Chicago public school lottery support thread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 03-07-2010, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone waiting to hear about lottery results from CPS?
I know results aren't due to be sent out until the week of March 15th. But I hate the waiting period...

Where are you waiting to hear from? Do you have a back up plan?
#2 of 34 Old 03-08-2010, 02:17 AM

I am not convinced that we'll actually hear anything in March. Now that they've changed the admissions criteria I am fully expecting it all to be delayed. We'll see. I am really trying to be zen about this whole process because really what else can I do?

Our neighborhood school is Peirce -- that's our backup plan. I also applied to a few other Magnets, and did the GEAP testing. I am trying to take this one year at a time.

Oh -- the other schools I applied to:
Stone
Hawthorne (super long shot)
Franklin

GEAP:
Coonley
Edison
Prtizker
#3 of 34 Old 03-08-2010, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I am expecting a delay too.
Our neighborhood school is not a great option. (That is what makes me nervous!)
DD is in preschool at Jahn, so that is the back up. Although I'd be happy to stay there either way.

We also applied to:
Drummond
Inter-American
Ravenswood
and Goethe (which is a neighborhood school close by, not a magnet)
#4 of 34 Old 03-09-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosesarered View Post
Yeah, I am expecting a delay too.
Our neighborhood school is not a great option. (That is what makes me nervous!)
DD is in preschool at Jahn, so that is the back up. Although I'd be happy to stay there either way.

We also applied to:
Drummond
Inter-American
Ravenswood
and Goethe (which is a neighborhood school close by, not a magnet)
There are three Kindergarten classrooms at Ravenswood, so your chances are pretty high that you'll get in there. My DD attends the TBPK there.
#5 of 34 Old 03-09-2010, 09:12 PM

A couple of kids at my daughter's preschool went on to Ravenswood and they really like it. There's one child in my daughter's class with an older brother at Inter-American. Now I kind of wish I had applied to Inter-American. A completely bilingual environment would be terrific. But I don't want to drive to Wrigleyville every day.
#6 of 34 Old 03-09-2010, 09:13 PM

Oh and I also visited and applied to Hamilton -- mostly because my younger child is Hearing Impaired and they have a D/HH program there. But now I hear it's closing, is that true?
#7 of 34 Old 03-11-2010, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

I am happy to hear good things about Ravenswood. And that there seems to be space. Are there 3 kindergarten classes because they are expanding or just to keep class size small?

Thistles in Snow- I haven't heard anything about Hamilton closing. It wasn't on the "list" brought to the school board in Feb. But I don't have an insider ear or anything. I hope it isn't closing, seems like a unique school.
#8 of 34 Old 03-11-2010, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Okay... since I'm relocating, can someone explain this to me? Is it like, you're guaranteed a spot in your "home"/neighborhood school but can apply for open spots in other schools if you don't like your home school?

I ask because if that's the case, I want to take a much closer look at where we buy if we wind up in Chicago proper (which is a decent possibility).

TIA

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#9 of 34 Old 03-11-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistles_in_Snow View Post
Oh and I also visited and applied to Hamilton -- mostly because my younger child is Hearing Impaired and they have a D/HH program there. But now I hear it's closing, is that true?
Hamilton was on the closing list 2 years ago but the parents fought to keep it open and since then they got a new principal. They have good test scores but they need to raise the enrollment numbers. The upper grades are a little rough but the younger grades are fabulous. And the perk is the low number of kids per class.
#10 of 34 Old 03-11-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I am happy to hear good things about Ravenswood. And that there seems to be space. Are there 3 kindergarten classes because they are expanding or just to keep class size small?

Thistles in Snow- I haven't heard anything about Hamilton closing. It wasn't on the "list" brought to the school board in Feb. But I don't have an insider ear or anything. I hope it isn't closing, seems like a unique school.
No clue why there are so many Kindergarten classes at Ravenswood but seeing as this year they opened a second TBPK classroom that might have something to do with it. The TBPK kids are guaranteed a spot in Kindergarten and from what I can tell 7 from my dd's room will be in the Kindergarten this fall.

In general though, there seems to be a lot of interest in the school by local families and that might also have an affect on lower grade classrooms.
#11 of 34 Old 03-11-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdeg View Post
Okay... since I'm relocating, can someone explain this to me? Is it like, you're guaranteed a spot in your "home"/neighborhood school but can apply for open spots in other schools if you don't like your home school?

I ask because if that's the case, I want to take a much closer look at where we buy if we wind up in Chicago proper (which is a decent possibility).

