Produce coop for heavy veggie eaters in Western Chicago 'burbs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 09-26-2010, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
OMG, I'm dying. We belong to a CSA but it's getting us through about half the week (and in all fairness, back East we had the same issue with the CSAs there).

I need a produce coop--preferably one that has different box sizes and/or weekly delivery. In NJ we belonged to one that delivered to different pickup sites on different days--so if I picked up in two different locations, I could pick up every week.

So I'm looking for something like that. And it can be partially fruit. That's what we had before and it's totally fine.

TIA!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#2 of 24 Old 09-29-2010, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you tried calling Goodness Greeness? They have a huge warehouse in Chicago and they run a group called Sustainable Foods. Sustainable Foods deals stricktly with co-ops in the area. I run one in Southern Will County but I am guessing that it would be too far for you and I know there is one in Naperville. I could probably get some information for you, or atleast a phone number if you were interested.

In peace & health
Kimberly

Kimberly DH of 8 years DS 08/2002 DS 04/2005 DD 11/2007
Holistic consultations, supplements, herbs, flower essences www.IllinoisNaturopathy.com
#3 of 24 Old 09-30-2010, 09:52 AM

Kimberly-
I'd love to hear about the Naperville co-op as well. CSA season will be ending in 2 mos. and we'd love something for the rest of the year. Some of my friends used to use Natural Direct, but I hear that they're no longer doing produce.

Heatherdeg-do you mind me asking which CSA you use. We've worked with 3 out here and the quantities have been somewhat variable. Another option would be to buy 2 shares through your CSA.

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
#4 of 24 Old 10-02-2010, 11:49 PM

I know Green Earth Institute in Naperville runs a CSA. I've never used it, but I go to church with the owner and know that its a real labor of love.

http://www.greenearthinstitute.org/

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#5 of 24 Old 10-14-2010, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Kimberley--yes, PLEASE!!!

We're using Angelic Organics CSA and it will end soon; but truly isn't enough. I think it's close to the amount we got at our old CSA, but that wasn't enough, either (we had the co-op on top of that). I'm not sure we'll do the CSA again if I can get into a good co-op.

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

#6 of 24 Old 10-14-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdeg View Post
Kimberley--yes, PLEASE!!!

We're using Angelic Organics CSA and it will end soon; but truly isn't enough. I think it's close to the amount we got at our old CSA, but that wasn't enough, either (we had the co-op on top of that). I'm not sure we'll do the CSA again if I can get into a good co-op.
Heather-
We're currently with Angelics too. I know it's only a temporary fix, but you could do the extended (winter) share and buy 2 boxes. They usually do a special price for the second box so you'd get double the amount of produce for $180 for 4 weeks.

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
#7 of 24 Old 10-15-2010, 12:41 AM

I have the information on a buying food co-op, but I am STILL waiting to hear back from my rep about one in Naperville! Goodness Greeness is going through some changes and I am trying to be patient but I called them early last week.....

The contact I have is
Wesley Buying Co-op John Parker, Naperville, IL 630-355-5268

I hope he has some info for you girls about some produce. If not, I will have to talk to Goodness Greeness next week to order! Will post with any updates

Holistic consultations, supplements, herbs, flower essences www.IllinoisNaturopathy.com
#8 of 24 Old 10-15-2010, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all!

#9 of 24 Old 10-19-2010, 05:44 PM

FYI I just spoke to John Parker's daughter (adult) who is also a member of the co-op. I'm waiting to get more info because it sounds intriguing, but it is not for produce. It appears to be dry/canned goods, dried fruits/nuts, household items (e.g. shampoo), vitamins, frozen foods, etc. but not fresh produce.

#10 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 12:16 AM

I have been considering starting a produce co-op in Naperville (to add on to the one I have further south), but I guess I figured there would already be one! If this is not the case I will be starting one in Naperville, pickup will be at The Healing Place. I will have to talk with the owner to make sure and we will have to work out all of the details.

#11 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 02:43 PM

As far as I know we have nothing here! Oh and The Healing Place is walkable from my house...that would be awesome!!

