Home birth laws in IL?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2010, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone tell me (or point me to) if home birth is legal there? I did a google search and most signs point to illegal, but I haven't found a concrete answer. I can't tell if all HB are illegal or just ones attended by a CPM.

Also, I can't find a single birth center that isn't attached to a hospital. Do they not exist? The closest I can find that is attached to a hospital is 2.5 hours away... would it be crazy to consider birthing 2.5 hours away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I would not want to spend 2.5 hours in the car in labor. No way!

Homebirth is not illegal. But CPMs are. There are CNMs who do births around Peoria and maybe Chicago. But last I heard, there are really no birth centers. I think the last of them are shutting down. We have some very horrible and stupid laws around birth here.

There are still some CPMs who go under the radar. Which area are you talking about in IL? It's a really big state.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 08-18-2010, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

I'm in the Quad Cities.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:48 PM

Have you joined on the facebook page for IL Families for MW? http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...3657801&ref=ts You may be able to ask on there.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't. Thanks - I'll check it out when I get home!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:46 AM

I know of a couple CNMs in central IL that are under doctors but are allowed to do homebirths. They aren't allowed to bill under the doctors' names though. I too have been looking for birth centers close to me and have only come up with 3 hours away or more. I don't think I can do another hospital birth so it looks like the only option is homebirth. Let me know if you find any one!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:53 AM

AFAIK home birth is not illegal in any state but I am rather certain that Illinois is one of the pesky ones that will charge anyone attending a planned home birth.

I would like to know more. I am no longer in Illinois but I still have many friends there.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

Old 08-19-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echospiritwarrior View Post
AFAIK home birth is not illegal in any state but I am rather certain that Illinois is one of the pesky ones that will charge anyone attending a planned home birth.

I would like to know more. I am no longer in Illinois but I still have many friends there.

No they won't charge someone for attending, they just make it difficult with laws that aren't overly clear for CPMs to attend a homebirth. You can UC, have a CNM and for awhile my doctor actually attended homebirths.. he recently had to quit delivering babies altogether because the rising cost of malpractice insurance. It's ridiculous but there are some changes hopefully coming soon...

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:28 PM

I'm in the QC too, there are several CPMs here, no birth centers that arent attached to a hospital. The closest CNM doing homebirth is in Peoria. We are planning to UC because the OB/CNM group I was seeing wanted me to consent to a cesarean under her discretion, even if the baby or I were not in danger & I said forget that! We have thought of travelling to Iowa City where I had my son & had a great experience, but travelling even an hour in labor I don't know about.

Mrs. (28) Wife to the Mr. (26) Mama to K (10g) & J (5b). Expecting #3 10/10. Hoping for a HBA2C.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:08 PM

In IL there are OBs, CNMs, and family practice docs who can legally attend a homebirth.

There are DEMs who practice (it can be difficult to connect with them) under the radar. There is a bill in committee right now in the legislature to allow them to become licensed and recognized by the state, but it's having a tough time passing. The state does not recognize LPM or CPM at this time.

There are NO freestanding birth centers (there might be one for the Amish) in the state. A bill DID pass 2+ years ago making birth centers legal again but the rules for those have yet to be written or passed by the legislature. There are a few "birth centers" in hospitals that are not your stereotypical L&D rooms but are still very much a part of the hospital/system.

It's not illegal to homebirth. At times the state has appeared to be witch hunting any "non-medical" hb provider (the DEMs who may or may not be CPMs). In the Chicago area there are currently 5 CNM practices and 2 family practices that attend homebirth.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:46 PM

Most of the Chicago ones are going under, actually. And most docs have stopped backing up or doing homebirths.

I don't believe there is an Amish center, though. I lived (and still am close to) a lot of the Amish settlements in Central IL, at least, and I know they use the hospitals or sometimes if close enough can get a midwife up by Peoria. It's such a shame how homebirth is a witchhunt in this state.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:36 PM

Yes, the OBs and family practice docs are becoming very selective or stopping attending births. However there has been a good increase in CNMs in the last few years. When my son was born in 07 there were only 2 CNM practices and they were IN the city of Chicago. Now there are 5 CNM practices all over the greater 8 county Chicagoland area, 2 still in the city, 1 north suburbs, 1 near west and 1 far west suburbs. MUCH better in terms for choices for mothers!

Old 08-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Old 08-24-2010, 11:21 AM

There is a homebirth midwife in the quad city area, I can't think of her name, but she's the backup if my midwife (from the Peoria area) is unavailable for some reason. There aren't any freestanding birth centers and like others have said the ones called "birth centers" are still attached to hospitals.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAW View Post
In the Chicago area there are currently 5 CNM practices and 2 family practices that attend homebirth.
Is it possible for you to list them or point me to a list? I'm familiar with Homefirst, but I understand they won't/can't attend VBAMC. I used them for my first two births ending in C/S. Last time they couldn't take me and I used a naturopathic docotr flying under the radar with her HB midwivery services. Not a great option, because I was SOL when she dropped me at 40wks + 10days and I had to just present to a hospital for C/S never having gone into labor.

Do I have any options left in IL for VBA3C's? How about at least an MD who won't require unnecessary tests/ultrasounds and will at least wait until labor starts for a C/S?

