Iowa Mamas 2010 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-19-2010, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mark your calendars!

La Leche League of CR is holding our 4th Annual World Breastfeeding Week Event August 14 at Thomas Park in Marion from 5-7pm
We have both shelters.
We will be providing hamburgers, drinks, and tableware, please bring a dish to share.
We are also having our main fundraiser-our SILENT AUCTION
We have tons of great stuff including hand spun and hand dyed yarn, cloth diapers,knitted longies, baby carriers, organic food items, a massage, breast pumps, and MUCH MORE!

Please come and visit with us!
Ann

PS. Our next meeting will be Tuesday, Aug 10 at 7pm if you would like to come. Please PM me for more info.

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ooooh that is my birthday & my husband & I's anniversary, we will be up that way that weekend, I hope I can stop by

Mrs. (28) Wife to the Mr. (26) Mama to K (10g) & J (5b). Expecting #3 10/10. Hoping for a HBA2C.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:16 PM

I know DEM's aren't legal in Iowa so if I get no replies to this post I understand, but feel free to PM. Does anyone have a DEM rec that will travel to CR? My midwife just lost her license for 6 months and considering I'm 30 weeks pregnant I'm kind of freaking out. Hospital birth is an option for us, either St. Luke's or Mercy in CR, but I had my heart set on a home birth.

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 08-03-2010, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post
I know DEM's aren't legal in Iowa so if I get no replies to this post I understand, but feel free to PM. Does anyone have a DEM rec that will travel to CR? My midwife just lost her license for 6 months and considering I'm 30 weeks pregnant I'm kind of freaking out. Hospital birth is an option for us, either St. Luke's or Mercy in CR, but I had my heart set on a home birth.
You can contact the www.IowaMidwivesAssociation.org

If you are looking at hospital birth it is vital to be in an environment where the protocol and the staff are natural birth friendly and supportive. I highly recommend the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC), specifically the team of Certified Nurse Midwives. I have a number of families who travel from Cedar Rapids and beyond to give birth in Iowa City. For a natural or low intervention birth it is so important to be isupported, "to swim with the current rather than against it"
Feel free to PM me with questions.

: babywearing, doula mama
Old 08-03-2010, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Please mark your calendars for these events!

Labor Day Friends of Iowa Midwives is hosting a picnic and silent auction at Wetherby Park in Iowa City (the splash pad!). Come and do your holiday shopping early with amazing goods and services in the corridor area!

And on Sat Oct 9, FOIM is hosting a WALK FOR MIDWIVES in Iowa City. We will start at College Green Park at 8 am and take a leisurely loop through the Farmer's Market and downtown Iowa City.

We are looking to raise a LOT of money this year because we are REALLY CLOSE to having our bill passed. We want to put all our eggs in the 2011 basket and make it happen THIS YEAR, so if you've thought about helping before but weren't sure, THIS IS THE YEAR TO PLEASE JOIN US AND HELP. PM me for more info!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
Old 08-03-2010, 01:06 PM

Hi! I'm Jenn, part time WOHM mom of 2 girls and expecting a new baby in early January. I'm in the north central area of the state and have lived here my entire life.

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
Old 08-03-2010, 02:36 PM

Jenn - Welcome!!! I'm in central Iowa, near Ames. Dd1 is the same age as your Dd1.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom View Post
Jenn - Welcome!!! I'm in central Iowa, near Ames. Dd1 is the same age as your Dd1.
I live about 30 minutes from Ames! So cool to have people on here that close to me!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

Old 08-11-2010, 01:58 AM

Just a reminder-it's this Saturday!

Mark your calendars!

La Leche League of CR is holding our 4th Annual World Breastfeeding Week Event August 14 at Thomas Park in Marion from 5-7pm
We have both shelters.
We will be providing hamburgers, drinks, and tableware, please bring a dish to share.
We are also having our main fundraiser-our SILENT AUCTION
We have tons of great stuff including hand spun and hand dyed yarn, cloth diapers, knitted longies, baby carriers, organic food items, a massage, breast pumps, natural care items, Mothering magazine subscription and MUCH MORE!

Please come and visit with us!

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:31 PM

We've been pretty quiet here lately!

Just popping in to say hi and I ran my first 5K last weekend, dd2 will be 1 in a week, ds and dd1 are doing great in school, dh has a job, and I opened my own practice (sharing space with a massage therapist and a wellness coach/naturopath).

