Iowa Mamas 2010 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 79 Old 03-24-2010, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, so it's almost April.... who cares? I like having an Iowa thread!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#2 of 79 Old 04-02-2010, 01:37 AM

I was just wondering if we had a 2010 thread and here it is! Thanks. :-)

Wife and mama to one awesome boy. love.gif
#3 of 79 Old 04-03-2010, 11:44 PM

And now it is April!

Everyone having a great weekend? Lots of family stuff around here--today was a long drive to see my side of the family and tomorrow it's full of husband's side.

Would you mind introducing yourself a bit? I'm new here. I was on another pgncy board, but the medical mindedness of it all was about to drive me off the deep end!

I'm mom to 3 1/2 (due Labor Day), married to a farmer.

Hope to get to know other IA moms!

Jessica: wife and helpmate to a farmer and mama to two girls and two boys
#4 of 79 Old 04-04-2010, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

I'm Lauren, I live in North Liberty (between IC and CR). I'm a grad student and mother to 2, Robin (2 yrs) and Holly (9 weeks). I am on the steering committee of Friends of Iowa Midwives.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#5 of 79 Old 04-04-2010, 01:25 PM

Jennifer. popping in - in central IA. Subbing to the thread.

I was really bummed that the midwife bill didn't make it this year, but excited that it got as far as it did.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#6 of 79 Old 04-04-2010, 07:24 PM

Hi!

I live in the Quad Cities--I was bummed about the bill too. I can't even tell you how many letters I sent out to my own reps & to tons of ppl across the state asking them to send letters too.

We're planning a homebirth, w/ a CNM, but someday, I want to be a certified midwife. I would love to be able to give that gift to others.

What do you like to do in your free time?

#7 of 79 Old 04-04-2010, 08:06 PM

hmmm... free time... I like to read, sew, knit, crochet, sing and swim... I'm a very slow knitter and crocheter tho. Mostly, I teach at a tech college in Des Moines part time, and I'm a chiropractor working on getting up and going. I'm soaking up as much time as I can with the kids - try to read to them at least 4 times a week (working our way thru the Harry Potter series).

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

#8 of 79 Old 04-07-2010, 01:15 PM

Hi Iowa mamas! This is my first tribe post, so I'll introduce myself.

I'm Erin. I live with my DF & wonderful baby boy (who is almost 1!) in Iowa City. I stay home with DS, but worked in Marketing at a natural foods co-op before he was born. I do some advertising sales (from home) for a local food magazine.

I love to cook & bake. I also enjoy reading - although for the past 1.5 years, I've been mostly reading about baby stuff!!

DS & I have been going on lots of walks now that the weather is getting warmer. That plus getting ready for his 1st birthday party are currently keeping us busy!

I look forward to chatting with you all. It is nice to "meet" all of you.

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#9 of 79 Old 04-08-2010, 12:28 AM

Hi Erin--welcome to the Iowa tribe :-) Mmmm....I love to bake too. Cooking is more of a on a "has to" basis. You seem to be the girl to go to for food related questions!

I also knit & read. Loved the Harry Potter series--I had to google almost all the English food. I'm so pathetic :-) And Jennifer--I could NOT live w/o my chiro!

It's funny how my what I'm reading changes w/ what season I'm in. Like how you Erin have been reading about babies for the past year 1/2. For a while it's discipline, then birth, then fiction...Right now I'm reading Wide Neighborhoods, an autobiography of a nurse who established Frontier Nursing in the Appalachian mountains...so interesting.

What are you going to school for Lauren?
Hi iris!

Hope everyone is having a great week despite this crazy cold weather--Oh the lovely fickleness of an April day. (William Hamilton Gibson.)

#10 of 79 Old 04-08-2010, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

I know it was a bummer that our bill didn't get through, but we made incredible progress this year. I feel extremely optimistic about next year. KEEP SENDING LETTERS AND STUFF. That is the only way we get the attention and support of legislators.

