Moving to Kansas City - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, husband just got a job offer in Kansas City. I am from California. Never lived anywhere else and I am panicking. I have three children, 3.5, almost 2, and 13 weeks.

So many questions....

What is it like living out there, surrounding areas....
In California-southern, there is lots of encouragement of natural living, alternative ideas, etc....Is it the opposite there??

Any recommendations on where to start looking for a place. He will be working in Lenexa, KS. We do have his brother and fam in Kearney, MO.

How is the medical system out there. Pediatricians are important to me, especially ones comfortable with non vaccinating parents, etc...

What about moms groups, I know I need to join one of those right away.

I'm just really scared about being alone.

Thanks for any ideas, help...

Super mom to a 5 1/2 year old girl, almost 4 yr old girl, and 2 year old boy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2010, 03:09 PM

We live in Overland Park, KS which is just east of Lenexa. I recommend living in the Johnson County KS area which would include-Lenexa, Overland Park, Olathe, Prairie Village, etc. These areas are great. Natural living is becoming more accepted here, etc.

I won't lie to you, this area is going to be different than CA. But there are some wonderful things here. We have attachment parenting groups, a Whole Foods market and several organic farmer's market.

We are adopting but I already have my family doctor picked out b/c he's not pro vax. My DH saw him for our home study for our adoption. And of course b/c of overseas traveling etc vaxs are pushed even on adults. My GYN really pushed it on me. So much so that she order my tithers be pulled in my lab work before she would sign off on my physical. (needless to say, I was vax as a child so I have the antiobodies). Anyway, Dr. Brooks is my DH's doctor and will be my child's ped. He is at Town Plaza Family Practice in OP, KS 913-345-3650. I had heard through the grapevine about his stance on vax. He will vax but is not opposed to not vax. Last I heard he doesn't vax his own little boys. Anyway, I made an apt for a get to know you mtg and talked with him. Since he's in a practice with other doctor's I didn't make a big deal out of it when I made my apt. There is also another doc, Dr. Green who is supposed to be great to work with on vaxs. I'm sure if you got involved with the AP group you would have a lot of recommendations.

I have a wonderful chiro who is very natural in her approach and has been very helpful with lots of info, etc. http://dunndc.com/

I have a great Naturopathic Medical Doctor Dr. Alicia Johnson. She is with O'Brien Pharmacy where they compound a lot of their own tinctures etc. She is great for women and children. http://www.obrienrx.com/index.htm

Please ask if you have any other questions!
Old 05-11-2010, 03:19 PM

I forgot to mention Lawrence, KS (Kansas University) is extremely alternative. I would never live there b/c it is a university town and it's a little further from the city. But, they do have a lot to offer in the natural living approach. They are about 30 min from Overland Park. Anyway, they have a great co-op there.

Because KS is mostly rural there are a lot of farmers in the area that have started catering to those of us who chose not have have antibiotics, hormones, etc in our meat. I've found some great farmers to buy chicken, beef, pork, and eggs from. I don't drink milk but I know a few farmers who also will sale raw goat and cow milk.

In this area you have to search for things it's not just common. But, it's becoming easier and easier.

I think you will honestly be surprised at what you will/can find here.

Best of luck and let me know if you have any other questions!
Old 05-11-2010, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Alinae, thank you SO much for telling me more about the area.

Tell me more, more, more....

What will I be able to do with my kids while I am there. What fun outings can we have. I am not opposed to driving. I am NOT the type who can sit in my house all day long every day, I get a little weird.

I actually was on line last night and came across this blog right away about Johnson County. Maybe I was looking it up, because my husbands brother and father both said "dont live in Johnson County because it is so expensive!!!" So, this person was talking about Starbucks over there and snobs and its like the Orange County of Kansas/MO. It is in KS side right?
Starbucks sounds good to me, if its safe and fun, thats what I would like. How much more expensive is it compared to other places??

Thanks for the info.
Also, how do you get hooked up with the AP groups you are talking about there? And are there other moms on this website that you have run across that live in the same area???

