Do people homeschool in St. Charles/Batavia/Geneva area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-19-2010, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We're looking to move there, but not sure how big of a homeschool movement there is. As I understand it, the schools there are relatively good so I wonder if people move there FOR the schools and therefore don't homeschool...?

Thanks!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 09-19-2010, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There are tons of homeschooling families in Illinois because it's probably one of the easiest states in which to homeschool.

I would bet there are homeschool groups in that area. If not, you could easily hook up with families in McHenry County (where I live) where homeschooling is really popular. The schools here are great, too, but there will always be a section of the population who homeschools (for us it's about quality of education and my boys will either be homeschooled or go to the Montessori school nearby which is K-8).

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#3 of 13 Old 09-19-2010, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, we're already homeschooling in IL. We come from NJ which is a step closer to "absolutely nothing" than IL if you can imagine. At least here in IL, the hs'd kids are explicitly granted SpEd services. In NJ, there's NOTHING. If your district gives you services, you're likely going to have to fight about it. So I'm liking it here better. Plus you have a small tax credit and the option of getting a diploma from a local district (I wouldn't go through all the nonsense, but it's nice for the families that want it). AND the kids can take electives at the public schools. The options are great.

I just don't want to look into buying a house up there if I don't have the same kind of hs community I have where I am. I don't need to leave where I am, but it would be nice to have a bit more land. I don't see any Yahoo groups specific to the area.

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

#4 of 13 Old 09-19-2010, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hehe here I am again! Check the meet-up groups for a group in that area. There is an awesome homeschool co-op in Elgin that lots of families from St. Charles and Batavia go to. Try searching by county too. There is a Dupage homeschool group that we are part of

Jessica mama to 2 boys 6/07 & 2/09
cautiously expecting to meet someone new in April...if you know me IRL please don't out me yet! It's still a secret!
#5 of 13 Old 09-20-2010, 04:06 PM

There are a ton of homeschoolers (and groups) in this area! We're just getting started ourselves and were pleased with all of the options. I'm a chiropractor in St. Charles and have a lot of patients who homeschool too. Very popular!

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#6 of 13 Old 09-20-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr'smom View Post
There are a ton of homeschoolers (and groups) in this area! We're just getting started ourselves and were pleased with all of the options. I'm a chiropractor in St. Charles and have a lot of patients who homeschool too. Very popular!

My kids attend a Waldorf school in that area, but we know of many families who have/do homeschool. This can be a good area to be crunchy. Lots of resources available if you seek them out.

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
#7 of 13 Old 09-20-2010, 07:18 PM

Yep, there is a great arts based co-op in Elgin, and an academic and arts based one on the west side of Naperville (so 20-30 min to either).

There are also tons of groups on yahoo or meetup to connect with.

The InHome conference is held in St. Charles every spring too. It's a statewide event, and really fun.

We really like that area, we were looking for houses there. yes, the public schools are good (St. Charles ranks the highest) and we really enjoy the river being nearby.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#8 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

We're in Aurora on the edge of Naperville right now (in fact, the kids here go to Naperville schools). I didn't think that driving from that area to here for hsing stuff was do-able. Isn't it like an hour one-way?

We went to InHome last year. I started to wonder if it was about being central to several popular hsing "communities" around the northern part of the state--ya know?

Thanks all!!!

#9 of 13 Old 09-29-2010, 10:37 PM

There are Meetup.com homeschooling groups in the area

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#10 of 13 Old 09-30-2010, 11:12 PM

I am in the Holistic Learners Homeschool group via Meetup.com and this group is outstanding in everyway. Extremely supportive and great group of families and kids - a true "community". The group is selective in its admission, as it is not trying to be a large group of people who do not know each other but one that knows and can support each other. So check it out and email Pamela if you are interested. There a ton of homeschooling families in the area. Welcome to the burbs.
#11 of 13 Old 10-12-2010, 06:04 PM

Thanks for all the helpful replies on this thread! I had not even thought to look at meetup.com. I can't find one in Elgin on there however. Is it still there or should I be searching for something different?
#12 of 13 Old 10-12-2010, 09:22 PM

For meetup.com, when you search for "homeschool" in Elgin, IL, one comes up in Algonquin, one in St. Charles, one in Streamwood, and one in W. Chicago.

I am personally in the meetup group based in St. Charles. There are members who live in Elgin and very near Elgin.

Really all of these groups have membership from a pretty wide area.

If you are interested in the one in St. Charles, please feel free to PM me any questions

I see there was a post specifically about a coop in Elgin; that person might have been referring to GIFT; it is very popular.

http://www.gifthomeschool.org/

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#13 of 13 Old 11-24-2010, 11:07 PM

Look for Positive Connections in the Meetup . . .great group and they meet in that area.  I wish we lived further west!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page