I'm in a literacy education PhD program at the U. It's a lovely program with great people!

Erin, did you work for New Pi? My husband worked there for awhile.

Anyone going to the CSA Fair this Saturday? I'm going to try and make it!

#11 of 79 Old 04-08-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
Erin, did you work for New Pi? My husband worked there for awhile.

Anyone going to the CSA Fair this Saturday? I'm going to try and make it!
I worked for New Pi awhile ago, baking & cooking in the deli. I did Marketing in Ames, though, at Wheatsfield Co-op. Now I get to shop at New Pi.

Where is the CSA Fair?

Kevinsgirl - I loved Harry Potter, too & also wanted to try all the food! I'm especially intrigued by Pumpkin Juice & Butter Beer.

#12 of 79 Old 04-10-2010, 08:01 PM

So excited that there is a Iowa tribe!!!
I live in a tiny town 30 minutes north of Ames. I SAH except every other Sunday when I work at the hospital in Ames.
As much as I hate winter I love Iowa and am super excited about getting my garden going! It is only my second yr of having my own Garden so I have tons to learn but I'm having fun doing it.

I enjoy baking bread and cooking, canning, playing outside, reading, gardening (obviously lol),and spending time with my children can't wait to meet more like minded people in the area!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#13 of 79 Old 04-11-2010, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

I will be doing some container gardening this year. Have to remember when to start stuff -- last summer I planned to do a lot of gardening but spent all my time pregnant and sick .

Anyone know where to get fresh eggs in IC/CR?

#14 of 79 Old 04-11-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie T View Post
So excited that there is a Iowa tribe!!!
I live in a tiny town 30 minutes north of Ames. I SAH except every other Sunday when I work at the hospital in Ames.
Katie - you're not that far from me. I'm in Boone.

#15 of 79 Old 04-11-2010, 10:22 PM

Howdy Mamas! I figured I'd say hello as well.

I'm a stay-at-home-mama to my (almost) 3 1/2 year-old son and seven-month-old daughter. We're about an hour east of Des Moines. My husband is a geek, and I'm pretty much too busy to have any hobbies right now (but I do enjoy baking and cake decorating, crocheting, reading, and pseudo-sewing). We co-sleep (my choice, but not my husband's), cloth diaper, homebirth, babywear, and homeschool.

I just spent most of this past weekend planting a flower garden (I was waaay to optimistic in February when I placed the order!), and soon we'll be getting around to planting the veggies. I don't have much of a green thumb, though, so we'll see how much actually grows. This is my second year gardening, but last year basically was get-the-plants-in-the-ground-and-then-be-way-too-sick-to-even-weed-once-a-week, so we'll call that pre-gardening. This year, I'm not pregnant and more determined!

Last night my husband turned on the PS2 and was getting ready to play a game when my son said, "Daddy, you need to wait until I'm not around to play that. It's not appropriate for me to watch. Maybe we could play Mario Brothers on the Wii instead?" Wow - I guess he listens more than we realize!

Glad to see other crunchy mamas in Iowa!
#16 of 79 Old 04-11-2010, 11:01 PM

Hi everyone! it's great to meet you all.

I'm a almost SAHM (i'm doing a little research for my doc, but i am a long way from done) who lives near Coon Rapids, a little town about and hour north west of DSM. I am also new to the area, i moved here from WV in January with my husband of 10 years and our (hopefully) 1st son who is now 9 months old. It was a hard winter but now that spring is here, i am falling in love with Iowa.

I am starting my first full fledged garden- we have been moving and apartment living until now and i have only ever done a few containers or a little patch. We are also pretty crunchy- basically trying to live simply and well on very little. I also love draw, sew and cook vegetarian and vegan foods and read- esoteric stuff for my degree as well as anything else i can get my hands on, although my son just loves to get his hands on books, which can be challenging.