Thanks.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

One more question,

How is the midwife scene there?
Are there any free standing birth centers that you know of? Any home birth midwifes in the area? I am a RN and I just started to get into working with a midwife here in California, so I thought maybe I could do some sort of Doula training and help in that way, or maybe work a shift or two at a local hospital in the OB unit. IDK. Just curious.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:58 PM

JoCo (Johnson County) is on the Kansas side. It is kind of the snobby side of the city. I would bet that JoCo is cheaper than Orange County. You can buy a very nice house in JoCo for $200-250K-depending on the neighborhood. And it's very safe here.

We lived in Southwest Missouri for 7 years and the price of food, cars, and general merchandise are about the same here as they were there.

There are tons of parks in the area. Where I live in Overland Park there is a park every direction of my house within 5 blocks. Shawnee Mission park is great. You can rent boats and go out on the lake, there are some shooting ranges, and there are some great hiking and biking trails.

The Shawnee Mission school district (Overland Park, Lenexa) are really good.
I will tell you the "place to live" is the Blue Valley School District which is South Overland Park. (houses $250-300K)

There are lots of things to do in this area!
Kids Events are a dime a dozen.
http://www.kckidsfun.com/
http://www.kckidsdirectory.com/
We have sporting events: T-bones (minor league), Royals (baseball) Chiefs
(NFL), Wizards (soccer)
Culture: several theaters-broadway and dinner), ballet, symphony, and tons of concerts come through all the time
Museums: LOTS of historical sites (Oregon Trail, Truman Library, Pony Express, Jesse James and tons more) Art Gallery, Science Center

Since I've never had a baby I'm probably not the best person to answer questions about midwives etc. I do know that my doctors office has midwives on staff. Because of my fertility issues I never saw one. I do know that we do have some birth centers in the area. And I have an acquaintance of a friend who is using one. http://www.mercyandtruth.com/Birth%2...h%20Center.htm I'm sure there are others in the area. I do know there are several in the Lawrence, KS area (30 min west). I mentioned Lawrence in an earlier post. I'm sure some AP parenting groups could tell you more.

Since we don't have a little one yet (adopting) I haven't joined the AP group. My chiropractor is the one that told me about it. I can find out more information for you at my next appointment, if you would like. My apt isn't until next month though.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

that was all great, thank you so much. Yes, if you could keep me updated about the AP group that would be great. Is everybody in Kansas as nice and helpful as you!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:02 AM

I don't live in KS, but my sister does. She's in Wyandotte county, in Piper. As far as cost of living, I know that she paid the same for her 2500-square foot house in KS as she did for her 1800-sqf condo in Minneapolis. There's no way you'd pay more for anything in KS versus what you pay in CA. There's tons of stuff to do there, we never get around to doing everything we want to when we go down to visit. I think there's a Facebook group with things to do with kids in KC that you could check out, too.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

Old 05-12-2010, 11:58 AM

I grew up in KC and loved it. Hope to get back there someday!!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
Old 05-12-2010, 01:48 PM

I will definitely ask my chiro for more info on the AP group.

People are pretty friendly here, it's the Midwest mentality!

I thought of another website for you that has some cheap and fun things to do. http://kansascityonthecheap.com/?p=5708

Seriously, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!
Old 05-12-2010, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMommy View Post
I don't live in KS, but my sister does. She's in Wyandotte county, in Piper. As far as cost of living, I know that she paid the same for her 2500-square foot house in KS as she did for her 1800-sqf condo in Minneapolis. There's no way you'd pay more for anything in KS versus what you pay in CA. There's tons of stuff to do there, we never get around to doing everything we want to when we go down to visit. I think there's a Facebook group with things to do with kids in KC that you could check out, too.
Do you know what to search that under? Thanks

Old 05-12-2010, 03:03 PM

Here's a Facebook group for KC Attachment Parenting http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...1955071&ref=ts
Old 05-16-2010, 03:30 PM

I live in Lenexa and I really like it here. We homeschool our kids whose ages range from high school to preschool, and there are several local homeschool groups if you're interested in that. The AP group here is really active. It's at www.kcapfamilies.com if you're interested in joining and checking it out. You'll find resources for all the things you were asking about.