TIA
Something like that, I wouldn't do a lot of research into this school mess unless you're seriously looking at living in Chicago.
#12 of 34 Old 03-12-2010, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2naomi View Post
Something like that, I wouldn't do a lot of research into this school mess unless you're seriously looking at living in Chicago.
And even then, your research might sway you to not move to Chicago!
#13 of 34 Old 03-12-2010, 11:10 PM

Lovely. My husband's company has offices in Mettawa and Downtown so we WERE going to look at Chicago city.

*sigh*

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

#14 of 34 Old 03-13-2010, 02:51 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
heatherdeg - definitely choose carefully if you come to Chicago. There ARE decent areas. And areas change - are you looking at school for now or 5 years from now? I no longer have the site bookmarked since we bought/moved 1.5 years ago, but somewhere (I think on the chicago public schools site) is a map showing district boundries. We landed in Jefferson Park.

Having a 'good' school is only half the battle, the other half is being an involved parent. My DSD goes to a "great" school (far suburbs of Chicago) and I honestly don't think it's any better then she could do if she lived with us and had our very active involvement. I think most of us on MDC have a head start on that one

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#15 of 34 Old 03-13-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

heatherdeg- Sorry to be so discouraging, mostly my comment was an exaggeration. There are good schools within the cps system. It is so much easier if you live within the attendance boundry of a one of those schools. Some of the good schools are magnet schools, so they don't have an attendence boundry but accept students based on a computerized lottery. This is the part I find so nerve wrecking.
The cps website might be a good place to start...then there is Northside Parents Network that has a discussion board. It is a good place to get opinions from people actually at the schools.
(Also Oak Park and Evanston are two close-by suburbs with easy access to the city and good-not-confusing school systems.)
#16 of 34 Old 03-13-2010, 12:28 PM

I teach at a magnet school. The lottery pull was supposed to happen last week and didn't due to budget issues. Expect your letters to be very delayed. Also, due to the changes in criteria, lots of brilliant 8th graders at the good schools did not get into selective enrollment high schools. They changed it up so the good students at the struggling schools had priority.

Thistles in Snow, Pierce is a really nice school. Based on my observations as a sub for many years for CPS, I'd choose that school over Pritzker and probably Coonley too.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#17 of 34 Old 03-13-2010, 02:38 PM

Mimim: I KNEW there was going to be a delay!! I am really trying to be Zen about this whole thing. We will find the best school for us. Thanks for the info about Peirce. That's definitely the way we're leaning. Do you know anything about Stone? Peirce and Stone are our top 2 choices right now.
#18 of 34 Old 03-13-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistles_in_Snow View Post
Mimim: I KNEW there was going to be a delay!! I am really trying to be Zen about this whole thing. We will find the best school for us. Thanks for the info about Peirce. That's definitely the way we're leaning. Do you know anything about Stone? Peirce and Stone are our top 2 choices right now.
I don't have any experience with Stone, but it has a great reputation.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#19 of 34 Old 03-15-2010, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Mimim, thank you for the information on the delay.

Thistles in Snow, I live in Rogers Park and know a few families who have been *very* happy at Stone. Would be thrilled if my DS was accepted there.

We applied to Stone as well as Interamerican, Hawthorne, Burley and, of course, we gave the GEAP process a try. There were a couple other magnet schools that I can't remember off the top of my head. Honestly, I've tried to remain somewhat detached from the process all along. In fact, we'd hoped to move out of Rogers Park by next year, but it's looking unlikely that that will happen now.

As of tonight, I've begun researching homeschooling a little more carefully... As a person from a relatively small town, I just have a hard time believing that all the stress involved with making CPS work (the testing, the application process, the long commutes to *kindergarten* in many cases) makes sense for me.

In any event, I'm glad this thread is here.
#20 of 34 Old 03-15-2010, 12:15 PM

I have a former student who is now in Graduate School at IIT. He was one of the students doing the GEAP testing and he says that GEAP letters are scheduled to go out today! Bulk mail so we should have them by the end of the week.

I didn't apply to Interamerican but now I'm kind of wishing I did.
#21 of 34 Old 03-16-2010, 02:01 AM

I'm a graduate of Inter-American. The main problem with it now is that the school no longer has a 50/50 ratio of English/Spanish dominant speakers. This results in an iffy dual-language program. Parents and the co-founders fought the move (back to) LeMoyne for this very reason, as the neighborhood has few Spanish speakers and there is no busing.

It's a shame. I was in the 2nd graduating class from IAMS and the whole time I was in the program, we were promised our own building. We were very close to finally getting a brand new building in a perfect area, but some people had their own agenda and, well, now it's back in LeMoyne.