I would love to connect more with more moms with more eclectic points of view- people here have been very welcoming (despite what i was told), but unfortunately, most people in similar situations to me have pretty mainstream views.
#17 of 79 Old 04-12-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jildez View Post
Hi everyone! it's great to meet you all.

I'm a almost SAHM (i'm doing a little research for my doc, but i am a long way from done) who lives near Coon Rapids, a little town about and hour north west of DSM. I am also new to the area, i moved here from WV in January with my husband of 10 years and our (hopefully) 1st son who is now 9 months old. It was a hard winter but now that spring is here, i am falling in love with Iowa.

I am starting my first full fledged garden- we have been moving and apartment living until now and i have only ever done a few containers or a little patch. We are also pretty crunchy- basically trying to live simply and well on very little. I also love draw, sew and cook vegetarian and vegan foods and read- esoteric stuff for my degree as well as anything else i can get my hands on, although my son just loves to get his hands on books, which can be challenging.

I would love to connect more with more moms with more eclectic points of view- people here have been very welcoming (despite what i was told), but unfortunately, most people in similar situations to me have pretty mainstream views.
what are you getting you degree in?

#18 of 79 Old 04-12-2010, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Any of you all that hasn't checked out Friends of Iowa Midwives and signed up for your local chapter's yahoo group, I encourage you to do so. It's a great way to meet other crunchy mamas/families and we could use all the homebirth supporters we can get!!

www.friendsofiowamidwives.org

#19 of 79 Old 04-13-2010, 06:27 PM

Where does the phrase 'crunchy' come from? Crunchy granola? Because AP parents eat granola?

We have a big garden, but I have nothing to do with it other than provide the space My dad does the work, with a little help from my hubs. He can't have a garden where he lives--and let me tell you it's great to eat the fruits of his labor! I can't seem to find the stick-to-itiveness to follow through for a whole season. Of course, being pregnant or a nursling every summer topped by allergies may have something to do with it.

Speaking of, I read in Mother Earth News that nettles really help w/ allergies--even better than Zertec--any input there?

Lauren, I'll be in IC on Wednesday to see my midwife, want me to bring you some eggs?

Greenbeanmama--awesome that your boy recognized that game as inappropriate--I LOVE moments like that, when you can see the fruits of your labor!

#20 of 79 Old 04-14-2010, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsgirl View Post

Lauren, I'll be in IC on Wednesday to see my midwife, want me to bring you some eggs?
r
I'd love some but I am in No Liiberty which is about 20 min away. If Kathy is your midwife she can tell you how to get here!!

#21 of 79 Old 04-14-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom View Post
what are you getting you degree in?
Curriculum and Instruction- i focus on educating teachers to be effective in cross cultural settings. But, I still have a 18 hours of course work to do before ieven get to the dissertation phase, so i don't know if i am going to transfer to Iowa State or just take the rest my coursework there and pay to have it accepted at West Virginia, were I was. I need to get up to Ames and meet people there and see what are my options. For now i am taking a single credit and skyping with my research subject. I haven't figured out what i will do in the fall.
#22 of 79 Old 04-14-2010, 06:59 PM

subbing
#23 of 79 Old 04-21-2010, 12:52 PM

I was just thinking the other day that I had not heard anything from the Iowa mamas at MDC. That's because the other thread was from 2009 oops!

Glad someone started a new one.

I'm Ann and live between Marion and Mt Vernon out in the boonies. I have 4 kids ages 11,8,5,9mos. We homeschool too.

I'm one of the local La Leche League leaders in CR so want to invite you to the evening mtg at 7pm on the 2nd Tuesday of each month at Birth Baby and Beyond and/or the 3rd Friday of the month we meet at Thomas park in Marion at 10am for playtime and chat.

For anyone interested in homeschooling....a new secular group is meeting Tuesday, May 18 at 10am at the Marion Library conference room and sharing/discussing curriculum. The more the merrier!