Jessica mama to 2 boys 6/07 & 2/09
cautiously expecting to meet someone new in April...if you know me IRL please don't out me yet! It's still a secret!
#12 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 02:50 PM

OK I just looked at your website and saw the description of the produce co-op and this is exactly what we need out here! I have a couple different moms/health groups that I would be happy to get involved to ensure we could get enough to fill cases. They are always looking for good value too.

cautiously expecting to meet someone new in April...if you know me IRL please don't out me yet! It's still a secret!
#13 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 03:22 PM

I too know of a number of families who would be interested in the w' burbs, some who have even specifically said that it's a shame that we don't have a food co-op out this way.

#14 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 11:45 PM

Okay ladies, I have finally spoken with someone from Goodness Greeness and there is NO produce co-op out there. I will get this coordinated and maybe ready for next month if all goes well? Start spreading the word!

I will keep you posted...

#15 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 11:53 PM

Mamatoto2....I wonder if we are in the same groups? It's always funny to find out who people are online.

Naturopath Mom just in case my pregnant brain forgets to check back to this thread please send me a private message if you get more details and I will most definitely post to my groups. Also if you need help let me know I am literally around the corner from that pick-up location and am happy to help.

#16 of 24 Old 10-21-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr92901 View Post
Mamatoto2....I wonder if we are in the same groups? It's always funny to find out who people are online.

Naturopath Mom just in case my pregnant brain forgets to check back to this thread please send me a private message if you get more details and I will most definitely post to my groups. Also if you need help let me know I am literally around the corner from that pick-up location and am happy to help.
Oh, I'm sure there's some overlap. We crunchy-minded suburbanites tend to bump into each other here and there after a while

#17 of 24 Old 11-03-2010, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

I have no idea where The Healing Place is, but I'm on the border of Naperville--so seriously, how far can it possibly be? As it was, I was driving to Downer's Grove (from Oakhurst in Aurora) for my CSA pickup.

Count me in. Double score that I could get food weekly (most of the coops back home are biweekly--which made me insane). And will post to the local HMN chapter loop.

#18 of 24 Old 11-04-2010, 12:53 AM

Okay everyone, it's a go! Look like we are going to see how many we can get interested and we will do an order the end of November. Send me your emails and I will be sending out details to follow. You can email SchifferND@yahoo.com

The Healing Place is located at 513 W 87th Street, Naperville. Between Washington and Plainfield/Naperville Road. Not far from 75th. www.thehealingplace.me should have directions. First pickup is looking to be the last Thursday in November.

#19 of 24 Old 11-05-2010, 09:28 PM

I'm in! Kimberly, I've already emailed you but thought I'd post here, too. Thanks!

stephanie asl.gif

#20 of 24 Old 11-05-2010, 09:32 PM

Question....I'm looking at the Goodness Greenness website but don't see any info about how the co-ops are run, what it includes, etc, etc. If anyone has more specific info, please post! I'd love to help spread the word but it's kind of hard if I don't know details. At least a few?

stephanie asl.gif

#21 of 24 Old 11-06-2010, 12:10 AM

This is her website-
http://www.illinoisnaturopathy.com/Organic_Produce.html

#22 of 24 Old 11-06-2010, 12:19 AM

Thanks Jessica, hopefully that will clear up any questions. It really is quite simple once you get the general understanding of it. If you still need more info, just let me know.

#23 of 24 Old 11-06-2010, 10:48 AM

Excellent! Thanks, Jessica. Definitely something I'm interested in....especially since it's just down the road.

stephanie asl.gif

#24 of 24 Old 11-06-2010, 11:37 AM

I'm anxious to get more details, especially about the pickup window. I know that I'll have a hard time if it's a narrow late-afternoon window. I'd have to transport all 3 kids a good hour round trip and that might be a deal breaker for me (we're in NE Aurora). Keeping my fingers crossed that I can work it out though and I've posted it to others. I figure that the more friends who are interested, the more likely it is that we can "carpool" the food.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page