#8 of 9 Old 02-16-2011, 06:38 AM

Purple Lotus Doulas are a group of doulas in St. Louis, and I know Traci specifically enjoys working with Christians.

http://www.doulamatch.net/profile/2505/traci-k

purplelotusdoulas.yolasite.com

http://www.facebook.com/PurpleLotusDoulas.

Birth Doula and SAHM to DHpartners.gif 9/02,    cat.gif8/04, DDdust.gif3/08   goorganic.jpg  winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gif hoping forhomebirth.jpg 10/11

#9 of 9 Old 02-18-2011, 08:33 PM

This is an old post so by now OP has given birth, but to clarify, there is no hospital in St. Louis doing water births right now.

Dr. Turner at BJC offered them in the past but in the last year has stopped the practice. Barnes has two labor rooms with Jacuzzi tubs in which you can labor but not give birth. Mo Bap also has a tub, I am not sure of the availability but it is for laboring only and not birthing. I have also heard that St. Luke's hospital in Chesterfield may have tubs for laboring, but I have no personal experience there and would appreciate any information that any others might have! The rest of the hospitals in St. Louis (St. John's, St. Mary's, and St. Clare) with Labor and Delivery units do not offer tubs for labor or for delivery.

I am part of the Purple Lotus Doula collective and can say that we definitely work with families of all faith backgrounds and respect and honor a mother's wish to have a faith based labor and birth. Traci is an excellent recommendation, thanks to the PP who offered our contact information.

familybed1.gifslingboy.gifcd.gifwinner.jpgintactlact.gifdoula and mom to a 9/2/9 boy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page