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#24 of 79 Old 04-22-2010, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jildez View Post
Curriculum and Instruction- i focus on educating teachers to be effective in cross cultural settings. But, I still have a 18 hours of course work to do before ieven get to the dissertation phase, so i don't know if i am going to transfer to Iowa State or just take the rest my coursework there and pay to have it accepted at West Virginia, were I was. I need to get up to Ames and meet people there and see what are my options. For now i am taking a single credit and skyping with my research subject. I haven't figured out what i will do in the fall.
Hey, I'm getting my PhD in education, too! Teaching & Learning, technically. LMK if you have Qs about Iowa's C&I program... it's one of the best in the nation (although if you're considering IA state that might not be very helpful...).

#25 of 79 Old 04-23-2010, 12:16 AM

Yeah, we had someone in our faculty who get her doc from iowa, but its just too far... Ames is about a two hour trip on good weather for me, Iowa City would mean overnights and right now i don't feel that is a good option for my little family. I want to a yoga class tonight, and i came home after 1 1/2 hours as if i had been gone all day.
#26 of 79 Old 04-25-2010, 07:05 PM

Welcome Ann :-)

So lets talk toys--does anyone feel the Waldorf type dolls are worth the $$? My girls love their plastic ones just fine, but I do so love the look of the cloth ones, like you can find on Etsy and NovaNatural...

Hope you're having a great weekend!

#27 of 79 Old 04-26-2010, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So lets talk toys--does anyone feel the Waldorf type dolls are worth the $$? My girls love their plastic ones just fine, but I do so love the look of the cloth ones, like you can find on Etsy and NovaNatural...
I hear raves about them. I just like cloth dolls because I can throw them in the washer when they get gross . I'm not sure what the difference/benefits are of the Waldorf style over others?

#28 of 79 Old 04-26-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Hope you're having a great weekend!
Even though I loved the cloth dolls and a few of them, they never got played with. However, play silks were a huge hit. We have about 6 of them in different sizes/colors and they were capes, skirts, houses, grass, oceans, etc.

Wooden vehicles also never got played with. I guess they just couldn't compare to the bright colorful metal or plastic ones.

We did get a wooden doll stroller from Nova toys that we've had for 6 yrs that I love-totally worth the $45. It's sturdy, nice looking, and has pushed dolls, animals, dinos, etc.

We also had a nice wood broom and dustpan that is still used.

Same for wood food-lasts forever, kids like it and worth the extra money IMO.

The one thing we never got that I regret was the nice wood kitchen. They were $150+ and DH always said no way. But we had 2 cheapo ones over the yrs that sucked. We had a friend that had one of the nice wood ones from Nova and it lasted great, never broke, and the kids loved it. Even after they grow up it's something that could be passed down to grand kids because it would surely last that long.

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#29 of 79 Old 04-26-2010, 05:33 PM

For those of you in the IC area, what doctors do you use? Who do you use for your kids? Do you like them? Do you know if they are selective/delayed and/or no-vax-friendly?

I think we may have to change docs for DS. He was seeing a FP at the UIHC southside clinic. She was allowing us to wait on vaxing (not happy about it, but allowing it) but now says the clinic is no longer allowing patients who are not up-to-date on vaxes. I don't want to quickly bring him up-to-date just to stay there. Plus, there were some (or maybe all, still not sure) that I was considering never doing, so it wouldn't work anyway.

Any help? Anyone in a similar situation & like their doc?
Thanks!!

#30 of 79 Old 05-05-2010, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the toy input--it's always good to know what others think before spending the money.

Have you guys received your May Mothering yet? I haven't and I called on it, and they said any day...It's such a highlight when it gets here...

Husband just came in--he'd found our one year old's shoe stuck in the chicken house door. Oops. Good thing the hens didn't figure that out!

Gotta go make some dessert for MOMS group tomorrow--hope you're all well

Sorry I can't help on the IC doc recs...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page