VBAC in western suburbs of Chicago - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-21-2010, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not PG but want to start TTC in a few months. My DD was delivered by c-section at Edward in Naperville. We live in the far western suburbs. Edward is clearly out since I can't imagine anyone actually ends up having a VBAC at Edward. (for the record, despite what was probably an unnecessary c-section, I believe that Edward is a very good hospital. The nurses were great and we had a very comfortable stay there. If I wanted to have another c-section, I'd go back there without thinking twice.)

I think my chances of having a VBAC would be greatly enhanced by seeing midwives as opposed to OBs so I'm only looking at hospitals that allow midwives to attend deliveries. The midwives at Rush Copley in Aurora don't do VBACs. The midwives at Hindsale Hospital do VBACs but supposedly Hinsdale doesn't allow you to deliver in the tub. (I'm scared of natural childbirth so the idea of being able to labor and deliver in the tub is very reassuring.) I've heard great things about the 2 midwives groups at West Sub in Oak Park but I'm afraid of going to West Sub. If I end up needing a c-section, I want to be in a first class hospital and I've heard bad things about L&D at West Sub outside of the Alternative Birthing Rooms staffed by the midwives. I hear good things about UIC (per the Trib, it has the highest VBAC rate in the city) but it would be quite a drive from our house.

A HBAC is out since because it scares both my DH and me and we're not that close to an ER in case something went wrong.

Since we already have a DD (currently 4 months old), I'd like a hospital that allowed siblings without restrictions.

Any recommendations?
#2 of 9 Old 03-25-2010, 09:24 PM

icanofdupage.org

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#3 of 9 Old 03-27-2010, 01:54 AM

have you looked at Delnor -- allows sibs w/o restrictions.

focus on women practice has a midwife, Marla Ellis, who delivers at delnor. i have no info on vbacs however.

#4 of 9 Old 04-07-2010, 03:31 AM

I loved the West Suburban Midwives, but you're right, the hospital post-partum experience (in 2007 at least) was ridiculous. I'm in the same boat as you (except I'm due in December).

Dr-Mom and SAHD extraordinnaire. DD1 (5), DD2 (3), MMC 04/10.
#5 of 9 Old 04-08-2010, 12:14 AM

How far are you from Good Sam in Downers? My Aunt has been there, since well, too many years to count. She was in the NICU for years now she does lactation. I can speak for the care you would receive and the support as far as breast feeding goes. I can call her and ask about midwives if your interested. Feel free to contact me or just post a reply her and I'll give her a ring.
#6 of 9 Old 04-08-2010, 11:14 PM

I had baby #4 with the midwives from OMG http://www.omgwh.com/page2.html at Hinsdale.

I cannot say enough positive things about the group. I absolutely am done having children, but a small part of me would love to be pregnant just to be able to hang out with the MWs again. But, instead of going through all that , one of the MWs is my Facebook friend instead.

RE: not being able to give birth in the tub . . .I personally don't think it's a big deal. To me, labor (compared to pushing) is the hard part, and I think Hinsdale is great for even having a tub-- it's rare. You could try what I did and get to the hospital 20 minutes before giving birth but then you won't get to use the tub . . and the tub looked inviting!

The L/D nurses were amazing, too. Aftercare was OK-- most nurses great, one so-so. Lactation consultant was excellent, and the MW aftercare support is great in that dept. as well.

I liked the fact that if I had needed an OB, I had already met him, and knew he was on the same page as I was in terms of medical intervention.

Congrats!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#7 of 9 Old 05-06-2010, 05:26 PM

There are many things to consider when choosing a birth place and practitioner. I have been working with parents for many years helping them explore their options. If you want to give birth with confidence I can help. Please call me.

--
Peace on earth begins with birth and body work.

Jo Anne Lindberg MEd ABT
President & Founder
BirthLink.com
Five Element Shiatsu
1555 Sherman Avenue #175 (mailing address only)
Evanston, IL 60201
847-733-8050

www.birthlink.com
#8 of 9 Old 05-17-2010, 01:19 AM

Have you called Rush Copley? I called Karen less than 2 months ago and was told they do VBACs (even w. Noreen being gone). Not sure if it makes a difference that I am a current patient and saw them during my last pregnancy (obviously ended up with a c/s).

SAHM to DS (11/08) and EDD 3/8/11!
#9 of 9 Old 09-24-2010, 12:47 PM

I don't know where you are in your ttc journey, but I am looking for a provider right now as well. I had been planning to go to West Suburban Women's Health, but Willowbrook (where the practice is located) and Hinsdale (where they deliver) is pretty far from me. After hearing Karen/Rush's policy may have changed, I gave them a call (literally as I was typing this).

In my situation at least (secondary VBAC), they said she would do a VBAC.

Karen and Noreen were my midwives for my first pregnancy and I loved them and loved Rush. I was sad to end up with a cesarean (it was scheduled due to breech presentation and a failed ECV), but they still showed up (briefly) before and after to cheer me on.

I'm released from my RE in a few weeks and will be scheduling a consultation appointment with Karen to be sure everything is in order.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page