good doula in central IL? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-28-2010, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're not pregnant yet, but planning on trying for #2 very soon...if we go with the OB who attended the delivery of DS in the hospital (at the time, she wasn't our usual OB; our original OB was on vacation when DS was born), we will probably want to have a doula. We really like the OB and don't think she'd give us much trouble about our crunchy ways, but our hospital experience was typical of many (nurses mostly concentrated on the machine that goes ping! and not giving the laboring woman much personal support), and it was pretty clear that neither the OB or the nurses were too familiar with a woman laboring with no epidural, resisting Pitocin, and wanting to move around during labor.

There are no midwives covered under our insurance right now, but there's a chance our insurance will change next month and we'll get to go to the midwife we like at Carle. We just want to start looking now (and saving money for a doula) so we can be prepared should we have to go with the OB.

TIA for any suggestions!!

Adoring wife to my DH since 9/04, SAHM to biggrinbounce.gifDS(9/07)
stork-suprise.gif due 2/3/2011joy.gif
#2 of 12 Old 04-28-2010, 03:12 PM

Hi! I just thought I'd pass on a website you may find what you are looking for. Google: Heart of Illinois Doula Association. Hope this helps!

Kristen, married to Dh since 1995, Mom of 4 hatchlings chicken3.gif
Doula baby.gif

#3 of 12 Old 05-03-2010, 10:24 AM

I delivered with the CNMs at Carle, and while I didn't use a doula myself, I know the midwives were big fans of Sue Osborne.
#4 of 12 Old 05-17-2010, 05:37 PM

http://www.wisewomenbirthservices.com/

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#5 of 12 Old 06-19-2010, 05:48 PM

Where at in Central IL? I'm in Peoria. There are a number of doulas in my parenting group. Web page: http://www.cppeoria.org/ and meetup page: http://www.meetup.com/cppeoria/

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#6 of 12 Old 06-20-2010, 01:42 PM

We used (and loved!) Trish Wilkinson - I can't find her website right now, but I'll keep looking.

Wife to my hubby and SAHM to two boys -  DS1 (2) and DS2 (newborn).  Forever missing our three angels in Heaven. 

#7 of 12 Old 06-22-2010, 12:22 PM

Yes, where in Central IL? I am in the Quad Cities, but have travelled to Peoria for births before. You can check out my website at www.BirthQuadCities.com

Mrs. (28) Wife to the Mr. (26) Mama to K (10g) & J (5b). Expecting #3 10/10. Hoping for a HBA2C.
#8 of 12 Old 06-23-2010, 01:08 AM

Since she mentioned Carle Hospital, I'm pretty sure she's near Champaign-Urbana.
#9 of 12 Old 06-23-2010, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies! Yes, I'm around the Champaign-Urbana area. And since I posted this we actually got pregnant...I'm about 8 wks right now!

Anyhoo, as it turns out our insurance *did* change, but we'll still have to go to Christie Clinic...they have I think 3 nurse midwives there...I've only met one of them and she seemed ok but I wasn't pregnant at the time so I wasn't really concentrating on asking her pregnancy/childbirth-related questions! Does anybody have any experience with the midwives at Christie? Not really sure which one we're going to go with...I told DH that maybe I'll just see a different one at each appt and then decide which one we want to go with! Our first appt is next Friday (at 9 wks along...it's supposed to be 8 wks but my insurance doesn't change til July 1, so I wanted to avoid any ins switch issues)...Wish me luck!

Thanks for any other personal doula recommendations you wise mamas can give me!

#10 of 12 Old 06-30-2010, 07:29 PM

Congrats on your pregnancy! I couldn't find Trish Wilkinson's website, but I'd be happy to pm you her email address if you'd like. She is based in Chambana, and as I mentioned before, she was great. We used Christie's nurse midwives for our first pregnancy, and had an overall positive experience - if you'd like details, feel free to pm me.

Wife to my hubby and SAHM to two boys -  DS1 (2) and DS2 (newborn).  Forever missing our three angels in Heaven. 

#11 of 12 Old 07-01-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCats View Post
Congrats on your pregnancy! I couldn't find Trish Wilkinson's website, but I'd be happy to pm you her email address if you'd like. She is based in Chambana, and as I mentioned before, she was great. We used Christie's nurse midwives for our first pregnancy, and had an overall positive experience - if you'd like details, feel free to pm me.
Thank you! We're pretty excited! and thanks for looking for Trish's website...I googled her and didn't find a website...I would love for you to pm me her email address! And I have a few questions for you about the midwives if you don't mind me pm'ing you about that! Thanks again!

#12 of 12 Old 12-17-2010, 03:21 PM

Here is trish's website:

http://www.treeoflifedoulas.com/

I know this is really late, but I thought I would post it just in case.  

I am a doula in central IL (Bloomington area).  All the doulas I know around here are listed on Doula Match  http://doulamatch.net/ .  Trish was one of the doula trainers at my training and she was great.  I have heard great things about her.  :) 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page