Need help finding a midwife west of Chicago - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-28-2010, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so disappointed. For my first pregnancy, I went to Midwest Midwifery (offices in Addison and Elgin), which has since been bought out. Three of the midwives went to another practice now called Midwest OB/Gyn & Midwifery. Well, I thought I would give that a shot and go for my first visit last week at 9 weeks. From this one visit, I will say that Midwest OB/Gyn & Midwifery is a far cry from what Midwest Midwifery once was in both philosophy and practice. I'm not even sure I would consider the woman I met with a midwife. I'm really not even comfortable going back there. But, I'm kind of stuck not knowing where else to go. I've heard great things about West Suburban Midwifery, but they deliver 40 miles from my home! Not sure I feel too great about traveling 40 miles in a traffic-heavy area while I'm in labor. I'm also not really comfortable with a home birth. Anyone anywhere have suggestions for midwives and supporting hospitals in the far west (Elgin area) of Chicago? Has anyone worked with midwives and had a natural birth out of Aurora (either Mercy/Provena or Rush-Copley) or with Sherman in Elgin?
Thanks so much for any advice. I'm not sure where to schedule my next appointment. I had a very positive natural birth in a hospital setting my first time around. I am hoping for a similar experience the second time around, but I just don't know if it's possible with my current options.
#2 of 16 Old 02-28-2010, 01:58 PM

See my post in the thread that got moved.

Ali - Wife to Steve and mom to Zoe - age 7, and Ezra - 17 months (9/2009)
#3 of 16 Old 03-02-2010, 02:32 AM

I wrote a summary post of my experience with West Sub that I'm sure is floating around here somewhere still. Long story = I'm over 1-1/2 hrs from them and it was well worth the drive. Labor at a hotel nearby.

Dr-Mom and SAHD extraordinnaire. DD1 (5), DD2 (3), MMC 04/10.
#4 of 16 Old 03-10-2010, 04:52 PM

Debbie Riddel, at WOman First in Aurora. Delivers at Mercy is very good. I used her a few times before we switched to homebirth. GL

SAHM, veggie family, EBF, HB in the H2O, to four great children, expecting number 5... married to a great guy, who likes to grow our veggies
#5 of 16 Old 03-27-2010, 01:59 AM

Marla Ellis, midwife, Focus on Women practice, delivers at Delnor.

i had a great natural birth with her in the hospital!

#6 of 16 Old 03-29-2010, 11:49 PM

*sigh*

Wasn't the old Midwest Midwifery great?? They were bought out when I was 32 weeks along. I was soooooo upset.

I have no referrals for you in your neck of the woods. I wish you luck.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#7 of 16 Old 03-31-2010, 03:38 PM

I had my first-a water birth at the ABC at W. Sub (Hilary delivered). I also live about 40 min. away and for me that was not good. I had a very fast labor and barely made it to the hospital (baby was out 45 min. after we arrived at the hospital, and it would have been sooner if I hadn't been trying to keep her in during morning shift change and the politics to get into a room). Unfortunately for me, I hemorrhaged at delivery and again 2 days later, requiring multiple blood transfusions and ultimately surgery under general....my experience at W. Sub was nothing short of awful and my loved ones made me swear up and down that I would never set foot in that hospital again. The midwives were fine and the ABC is really nice, but unless you are 100% sure that you will be free of complications, I would not recommend birthing there. The nurses ranged from horrible to quite good (with mediocre being the norm) and the chain of communication was severely flawed...I wasn't even seen by a doctor until after my second hemorrhage even though I'd already had a transfusion prior to that time. I would have bled to death had it not been for the swift and unrelenting advocacy from my family members, and I won't even go into the lack of support that I received to help baby and I with things like BFing when I was needing to be drugged and brought in for surgery.

I had #2 and #3 at Rush Copley. I worked with the MWs at Rush Copley Ob-Gyn and planned on a water birth for #2 however, she was a stubborn transverse breech who wouldn't turn for anything and when my water broke, I needed an emergency C-S. Karen was there with me during the surgery for support. With #3 I saw Karen for my initial prenatal care, but I knew I'd be needing another C-S because I needed a classical incision to safely turn/deliver #2. Due to pregnancy complications this time around, my care was transferred to the OBs around week 20. I just delivered last week and I will say that while a C-S would never be the way that I would want to birth if I could choose, the doctors, nurses, and staff were really great about working with me to make the delivery as family-centered as possible....The anesthesiologist allowed me to keep my arms free, the neonatologist agreed to present baby to me immediately after birth prior to cleaning/assessing, and a nurse agreed to stay in with the baby so as soon as the assessment was finished, Baby was brought to me and held up so that he could nuzzle and nurse while I was being stitched up and then DH, Baby, and I all went to recovery together.