I'm enjoying the cooler weather this weekend: made chicken noodle soup and fresh bread.

Hope everyone is doing good.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Old 09-19-2010, 08:41 PM

I'm an Iowa mama now. Ds was born last November. We live in the Ft Dodge area. I don't seem to run across a lot of like minded mamas in this area. We've love to move to the Ames area, it's just not in the cards right now.

We love the fall weather as well, except it just means winter will be behind it. I really hope it's a milder winter than last year!

Wife to an awesome stay at home dad and mama to a crazy 2 year old, expecting #2 Jan 3

Old 09-19-2010, 09:16 PM

aerobrandi - you're about an hour north of me. I've got a friend that lives up Fort Dodge way - she's having her 2nd next week. I'll be up there for a scrapbook party in late October. Love to meet you then.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:34 PM

I live about a hour south/east if Fort Dodge and drive there once every week for therapy. So neat we should all have a gathering at a local park sometime. Maybe next summer lol. It really is fall here already huh?

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

Old 11-05-2010, 01:39 AM

bump!

Old 11-08-2010, 06:00 PM

Send in your calendar photos today!

Our 2010 Born at Home Calendars were so popular last year that we're bringing this project back in time for the holidays! If you would like to be included in our 2011 Calendar, send us photos of your kids born at home in Iowa!

The deadline for photo submissions is November 14. We prefer high resolution photos. Send your submissions to: [email protected].

You can send as many photos as you like - we will narrow it down. Along with your photo, please include a paragraph that responds to the question "Why we had our child(ren) at home" and include the location where the birth took place. A committee will select the finalists and we'll get back in touch with you for permissions.

We would like to see families represented from across the state, so please share this notice far and wide!

Renee Roso, CLC: Professional Postpartum Doula, Certified Lactation Counselor - http://www.reneeroso.com
Old 12-17-2010, 10:23 AM

For those in Central Iowa....

I am hosting a Breastfeeding Support Group at my office in Boone on December 30 (Thursday) from 10:00 - 11:30.  We'll have snacks and beverages, and a scale that goes to 44 lbs for weighing babies and toddlers.  :)  If you want to come, send me a PM and I'll send you the address and a phone number.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 AM

Conscious Birth Summit, January 15, 2011
5th Annual Conscious Birth Summit, January 15, 2011, Iowa City Public Library*, FREE and open to the public. Spread the word!

10 a.m. "Healing Yourself and Your Inner Child During Pregnancy and Loss"

With over 20 years of healing experience, Dr. Tanya English is on a mission to introduce people to the healing power they possess. She has had first hand experience in healing from pregnancy loss and in blended families. She has introduced thousands of people to Bio Energetic Synchronization Technique and is a Master of B.E.S.T. Dr. English will introduce you to successful ways to create healing in your life now.

10:30 "Embodying Pregnancy" Janelle Railey, MA, LMHC of Mindful Birthing

11:15 Discussion with Dr. Ron Robinson, D.C. of Robinson Family Wellness

12:30 "Birth Movement: How to use positions, the birth ball, squat bar, & birth sling for your positive hospital birth," Jun-Nicole Matsushita of Bamboo Birth Services

1:15 Meet the Doulas and Childbirth Educators

2:00 Film Screening. Laboring Under and Illusion: Birth in the Media vs. Reality

3:30 "Hospital Practitioners and Doulas," with OB and CNMs

5:00 Film Screening. Guerilla Midwife

6:30 Q & A Panel with Homebirth Midwives, sponsored by Iowa Midwives Association

*If you aren't an Iowa City local and are looking for a way to get out of the house, the library is a great destination for kids and adults alike! There's a huge children's section with a book-house, play kitchen, train tables, AV equipment. If your spouse wants to come and kid-wrangle, there's the UI's Macbride Museum of Natural History, Prairie Lights bookstore, downtown wandering/shopping, the Children's Museum at the Coral Ridge Mall, or playing in the snow at one of the local parks. ;)

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
Old 01-11-2011, 09:39 AM

guess it's time for a new Iowa thread ;)

La Leche Leaque of Cedar Rapids meets tonight-January 11 at 7pm at Birth, Baby, and Beyond!

Old 01-11-2011, 09:44 AM

I started a 2011 thread here:

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1290829/iowa-mamas-2011#post_16177793

Be sure to head over and subscribe :)

User Tag List