WHERE can you keep chickens commutable to Chicago?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-19-2010, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Right now we live in Aurora near the Naperville border in a development (Oakhurst). It's like that a lot here--lots of planned communities and none of them will let you keep chickens. In addition, the towns themselves won't let you keep chickens.

We're renting right now and looking for a house, but we want to be commutable to Chicago (in case dh needs to ever find a new job) and able to keep chickens. Sheep would be a total plus, but honestly I'm not sure we'd find property that we could afford big enough for that.

Thanks!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#2 of 14 Old 09-19-2010, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does it have to be in Illinois? There are communities in Indiana that are commutable, and rural enough for chickens and sheep. I know folks in Chesterton who raise chickens, and others with cows. Some of them commute to Chicago for work. We have the South Shore if you like public transport, or Valparaiso has a bus line. South Lake or Porter counties would be good choices, as would the Chesterton area or even west LaPorte county.
#3 of 14 Old 09-19-2010, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Marengo, Harvard, Woodstock (where I grew up and father commuted to Chicago), Crystal Lake, Huntley, Algonquin, etc (basically McHenry County) would all work really well for you. Also, in reference to your earlier question, McHenry County is VERY homeschool friendly.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#4 of 14 Old 09-19-2010, 06:52 PM

Believe it or not Naperville lets you have chickens

Jessica mama to 2 boys 6/07 & 2/09
cautiously expecting to meet someone new in April...if you know me IRL please don't out me yet! It's still a secret!
#5 of 14 Old 09-19-2010, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr92901 View Post
Believe it or not Naperville lets you have chickens
GET. OUT. I thought N'ville specifically did NOT let you have chickens! Is that a new thing?!?!?

We're in the Oakhurst area of Aurora right now--renting (we recently relocated from NJ) and we're looking for a permanent home. Maybe we'll reconsider Naperville.

And thanks about McHenry Co. Our agent sent us a house in Huntley--so that's good to know.

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

#6 of 14 Old 09-19-2010, 08:37 PM

What's wrong with living in the city? You can have chickens in the city!
#7 of 14 Old 09-19-2010, 11:12 PM

Yep it's true Naperville allows them....I live here.....there are a few restrictions ...something like the coops have to be 25 feet from houses and there is a limit on the number you can have (5 I thnk?) but yeah it totally shocked me when I found out. I checked not long ago and they were still allowed.

Jessica mama to 2 boys 6/07 & 2/09
cautiously expecting to meet someone new in April...if you know me IRL please don't out me yet! It's still a secret!
#8 of 14 Old 09-23-2010, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistles_in_Snow View Post
What's wrong with living in the city? You can have chickens in the city!
1) Too expensive to live in the city. 2) It would take me a year to find an area of the city that fits our family. 3) I need land. Even just 1/4 acre, although coming from a 1/2 acre it's killing me to consider smaller. I grow a LOT of food.

But yes, I found it ironic that the city of Chicago allowed chickens but most of the 'burbs don't.

As for N'ville, five hens won't do it. We used to have 8 and ate every single egg plus had to buy some if I was baking. But good to know. Plus, many of the homes we could afford would never have us on a lot that would wind up with a coop 25' from all the other houses.

#9 of 14 Old 09-23-2010, 11:01 AM

I found this tidbit of info here: http://home.centurytel.net/thecitych...ickenlaws.html

"Chicago, IL. Can have unlimited number of chickens if use is only for pets or eggs; cannot have if use is to slaughter. Must be penned.
Evanston, IL. Illegal to keep chickens here, but folks are currently working to get this law changed, so go to council meetings here.
Wheaton, IL. Sec. 14-99. Keeping livestock within city: “It shall be unlawful to keep any livestock or similar animals anywhere in
the city.”"

autismribbon.gif

#10 of 14 Old 09-23-2010, 03:16 PM

In addition to N'ville, I think it's okay in st. charles and batavia. At least I know that we have friends who live there and raise chickens.

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
#11 of 14 Old 09-23-2010, 05:48 PM

If you are looking at McHenry County, you probably also should think about HOW you want to commute.

Huntley and Marengo are closest to I90, so are better for car commuting. Neither is on the train line.

Harvard and Woodstock are on the train line but are farther from I90. Woodstock is closer to I90 than Harvard. McHenry is also on the train line, but is sort of an offshoot of the main line so does not have as many trains going to it.

The other thing about Huntley is that it is WAY more developed than it was say 15 years ago and has planned communities that may or may not allow chickens. If you are looking for communities that are the most likely to stay rural, your best bets are Harvard and Marengo.
#12 of 14 Old 09-24-2010, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

The place sent to us in Huntley wasn't in a PUD and had several acres. Plus, I think the Amtrak line going up through Belvidere & Rockford is going to stop in Marengo.

St. Charles/Batavia was another consideration (I posted a hs thread on that )

I actually think Aurora lets you have them if they're not free-ranged/loose.

#13 of 14 Old 09-24-2010, 06:29 PM

LOL

How ironic! Here in the city you can have chickens but you can't have land!
#14 of 14 Old 09-30-2010, 10:02 AM

This was just forwarded to me. I know it doesn't answer the OP question directly, but it looks like a fun tour and a good resource for people who probably know the answer:

All Friends of Urban Chickens,

JOIN US for our first annual
Hen-apalooza: Chicagoland Chicken Coop Tour
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 3, from 10AM to 3PM
FREE, children welcome accompanied by an adult (but NO DOGS, please!)
The tour is self-guided: make your own route of up to 15 coop locations in Chicago and Oak Park (MAP of Locations).
More INFO via our Facebook Event Page.

AND
REGISTER NOW for Angelic Organics Learning Center's next Backyard Chicken Care Workshop
Saturday, November 6, from 10AM to 1PM.
6400 S Kimbark Avenue, Chicago
(Woodlawn neighborhood @ First Presbyterian Church of Chicago)

Please forward this notice onward, and we hope to see you!
Angelic Organics Learning Center and the Chicago Chicken Enthusiasts (Google group)

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page