The nurses at Rush Copley ranged from really good to excellent, with excellent being the norm, and the staff was always very attentive, friendly, and helpful. When I had concerns about the amount of post-partum bleeding I was experiencing, it was addressed quickly and completely. Karen also cam by to visit me and cuddle Baby.

Right now Karen is the only MW in the practice. Noreen resigned about a week ago due to family health reasons. They are currently in the process of hiring a new MW for the practice.

While I can't comment on the water birth experience at RC since my wonky pregnancies kept me from getting to that point, I can say that as a hospital RC is leaps and bounds better than W. Sub in my experience. While I am glad that I got to have a water birth experience with #1, the care that I received at the hospital was awful and I shudder to think what would have happened if DD had been the one with complications rather than me.

Anyway, that's my tome. Good luck to you.

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
#8 of 16 Old 04-19-2010, 06:29 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that Noreen left Rush! She was fantastic!
I delivered there with the midwives about 3 years ago, and I couldn't say enough good about my experience. Karen is really great too, and the nurse at my delivery was with me the whole time, and she was awesome.
I highly recommend that practice.
#9 of 16 Old 04-20-2010, 04:51 PM

Wondering if you have been to BirthLink.com? It is true that midwives can come in all colors to to speak. You must interview to assess if they are a good match for you. They are also hard to find in many cases. I think that West Suburban is the best. Many parents drive from far to get there. I suggest you set up an interview and visit the ABC. They are very different from any other facility in the area. If you need more information let me know. There is one who says she will support natural. Here is her web site. www.womenfirst.org
My network is getting too big for me to know everyone. There are so many variables when choosing a primary care practitioner.

If you still need help let me know. Jo Anne Lindberg, President & Founder
#10 of 16 Old 04-20-2010, 05:14 PM

The Coalition for IL Midwives is working really hard to pass a bill in Springfield that would get home birth midwives licensed. We need your help! If you are willing to contact your legislator just go to ilga.gov and find your house rep. you can also follow the progress of the bill there. It is HB 226 The Homebirth Safety Act. Even if you would never have a home birth yourself this is an important choice that does have an effect on how birth is handled by midwives in the hospital setting. If you want more information and are willing to help us pass this bill after 30 years feel free to email me. I will help you in any way I can. We also need parents who are willing to go to Springfield.
Jo Anne Lindberg
bestbirth@birthlink.com
#11 of 16 Old 04-26-2010, 05:53 PM

I had my son in a water birth at Rush Copley with Karen Barr there. She was awesome and I liked Rush.

However, since Noreen left the practice Karen is extremely booked up right now - like 5 weeks out. I didn't go with her this time as I was afraid if she was that booked up for appts that she may be booked up for births as well and I'd end up with someone I didn't know.

I'm currently looking into midwives for either Alexian Brothers or Provena Mercy right now.

Marla Ellis is not doing hospital births right now - she delivered out of Delnor though. I seriously just called a ton of midwife offices today to try to find someone.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#12 of 16 Old 04-26-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarahelen View Post
Debbie Riddel, at WOman First in Aurora. Delivers at Mercy is very good. I used her a few times before we switched to homebirth. GL
How did you like Mercy? I'm trying to decide between that and Alexian Brothers. For some reason, whenever I drive by Mercy I get creeped out by the way it looks. Do they do water births there?

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#13 of 16 Old 05-06-2010, 05:19 PM

There are so many important things to consider when choosing a place and provider for your birth. The importance of the birth experience can not be understated. I work with couples who want to have an optimal birth experience. They want to make informed decisions and find what will work for them. I have been doing birth advocacy work for 13 years. If you want to learn about all your options please call me. I will be happy to help.

I also work with moms to help them process previous birth trauma as a certified shiatsu Asian bodywork therapist.
--
Peace on earth begins with birth and body work.

Jo Anne Lindberg MEd ABT
President & Founder
BirthLink.com
Five Element Shiatsu
1555 Sherman Avenue #175 (mailing address only)
Evanston, IL 60201
847-733-8050

www.birthlink.com
#14 of 16 Old 05-11-2010, 03:25 PM

Deb Riddell at womenfirst is WONDERFUL! Provena Mercy is a small hospital, but has very nice, private rooms. Not at all creepy! Deb would have allowed me to deliver in the tub, but I chose to get out to push and ended up having my baby in the bathroom standing up! I have used Deb for two births and both were awesome. I recommend her to anyone looking for a midwife!
#15 of 16 Old 05-12-2010, 01:16 PM

^^I'm happy you posted that! I'm meeting with Deb next week. Makes me feel much better!

#16 of 16 Old 05-12-2010, 01:37 PM

Jill Enders (was she the 4th midwife? or is she with the other 3?) is practicing with Dr. Mroz at Alexian now. Mroz is pretty good in terms of supporting women as well.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page