Moving to Kansas City - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 07-29-2010, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Update:

Well, we looked and looked and looked. We ended up finding a house north of the river(I guess called the Northland???) in MO. Husband work is about a 36 min drive from the house. I always thought we would end up in Johnson County just because he actually works there and I heard so many good things about it, but for the amount of $ we were pre-approved for, this was a nice house with comm. pools, walking trails, and lake. IDK, hope I didn't make a mistake.

We tried to look in Olathe, Overland Park, etc. but saw a lot of homes without a finished basement. Wanted that and I guess it is really expensive to finish.

Location of house is actually a Kansas City, MO address and right on the border of Liberty, MO. Anybody out there close to here? Hope I'm not too far gone on the other side.
ginaglo likes this.

Super mom to a 5 1/2 year old girl, almost 4 yr old girl, and 2 year old boy.

#32 of 39 Old 08-06-2010, 11:46 PM

MyMary, I'm just finding this thread and thought I'd respond to you. Welcome to Missouri! I live in Lee's Summit, southeast Kansas City, but I grew up in Liberty. I don't know about the specific area you are in, but I don't think you've picked an area known to be seedy or anything. In fact, my Liberty friends seem to find more natural parenting support than I've found out here. Plus, you are close to pretty much everything (except Lee's Summit,) including the airport.

I have loved growing up in Missouri, knowing nothing else until after college. Now that I have kids and have lived in other states, I find it quite conservative overall for my tastes, yet very safe and easy to live in. In fact, it's so hard to move from here, mostly due to the low cost of living compared to other places. It's pro-family, just not much pro-natural family. But it's starting to change, I think.

Anyway, hope your move was not too stressful and you're getting settled here. You asked a tornado question earlier-- I've lived in Missouri most of my life and for what it's worth, I've never really seen a tornado in person. I remember a couple that went over our house in Liberty and damaged trees, but I've never experienced much tornado damage really, and I'm 40 years old.

My kids have barely experienced going to our basement since we moved back to Missouri 5.5 years ago. I pumped them up for basement tornado parties and they've been bummed we haven't really had them. Too funny! I just didn't want them scared, and I had good memories of our family heading to the basement with our giant dog in tow. The storms rarely last long enough to even play a game, but it was exciting as a child for me. More scary now that I'm the one responsible, though! Anyway, have fun and let us know which doctor you found and how that's going. I'm desperate for a good doctor that's not going to push vaccines!
#33 of 39 Old 08-07-2010, 07:41 PM

LOVE this thread!!! I, too, am moving to KC and am terrified!!! I don't live far now (Omaha, NE) but don't know anything about the KC area except for the touristy stuff!!! I accepted a job yesterday and will be starting a week from Monday!!! EEK!

I have a six year old and four year old who will, most likely, be going to Clay Platte Montessori which is near where I'll be working (North KC, MO) We have heard that JoCO is the place to live and my husband will be working in Leawood (I think that's the name!) but since I'll be working on the other end and I've heard excellent things about the Clay Platte school, I'm torn as where to live!!!
#34 of 39 Old 08-08-2010, 04:08 PM

I have always been on the Missouri side of KC, so I can't say what it's like to live on the KS side. For me, it's always seemed very consumer-oriented. That's a plus and negative in my book-- lots of "keep up with the Jones" feel in parts, but it's not like we don't have that on the Missouri side. Our Jones just aren't as rich, probably! The plus side-- lots of great shops/restaurants! We don't have them in Lee's Summit, MO. Just the traditional box stores.

I have a good friend who lives in Olathe, KS and LOVES it. I have friends who live in south Overland Park/Leawood, KS and love it. It does seem that a lot of the natural living resources are downtown or in KS. Perhaps that's because much of it is catering to a little higher economic level (ie: Naturopaths are mostly in KS--not covered by most insurance that I've found.) The Whole Foods are all in KS, though there are smaller stores in MO (Nature's Pantry in Independence, Nature's Market in Lee's Summit, Mother Nature's in Liberty, Green Acres-I think- in Briarcliff in the Northland...)

For me, if I were to move in KC again, I'd LOVE to live in Brookside/Waldo, just south of the Plaza. It's a bit pricey and the houses are old and small, but lots of character. Most are updated and there's an organic farmer's market that's to die for. They have a fantastic walkable downtown area with local stores, including a natural clothing store (World's Window--pricey!) old-school "dime" store, locally roasted and fair trade coffee shop (Roasterie-- LOVE IT!) and a yummy custard shop (Foo's Fabulous Custard.) The houses are probably $200 and up-- very up. I have some friends who live in a house in Waldo and adore the area. So much is walkable. Schools aren't good, though there are magnet and charter schools to check out, and lots of private schools.

The Northland is really growing, and even Liberty where I grew up is getting more schools, etc. They even have a "green" high school with a living roof, if I remember right!

Check out citydata.com for some great info on whatever city you are moving to. I think you will do fine wherever you go. Just keep in mind out south KC (Belton, Grandview, south KC) is rougher and has a lower socio-economic base. My husband grew up in Belton and he would not move there again, though it's growing, too. Parts of Independence are a bit seedy, yet there are other parts that are great (including their downtown.) Good luck!
#35 of 39 Old 08-09-2010, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

thank you. SO much good info and resources. Hope to keep in touch!

Super mom to a 5 1/2 year old girl, almost 4 yr old girl, and 2 year old boy.

#36 of 39 Old 08-10-2010, 02:50 PM

Hope you are enjoying Kansas City so far!!

We live up north as well and we have been really happy with that choice.
#37 of 39 Old 01-02-2011, 11:42 AM

It'd be great to hear about the schools in KC, especially on the MO side. We are hoping to move back there soon and my folks live in Independence. Where to avoid/where to look, esp. in the suburbs.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#38 of 39 Old 02-21-2012, 01:11 PM

Hello, I just moved to the KC area with my family from the DC-metro area of Maryland. My husband transferred positions within his company.  We are temporarily living in an apartment in Overland Park while we search for a house to buy.  We just put an offer in today on a home in north KC, near Parkville.  Hope it's accepted!  I am so glad to find this thread, and I hope to connect with many of the mamas that posted. 

We are a family of 4 people and 5 pets, children ages 4.5 and 2.5. I am very interested in attachment parenting, delay/non-vaxing, Waldorf education, babywearing, natural living and try to eat organic/local food.  If anyone is interested in getting together, please message me and/or post here!

#39 of 39 Old 06-26-2012, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi Everyone,

I know this is an older post, but I thought I'd still reply.  We've lived in KC for about 3.5 years (we live in Waldo).  I am about 7 weeks pregnant with our first child!  I'm super nervous about finding other mama friends.  We don't have any family in the area and none of our current friends have kids.  I plan on joining LLL in a few months, but I've still been pretty anxious about meeting people (I'm sure part of it is pregnancy hormones).  Thanks for the info about meet ups and doctors!  If anyone else in KC is newly pregnant and wants to go through this together- let me know thumb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page