I won't lie, Kansas City is definitely nothing like California. We lived in Monterey for a few years and so I feel qualified to make that statement. If you come here with an open mind and a bloom-where-you're-planted attitude you will be able to make it work.

Where in Lenexa will your husband be working? I would be happy to pm you some information on specific neighborhoods if you'd like it.

Things to check out with kids while you're househunting:

http://www.opkansas.org/Things-to-Se...rens-Farmstead

http://www.lakesidenaturecenter.org/

If you're here on a Wednesday, there is a great open playgroup here (or outside at the playground on the other side of the lake if it's beautiful) http://www.cedarridge.cc/#/parkside-coffeehouse/info

http://www.opkansas.org/Things-to-Se...anical-Gardens
Old 05-17-2010, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Kansas City is definitely not Orange County (I lived there a couple years during college), but it is a great city. There are lots of things to do with kids.

It seems like there is a park around every corner. Loose Park in KCMO is one of our favorites. There's a free splash park there as well.

Wonderscope is an awesome children's museum that is set up in an old school building. Each classroom is a different themed activity room for kids to explore. Even my 19 month old can be entertained there for hours.

We live on the Missouri side and really like it. We're close to the Plaza (fun outdoor upscale shopping center), the Art District, and downtown.

There is also a Kansas City chapter of the Holistic Mom's Network that meets the second Thursday of each month at the Whole Foods Market. I co-lead and would be happy to add your email to our list serve if you want added.

There's a great natural parenting store in Lee's Summit called Happybottomus.

Mercy and Truth birth center is the only free-standing birth center in KC. The hospital birthing climate is not known to be real open and friendly to natural childbirth, but it's far from impossible to achieve with some great hospital-based midwives. There are lots of homebirth midwives as well. I can send you some names if you need them. Also, if you google Kansas City doulas, they have an organization set up where you can find lots of local doulas.

I would second the recommendation for Dr. Brooks and Dr. Johnson, we see both of them as well. I also have seen two different chiros that specialize in pregnant women and children if you need their names.

If you have any other questions, let me know!

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Old 05-17-2010, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you thank you thank you for ALL the info.

I'm just having trouble with the anticipation of leaving my family behind.

I was also wondering about fitness centers out there. Here I belong to a really wonderful fitness club, that most importantly has excellent child care. They have to be CPR certified and its a really professional enviroment. They seem to really care. Makes a BIG difference when you want to feel good about having a workout. Anybody know of any good places?

Old 05-17-2010, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

PajamaMama I couldn't find the wednesday open group at the link you provided? It was the coffeehouse link. Am I looking at it wrong?

Old 05-17-2010, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

A little off the subject....

Tornadoes, of course.

Being from California and not knowing anything about Tornadoes, wondering if you guys know if they come around the kansas city area? Do they have less of a chance to happen in big city areas?

Wondering how do you know if its safe to go out and do errands, etc...
My fear is that I would be out and about with my three kids and be caught off guard by some rogue tornado. Then what would I do??? Do you know they are coming?

Thanks.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:15 AM

You are moving from a state where all the elements are out to get you and you are worried about Tornados?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masel View Post
You are moving from a state where all the elements are out to get you and you are worried about Tornados?
I dont get it...
The elements???

Old 05-17-2010, 04:15 PM

earth - earthquakes, air - winds, fire - wild fires, water - drought

Sorry, I meant to erase that or more throughly explain it but suddenly realized I needed to get to a doctor's appointment.

