Need info on Chicago area camping, cabins, B&Bs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-22-2010, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will be in Libertyville on business the week of my husband & I's anniversary in mid August so we are hoping to just extend the week & stay that weekend in the area. We would love to find an affordable (less than $75 a night) campground that rents cabins, B&B or something of that nature. We'd love a place with a pool or lake so we could go swimming & hope to be within a 1/2 hr of Libertyville. Any suggestions?

Mrs. (28) Wife to the Mr. (26) Mama to K (10g) & J (5b). Expecting #3 10/10. Hoping for a HBA2C.
#2 of 3 Old 06-22-2010, 04:23 PM

Libertyville is pretty far North of the city. From my city-dweller's perspective, it's in the boonies. Near there are a few state parks that have camping, but not cabins. B&B's are spotted all over just north of there too.

I'd recommend extending your willingness to drive and hitting Wisconsin. An hour away, in the Lake Geneva/Southern Kettle Moraine area, there are TONS of cute places, great trails, lovely lakes. On the not-rustic side is the Grand Geneva Resort. On the more rustic side, state park camping options are here. I'd warn you about weekends in a state park campground, though-- tons of loud people. In Lake Geneva there are a ton of B&B's and resorts... google will help you out, I'm sure.
#3 of 3 Old 06-26-2010, 08:02 PM

I am from L'ville area. It is pretty close to Six Flags amusement park, so lodging tends to be a bit pricey.

Camping about 30 minutes away
http://www.fishlakebeach.com/

Comfort Suites in Grayslake has a pool (double check) and might offer a good weekend rate. Sort of a blah suburb area, though.

Racine, WI is about 30 minutes away:

http://www.huntfishcampwisconsin.com/Racine.html

I do not know if they take families, but there are a few retreat centers in the area. I've stayed here and it is nice (they have a labrinyth, etc. if you are into that, you do not have to be religious or catholic).

http://www.racinedominicans.org/pages/private.cfm (siena center)

Good luck. PM me with any questions.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page