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

Old 09-14-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2reenie View Post
There is a homebirth midwife in the quad city area, I can't think of her name, but she's the backup if my midwife (from the Peoria area) is unavailable for some reason. There aren't any freestanding birth centers and like others have said the ones called "birth centers" are still attached to hospitals.
Really? Would you be able to find out who it is for me? I came across one named Melanie -- do you think that might be the same one?
Old 09-14-2010, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Also, how does one locate a family practice doctor that delivers babies? Whether in the hospital or at home... I feel like that would be second best if I can't have my homebirth. I'm not really keen on MWs who deliver under OBs because it seems like they don't really have a lot of pull when it comes to standing up to the doctor -- I went that route once and if I have to be in the hospital again, I'd rather work with someone I trust who also calls the shots. Or if anyone has recs for a fabulous, low intervention OB in the QC I'd be willing to entertain that as well. Thanks so much ladies -- starting this search is so hard!
Old 09-14-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwed070707 View Post
Also, how does one locate a family practice doctor that delivers babies? Whether in the hospital or at home... I feel like that would be second best if I can't have my homebirth. I'm not really keen on MWs who deliver under OBs because it seems like they don't really have a lot of pull when it comes to standing up to the doctor -- I went that route once and if I have to be in the hospital again, I'd rather work with someone I trust who also calls the shots. Or if anyone has recs for a fabulous, low intervention OB in the QC I'd be willing to entertain that as well. Thanks so much ladies -- starting this search is so hard!
If you don't get any good leads here, I would recommend asking chiropractors in your area. They are usually big advocates of everything natural and often have good professional connections. I know there are lots of chiropractors in the QC area (it's the birthplace of chiropractic!) So if one doesn't know, ask another.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:26 PM

Jr's Mom, here are the people I know doing HB in Chicagoland

Sarah Simmons (will take a primary vbac but not vba2+c)
Jen Gagnon (from a woman's place)
HOmefirst (ending soon if they haven't already)
Deb Boucher (north suburbs to WI)
Christina Oser (Warrenville office)
Hillary Keiser (Oak Park office)
Dr. White is still catching babies at home, though i don' tknow his policy on vbac or new patients at this time

As for VBA3C, you might consult with Hibbard at UIC (she's the OB that backs up the midwives), she almost always takes on any VBA2C who comes in to see her.

And there is a doc in St. Charles? Let me check... who someone just interviewed who is willing to do VBA2C and twin vag, worth calling for a consult at least.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:31 PM

Ok, I don't know anything about this guy other than an email from a VBA2C mama locally.

Dr. John Carroll (offices in St. Charles, Naperville, and Carol Stream)

Old 09-17-2010, 08:19 PM

The only legal midwives who do homebirths pratice under a doctor. Family doctors sometimes will also practice under another doctor. I don't know if there are any family doctors in Illinois who do homebirths, since homefirst has quit.
To find a family doctor in the hospital setting, just look at local hospital websites.
I can't find the back-up for the midwife's name in the Peoria area. I know she's been mentioned on the board.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Just thought I'd update. I'm running into a lot of dead ends. Doesn't appear either of the central Iowa CNMs mentioned travel my way anymore because they've become so busy in their own areas.

I did meet a fabulous doula who is a weath of information. I'm considering exploring my DEM options... only downside is I have fabulous insurance that will actually cover HB and if I go this route we'll have to pay out of pocket. Now the question is, how do I find them?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and I thought of one more question. One DEM I talked to mentioned that because she isn't legal, she can't sign birth certificates... so what would be the process for obtaining one if that is the case? What if my home birth isn't going to be at *my* home -- it seems like this would seriously raise some eyebrows if I said I had an unattended home birth but the baby was not born at my address.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:54 PM

I would suggest that you go to the Walk for Midwives this coming Saturday (10/9/10). Also, my husband was the person to sign for our second child's birth in Iowa when our attendees were a CPM and a DEM. For insurance we paid the midwives in advance and sent an 'out of network' request with the pre and postnatal bill from the midwives.

Insurance paid it in full. I wrote a note with the form to insurance asking them to cover the charges as in network as there were no in network midwives within a 20 minute drive from my home.

http://www.friendsofiowamidwives.org/

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:16 AM

I would suggest that you go to the Walk for Midwives this coming Saturday (10/9/10). Also, my husband was the person to sign for our second child's birth in Iowa when our attendees were a CPM and a DEM. For insurance we paid the midwives in advance and sent an 'out of network' request with the pre and postnatal bill from the midwives.

Insurance paid it in full. I wrote a note with the form to insurance asking them to cover the charges as in network as there were no in network midwives within a 20 minute drive from my home.

http://www.friendsofiowamidwives.org/

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Jr's Mom, here are the people I know doing HB in Chicagoland

Sarah Simmons (will take a primary vbac but not vba2+c)
Jen Gagnon (from a woman's place)
HOmefirst (ending soon if they haven't already)
Deb Boucher (north suburbs to WI)
Christina Oser (Warrenville office)
Hillary Keiser (Oak Park office)
Dr. White is still catching babies at home, though i don' tknow his policy on vbac or new patients at this time

As for VBA3C, you might consult with Hibbard at UIC (she's the OB that backs up the midwives), she almost always takes on any VBA2C who comes in to see her.

And there is a doc in St. Charles? Let me check... who someone just interviewed who is willing to do VBA2C and twin vag, worth calling for a consult at least.
Quote:
Ok, I don't know anything about this guy other than an email from a VBA2C mama locally.

Dr. John Carroll (offices in St. Charles, Naperville, and Carol Stream)
Wow! I don't know what took me so long to check back here. I had just heard about Dr. Carroll and will check with him first. His office is really close to my office--wouldn't that be awesome! Heck, I don't care if I have to drive hours if I can find someone to let me VBA3C.

If that doesn't work out I'll try the UIC doc. I really appreciate the info and I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks!

User Tag List