Chicago Midwife Recommendations??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-01-2010, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, I'm delivering my second child in November. We moved to Evanston 2 years ago and are looking for an amazing midwife! I did find a midwife group in Oak park (west suburban midwives) that sound incredible, AND they allow siblings to attend/participate in birth, however, they don't take our insurance and it's 3grand out of pocket ( Any great experiences anyone wants to share??? Thanks so much! xoxoxo
#2 of 21 Old 04-03-2010, 10:37 AM

Kristin,

I'm delivering with the midwife group at Northwestern. I've been happy with my experience so far, and the new Prentice Women's Hospital is fantastic (private rooms, birthing tubs available if you want them, a strong emphasis on rooming-in with your baby, etc.). There is also a midwife group at UIC that you might want to look into. Good luck!
#3 of 21 Old 04-03-2010, 01:56 PM

Kristin, you should check out Kathy Puls, she is right in Evanston and she is wonderful: http://www.kathypuls.com/

Also, closer to you but in Chicago, the Swedish Covenant Midwives are pretty great.

I find if you go to slower hospitals (as opposed to Northwestern/Prentice) you usually are able to have a bit more say in how you want everything to go, and you have less risk of intervention. I have dozens of stories with just about every MW group in the Chicago area, just don't have time to post them! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions you want answered.

Mama to A born 8/7/99
#4 of 21 Old 04-05-2010, 12:32 PM

There are 2 other midwifery groups in Oak Park that work out of West Suburban alternative birthing center-- they may take your insurance....
#5 of 21 Old 04-05-2010, 01:55 PM

I've heard a lot of really good things about Gaye Koconis and the midwife she works with, Debi Lesnick. Here's another mothering thread mentioning them:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=961771

Someone I know had two very good birth experiences with Gaye.

I'm really surprised to hear anyone recommending Prentice. I've heard nothing but awful things about it from anyone who wanted an unmedicated, low-intervention birth.

If you're interested in homebirth, there's Jennifer Gagnon of A Woman's Place Birth and Health (she's my midwife) and Sarah Simmons in Evanston. I really like Jen and would give a more specific rec, but I called too late with my son's birth and she arrived after he was born. I was and am very happy with her care in all respects, though.

If you aren't aware of it, you might want to take a look on birthlink for more options:

http://www.birthlink.com/
#6 of 21 Old 04-05-2010, 03:49 PM

+1 on the Prentice comments. I've heard great things about MW Carol Hirschfield that's in that practice BUT she is still stuck operating under the hospital's insane policies- including a set time clock for labor. They have tubs, true, but nobody I know has been allowed to use them, even if requested. In fact, the doula we just hired birthed her 2nd there and though she requested a tub they were denied.

West Suburban is the only hospital in the area that allows you to birth in a tub. Swedish Covenant lets you labor in a tub but requires you to get out when it's time to push.

A friend delivered at Swedish Covenant midwives about a month ago. They were in labor for 36 hrs. Eventually the MW called a volunteer doula to help out. After 24 or so in the hospital they all agreed on pitocin. But aside from that all went as planned, they're happy.

I'm 16w and going with West Suburban Midwives. I'm super happy. I think given the option $3000 sounds like a lot, but it seems to be the only practice that even offers the option of natural waterbirth.