Tornados tend to be part of big storm systems. There will be watches if such a system is on the way and warnings if there has been rotation spotted. Make sure you get a place with a basement, get a weather radio, and learn the names of all of the surrounding counties so you can tell how close any danger is.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymary View Post
PajamaMama I couldn't find the wednesday open group at the link you provided? It was the coffeehouse link. Am I looking at it wrong?
It's not officially sponsored by the location, that's just where we all meet
Old 05-17-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I was also wondering about fitness centers out there. Here I belong to a really wonderful fitness club, that most importantly has excellent child care. They have to be CPR certified and its a really professional enviroment. They seem to really care. Makes a BIG difference when you want to feel good about having a workout. Anybody know of any good places?
I belong to Lifetime Fitness and I LOVE it. I also really trust the childcare workers and the general quality of all the employees. There is a location in Lenexa, and also in Overland Park.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:35 PM

Happy to read this thread! We too are moving to KC...this summer sometime. It's reaffirming what I've been reading regarding school/areas to live. And it's good to see the doctor/ND recommendations! Yay!

I'm nervous too...grew up in Key West but have lived in PA for the last 10+ years so Kansas seems like the other side of the moon to me. I would love to chat via email if you'd like and as soon as we get there we can meet up and be newbies together!!
Old 05-28-2010, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibomommy View Post
Happy to read this thread! We too are moving to KC...this summer sometime. It's reaffirming what I've been reading regarding school/areas to live. And it's good to see the doctor/ND recommendations! Yay!

I'm nervous too...grew up in Key West but have lived in PA for the last 10+ years so Kansas seems like the other side of the moon to me. I would love to chat via email if you'd like and as soon as we get there we can meet up and be newbies together!!
That sounds absolutely wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am really freaking out about feeling ALONE there. I know I will try to join moms groups and go places, but would love to make a GOOD friend there. I will PM you my email address.

When are you moving? Are you moving for a job also? And do you know what town you are moving to already???

It's nice to know someone else is doing the same thing as me.

Talk to you soon.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:27 PM

I haven't been on this forum for quite a while but happened to peek today. It is scary to make the move...I am a San Diego girl who moved here on a whim 19 years ago. I miss my family, the ocean, the food and the diversity being so much a part of everyday life, but there are so many wonderful things about living here that make up for what I miss. I agree that Johnson County is similar to Orange County in many ways. It isn't where I would choose to live if I were coming this direction. With a husband working in Lenexa, I would look at Brookside and other urban neighborhoods. We live in Liberty and love it but the commute from here would be awful. Natural parenting is not as normal here as it is in CA but you just have to seek out a tribe and they are definitely, definitely out there. Feel free to pm me with any questions or if you want to meet up when you arrive. Welcome to the Midwest, mama! (P.S. Yes, there are tornadoes but at least you can see them coming..unlike earthquakes!)
Old 06-01-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
A little off the subject....

Being from California and not knowing anything about Tornadoes, wondering if you guys know if they come around the kansas city area? Do they have less of a chance to happen in big city areas?

Wondering how do you know if its safe to go out and do errands, etc...
My fear is that I would be out and about with my three kids and be caught off guard by some rogue tornado. Then what would I do??? Do you know they are coming?
I have lived in the midwest all my life, including Oklahoma where tons of tornadoes happen. Let me share my wisdom with you. Here's how it works:

Tornadoes are caused by cold air hitting hot, humid air. It's the temperature difference that causes the spiraling that leads to a tornado. So, they are most likely to happen on days when it's super hot out, and you look at the weather forecast and see a big old storm headed your way almost always from the SOUTHWEST (so, probably from the Oklahoma area, moving northeast towards KC metro). Tornadoes seem to happen most often in the EVENING. They are very rarely "rogue" -- they don't pop up out of nowhere, but are usually part of a big storm system, NOT the kind of thing you'd be likely to be "out and about in."

Listen to the major radio stations and check the weather online. Meteorologists are super paranoid and will issue a tornado WATCH at the drop of a hat (that means conditions are favorable to produce a tornado). You'll probably know if you need to be on the watch. If you're in the car, keep the radio on. Learn the map of KC so you know when they're talking about a place near you -- they most often describe tornadoes as occurring in X *county* so you'll want to be familiar with that.

If the tornado WATCH is upgraded to a WARNING (meaning a tornado has been spotted), the sirens in your area will go off. In my opinion, as a person having lived around tornadoes my whole life, the sirens going off means you should start taking precautions right away so that if a tornado hits your neighborhood you will all be safe.