Many of the former IAMS parents have moved to Talcott, which is easy to get into, has a true dual-language program, and an excellent arts education.

ihathi, Chicago is such a great place to homeschool. One of the reasons we moved to the suburbs was because while Talcott was a good option for us, I didn't want to commit to a 16 mile (roundtrip) commute per day, so I wanted to be near a good neighborhood school, or at least with smaller class sizes! (Our local school was severely overcrowded.) Well, now we are homeschooling, and I'm not so sure I would have moved had I known this is what we'd be doing.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#22 of 34 Old 03-16-2010, 08:29 AM

I was reading a report on the CPS budget crisis lately. Some of the proposed measures to deal with the deficit include increasing class sizes to 37 and cutting funding for Magnet and GEAP programs. 37!! I just can't imagine much positive being possible a room full of 37 kindergartners with ONE teacher. Insane. They are also talking going to half-day kindergarten (which I personally wouldn't mind) but I know is going to present hardship for many people.

Chicago is a great place to homeschool! We have so many resources here -- including a few homeschool and unschooler groups.
#23 of 34 Old 03-22-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonalee View Post
heatherdeg - definitely choose carefully if you come to Chicago. There ARE decent areas. And areas change - are you looking at school for now or 5 years from now? I no longer have the site bookmarked since we bought/moved 1.5 years ago, but somewhere (I think on the chicago public schools site) is a map showing district boundries. We landed in Jefferson Park.
No... I have a 6yo and we have to move to IL by 9/1 of this year. Jefferson Park is actually a contender. Continuing to homeschool may or may not be an option, so the schools are definitely a factor.

Having the district boundaries are one thing, but knowing which districts to be in is another.

#24 of 34 Old 03-22-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius View Post
ihathi, Chicago is such a great place to homeschool. One of the reasons we moved to the suburbs was because while Talcott was a good option for us, I didn't want to commit to a 16 mile (roundtrip) commute per day, so I wanted to be near a good neighborhood school, or at least with smaller class sizes! (Our local school was severely overcrowded.) Well, now we are homeschooling, and I'm not so sure I would have moved had I known this is what we'd be doing.
Mizelenius, thank you for this.

Thanks, too, for the insight into Inter-American. We actually speak spanish in our home and currently have DS1 in a 3-day-a-week spanish immersion preschool (Puerta Abierta in Evanston). Our ideal would be for him to continue w/ dual language education, though I didn't let myself think too much about this as I was submitting apps to CPS schools.

As far as I could tell, the only way we could continue dual language exposure in CPS would be if 1) we got lucky in the lottery and then 2) we committed to a really long commute to kindergarten!

Now, when I think about how easy it would be to incorporate dual language education into homeschooling, it almost seems laughable that we would do anything but!

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread w/ all this talk about homeschooling! It's just that, for us, the CPS process has very much been the catalyst for our homeschooling research... Still waiting to see what the mail brings, though...

The nice thing about homeschooling is that it's kind of a non-decision at this point... No deposit to get in, no applications to fill out...
#25 of 34 Old 03-24-2010, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

ihathi-It's not really a hijack. I totally understand how this CPS situation could lead you to homeschool.

It sounds like some letters have started going out... Now is the part that I really hate: waiting for the mail.
I found a great blog called CPS Obsessed. It has clear explainations of the different types of schools and is funny too. Also has a post about letters...
#26 of 34 Old 03-24-2010, 06:46 PM

Ha! A funny story from the CPS lottery...

We actually received an acceptance letter from Disney two days ago... Then received a waiting list letter from the same school today. It turns out there was an administrative error, you see--the acceptance letter was a mistake. For two days, I was actually deliberating whether we would send DS1 to a school where the online teacher bios started with, "If I were a Disney character, I'd be..."
#27 of 34 Old 03-25-2010, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

ihathi! What a mean trick. Disney should offer you a spot even though it was a mistake. Besides where else is your ds going to learn what disney character he is most like? (just kidding. I know it is a highly respected school.)
#28 of 34 Old 03-29-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
ihathi! What a mean trick. Disney should offer you a spot even though it was a mistake. Besides where else is your ds going to learn what disney character he is most like? (just kidding. I know it is a highly respected school.)

Honestly, Rosesarered, I think we just have to consider this a blessing in disguise.

I'm afraid DS1's Disney I.Q. is disturbingly low. It never would have worked out...

In other news, we're starting to build some momentum on the homeschool discussion--the more we talk to folks about homeschooling, the more reasonable it all seems...

The big test will be breaking the news to my parents in two weeks...
#29 of 34 Old 04-02-2010, 10:34 AM

How did the school search end up for everyone? We were wait-listed at every magnet I applied to (Hawthorne, Stone, Franklin) but our neighborhood school (Peirce) is a good option.

My daughter tested into Skinner North which we are going to visit on April 6th. Then we'll make our choice!
#30 of 34 Old 04-03-2010, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

I still don't have any letters! (Well that isn't true, I got one today from the school my dd already attends.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page