All that said... University of Illinois has a HUGE MW practice and the lowest c-section rate in the area. They're not real online and I haven't talked to anyone who's used them, but I've heard whispers here and there that they're good. My insurance didn't cover them so I didn't look into it any closer, but it might be worth looking into....
#7 of 21 Old 04-05-2010, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I had two home births with Jennifer Gagnon of A Woman's Place. She was wonderful. My second was born just last March. I do believe that she only does home births, now, though.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#8 of 21 Old 04-06-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieInChicago View Post
+1 on the Prentice comments. I've heard great things about MW Carol Hirschfield that's in that practice BUT she is still stuck operating under the hospital's insane policies- including a set time clock for labor. They have tubs, true, but nobody I know has been allowed to use them, even if requested. In fact, the doula we just hired birthed her 2nd there and though she requested a tub they were denied.
That's interesting because my experience has been the complete opposite. I have spoken to many women who have birthed naturally at Prentice with the midwives and who have had great experiences. I have also met several doulas who had helped women labor and deliver naturally at Prentice. In fact, my sonographer birthed her second naturally at Prentice in the tub and had nothing but positive things to say about it! The midwives have been great about talking about how to get around certain hospital policies (which they think are stupid but are in place because people are overly litigious), and I have felt very supported thus far in terms of my birthing plan (which includes no mandatory IV, delayed cord cutting, etc.) Basically, my midwife looked at it and said, "This is no problem. We do all this stuff anyway." I'm very much looking forward to the end of this journey (which should be in about two weeks!)

Quote:
West Suburban is the only hospital in the area that allows you to birth in a tub. Swedish Covenant lets you labor in a tub but requires you to get out when it's time to push.
I just wanted to add that Prentice does allow for labor and delivery in the tub. The only thing they won't let you do is deliver the placenta in the tub because they want to be able to get an accurate sense of how much blood loss occurs with delivery of the placenta.
#9 of 21 Old 04-07-2010, 06:11 PM

Sorin- Wow, I'm really glad you're having such a posi experience. Plz keep us posted on how your birthing at Prentice goes! I hope it's all you plan for and I hope the stories I've heard don't cause any concern. It would be great if they've turned things around.
#10 of 21 Old 04-07-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Sorin- Wow, I'm really glad you're having such a posi experience. Plz keep us posted on how your birthing at Prentice goes! I hope it's all you plan for and I hope the stories I've heard don't cause any concern. It would be great if they've turned things around.
Thanks, Julie! This is our first, and we are very excited!
#11 of 21 Old 04-08-2010, 12:48 AM

I don't mean to diss Prentice, but in my experience with birthing my first child there, much was promised to me by the midwives which didn't actually happen. Delivered at Swedish with my second and had a much better experience.
#12 of 21 Old 04-08-2010, 03:17 PM

I have to agree with Thistles in general regarding Prentice. I hear about a lot of broken promises. That said-- I just had a co-worker have a great water birth with midwives and a doula at Prentice.

I would HIGHLY recommend a doula if you are going to attempt to birth normally at Prentice. You will need help navigating the pushback.
#13 of 21 Old 04-08-2010, 03:34 PM

It sounds like one can have many different experiences at Prentice. I delivered my son (preterm) with the NMPG midwives 6 years ago. Although my water broke prematurely my midwife continued to respect my wishes for a natural childbirth. I felt very fortunate to be in a hospital with a NICU, atleast I had a chance to provide my son with physical contact round the clock. During his 21 day stay many preemies were flown in from other hospitals while their mothers stayed behind. These little beings were all alone. I can not say enough for the comfort of being in the same place as my baby.
This time around I am considered "high risk" which doesn't change the respect my decisions are given. I will use a doula and plan to birth in a tub. Good Luck!
#14 of 21 Old 04-12-2010, 10:10 PM

I birthed my first son at Prentice with the NMPG midwives in 2005 and had a good experience. I did want to use the water tub, but was not able to because my baby's heart rate had dropped and they induced me. My widwife Jennifer, who is no longer there, was so supportive and really was great during the delivery. I did feel a bit pressured into getting induced (by another midwife), and I don't think that they are all as natural as I am regarding medications and food choices. I also wish that you had one midwife throughout rather than all of them. When it comes time to deliver, you get whoever is on call.
That said, I am 24 weeks pregnant with the second baby and still going to the NMPG group. I am getting worried about the delivery as it gets closer for a few reasons:
1. We've moved considerable farther away from Prentice (about 8.5 miles away, but with Chicago traffic at the wrong time of day could mean 40 to 45 minutes away), and I worry about rushing to the hospital and possibly not getting there on time.
2. I have yet to really "click" with any of the midwives there now.
3. I did kind of feel that the hospital staff during the last time encouraged the use of formula and felt like I had a medical experience. (The new hospital is quite a bit nicer in terms of amenities though.)