- The safest room is a room with no windows in the center of your home (usually a bathroom) or the basement (they have these in a lot of homes in KC!).
- Make sure everyone has hard-soled shoes, and bring your purse, cell phone, a flashlight, and a battery-powered radio that you can use to listen to the weather (if there's a tornado in the area, the major stations will stop playing music and cover the tornado until it's gone).
- If you have little ones, bring your diaper bag, maybe some snacks. My parents used to have a mattress in the basement and they'd just carry us down and we'd sleep in there until the threat passed (like I said, they usually happen in the evening).
- If you have pets, be sure to have crates for them and put them in the crates if the tornado is near your home. I usually lock my cats in the bathroom when the sirens go off, and then if we do take shelter because a tornado is tracking close to us, we put them in their crates.

Most of it is a matter of paying attention, and don't hesitate to hunker down if you're worried. My guess is that you'll end up getting annoyed mostly, since a lot of the time they push the panic button and nothing happens -- but better safe than sorry is my motto.

There are some great documentaries about tornadoes that you can watch with your kids, and a kid's book called TWISTER that you might consider reading. It can be -- IS -- scary stuff because the storms are loud, and seeing your parents worry and hiding in a room can be spooky. Try to learn about it as a family so you can all help each other make sense of the experience. If you understand the dynamics of the storms and pay attention, I think it's pretty easy to distinguish times when you don't need to worry from times you do.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
Old 06-01-2010, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
I have lived in the midwest all my life, including Oklahoma where tons of tornadoes happen. Let me share my wisdom with you. Here's how it works:

Tornadoes are caused by cold air hitting hot, humid air. It's the temperature difference that causes the spiraling that leads to a tornado. So, they are most likely to happen on days when it's super hot out, and you look at the weather forecast and see a big old storm headed your way almost always from the SOUTHWEST (so, probably from the Oklahoma area, moving northeast towards KC metro). Tornadoes seem to happen most often in the EVENING. They are very rarely "rogue" -- they don't pop up out of nowhere, but are usually part of a big storm system, NOT the kind of thing you'd be likely to be "out and about in."

Listen to the major radio stations and check the weather online. Meteorologists are super paranoid and will issue a tornado WATCH at the drop of a hat (that means conditions are favorable to produce a tornado). You'll probably know if you need to be on the watch. If you're in the car, keep the radio on. Learn the map of KC so you know when they're talking about a place near you -- they most often describe tornadoes as occurring in X *county* so you'll want to be familiar with that.

If the tornado WATCH is upgraded to a WARNING (meaning a tornado has been spotted), the sirens in your area will go off. In my opinion, as a person having lived around tornadoes my whole life, the sirens going off means you should start taking precautions right away so that if a tornado hits your neighborhood you will all be safe.

- The safest room is a room with no windows in the center of your home (usually a bathroom) or the basement (they have these in a lot of homes in KC!).
- Make sure everyone has hard-soled shoes, and bring your purse, cell phone, a flashlight, and a battery-powered radio that you can use to listen to the weather (if there's a tornado in the area, the major stations will stop playing music and cover the tornado until it's gone).
- If you have little ones, bring your diaper bag, maybe some snacks. My parents used to have a mattress in the basement and they'd just carry us down and we'd sleep in there until the threat passed (like I said, they usually happen in the evening).
- If you have pets, be sure to have crates for them and put them in the crates if the tornado is near your home. I usually lock my cats in the bathroom when the sirens go off, and then if we do take shelter because a tornado is tracking close to us, we put them in their crates.

Most of it is a matter of paying attention, and don't hesitate to hunker down if you're worried. My guess is that you'll end up getting annoyed mostly, since a lot of the time they push the panic button and nothing happens -- but better safe than sorry is my motto.

There are some great documentaries about tornadoes that you can watch with your kids, and a kid's book called TWISTER that you might consider reading. It can be -- IS -- scary stuff because the storms are loud, and seeing your parents worry and hiding in a room can be spooky. Try to learn about it as a family so you can all help each other make sense of the experience. If you understand the dynamics of the storms and pay attention, I think it's pretty easy to distinguish times when you don't need to worry from times you do.
thanks for all the info. Have been sort of obsessing about this subject. Looking at video of tornadoes online and the damage they cause. Incredible. I didn't know they produced wind speeds that high. They just tear apart your house....

Did you ever know anybody to be hit by one and were you ever "in" one? Hearing different stuff like, being in the basement will not necessarily save your life. I guess some people die in the basement from pieces of stuff flying on them? Is it rare to be affected or hit by one? I spoke to my sisters fiance about them yesterday. He lived in Sterling, IL until the age of 24. He said he has seen 5 or 6 his whole life.

I just want to understand everything about them to feel better, at least I will be extremely knowledgeable about it.

Last question, why take your purse down to the basement with you? So it doesn't get blown away?

Thanks for any info.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnap70 View Post
I haven't been on this forum for quite a while but happened to peek today. It is scary to make the move...I am a San Diego girl who moved here on a whim 19 years ago. I miss my family, the ocean, the food and the diversity being so much a part of everyday life, but there are so many wonderful things about living here that make up for what I miss. I agree that Johnson County is similar to Orange County in many ways. It isn't where I would choose to live if I were coming this direction. With a husband working in Lenexa, I would look at Brookside and other urban neighborhoods. We live in Liberty and love it but the commute from here would be awful. Natural parenting is not as normal here as it is in CA but you just have to seek out a tribe and they are definitely, definitely out there. Feel free to pm me with any questions or if you want to meet up when you arrive. Welcome to the Midwest, mama! (P.S. Yes, there are tornadoes but at least you can see them coming..unlike earthquakes!)
sounds like you are the one to talk to!!!

what other neighborhoods are like Brookside? And WHY would you not live in Johnson County?

I would love to meet some people when I get there and get involved!!!! Thanks. Looks like we will be coming in July sometime.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Did you ever know anybody to be hit by one and were you ever "in" one? Hearing different stuff like, being in the basement will not necessarily save your life. I guess some people die in the basement from pieces of stuff flying on them? Is it rare to be affected or hit by one?

I just want to understand everything about them to feel better, at least I will be extremely knowledgeable about it.

Last question, why take your purse down to the basement with you? So it doesn't get blown away?

Thanks for any info.
Take your purse so you have all your cards/checks/etc with you in case you need to go somewhere to stay, or whatever. If your house got totaled you'd probably want your debit card on you.

I have been in a few near-miss situations. Most people who die in tornadoes live in really crappy structures like trailer homes -- things that just disintegrate in the wind. My in-laws' house got hit in early May, too - a few hundred dollars' worth of damage but they are fine. And they don't even have a basement (lots of houses in OK are built on the slab).

If you are really worried about flying debris, keep an old mattress in the basement and you can pull that over yourselves -- or drag it into the bathroom and pull it over the bathtub on top of you all.

If you've been in California living with the possible threat of earthquake/fire/mudslide, you are totally up for tornadoes. Really.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:37 PM

Hi! I am new to MDC, but not to KC. I was born and raised in this area and I love it. I've lived in various parts of the metro, but we settled in JoCo. Obviously JoCo has a reputation for being snooty, but I find that to be far from reality most of the time. I think I've run into more snooty people in the Plaza/Brookside area personally. But I digress.

KC has tons to offer young families. It's not California, but we have all kinds of kid and family-friendly activities. We have a large active AP group that was already mentioned above. While not all doctors are open to AP practices, there are several good ones. Family Doctors: Brooks, Greenwood, Killen. There are more, but they are the most popular. If I were you, I would look around the Lenexa, Overland Park, Roeland Park area. I think you'll see a variety of home types and can find the perfect place for you.

Welcome to KC.

Wife to my DH for 10 wonderful years.joy.gif

Mom to L (5 yo DD) and J (infant DS)  adoptionheart-1.gif

Chiropractor to many.  novaxnocirc.gif

User Tag List