Am I too far along to find a home-birth midwife or to switch over to the West Suburban Midwives group, which is only 5 miles away, but still could be a long drive in rush hour??

Any thoughts, advice or recommendations for a home birth midwife from personal experience would be appreciated.

Thanks!

mommy to Liam 11/23/2005 and due August 1, 2010
#15 of 21 Old 04-13-2010, 12:12 AM

One of my good friends recently delivered at Prentice...she wanted a natural childbirth experience, but it didn't go as planned.

Her labor stalled, and they ended up giving her some Pitocin...she was pushing for 3 hours when they have her the choice between forceps and a c-section. She choose the forceps...her baby was born with a large laceration and some skin missing from his little cheek thanks to the forceps--and my poor friend wound up with a third-degree tear.

Now anything can happen anywhere--it just seems to me that hospital births are more stressful and bound to have interventions regardless of where you are.

I gave birth in Rockford with a wonderful midwife...at a hospital, and I did require intervention (pre-eclampsia). Knowing what I know now, I think I would opt for a home-birth next time. I'm pretty certain my friend at Prentice wouldn't have needed any intervention if she was left to labor at home.

Just my thought....good luck finding one in Evanston.

I did find one (when I was looking for a midwife) that does homebirths in Libertyville...here's their website: http://www.yourbirth.com/
#16 of 21 Old 04-14-2010, 11:10 PM

I just found out that my insurance won't cover a home birth, and we can't afford the out of pocket expenses for the home birth. I think I may have to choose between staying with NMPG midwives or trying out the West Suburban Midwife Associates. Does anyone know if there are the same time constraints on delivery at Advocate where the WSMA practice as at Prentice? Also, are they more lax about moving about and not being hooked up to IVs and that sort of thing?? I really want to feel more comfortable in my setting and situation this time around.
Thanks for any feedback...

#17 of 21 Old 04-15-2010, 07:19 PM

MsFitz- WSMA delivers at Resurrection-West Suburban, not Advocate. ??? You should call them and ask directly though- esp your question about switching this late.
#18 of 21 Old 04-15-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
MsFitz- WSMA delivers at Resurrection-West Suburban, not Advocate. ??? You should call them and ask directly though- esp your question about switching this late.
Thanks JulieInChicago, that was totally my mistake about the hospital. You are right, it is West Suburban.

#19 of 21 Old 04-16-2010, 01:36 PM

West sub midwives do not do IVs unless there is a medical necessity. There is no restriction on food.

They have an altnernative birth center with queen sized beds, tubs, cd players.

It's a great environment.

That said-- it's only used by the midwives and if you risk out by being induced or wanting an epidural.
#20 of 21 Old 04-18-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamatoaBeaufils View Post
One of my good friends recently delivered at Prentice...she wanted a natural childbirth experience, but it didn't go as planned.

Her labor stalled, and they ended up giving her some Pitocin...she was pushing for 3 hours when they have her the choice between forceps and a c-section. She choose the forceps...her baby was born with a large laceration and some skin missing from his little cheek thanks to the forceps--and my poor friend wound up with a third-degree tear.

Now anything can happen anywhere--it just seems to me that hospital births are more stressful and bound to have interventions regardless of where you are.
My labor stalled when trying to do a homebirth--I transferred to UIC. I also got Pitocin and then pushed for 3 hrs. I tore, but never was told I needed to choose between forceps or a C-section! They were very cool. I refused antibiotics since my water had been broken for a long time, they wanted me to have them, but they were fine with that.
I would look into UIC. I think they are sort of a hidden gem.
#21 of 21 Old 02-04-2014, 04:45 PM

I see this post is years old.  Are you still "in the loop" as far as local midwifes?  What about south suburbs?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page