We're probably moving from NYC to St. Louis in the spring. I'm not pregnant, but we're hoping to get pregnant right after the move.
I'd like to know more about the homebirth situation in St. Louis. We had a homebirth here in 2009 and I wouldn't want to birth any other way.
1. How would I find a midwife? There's a list of NYC homebirth midwives online, with phone numbers, but I can't seem to find that for St. Louis. I keep hearing "Oh, just talk to Friends of Missouri Midwives." I've looked on their website and can't find a list of midwives. I get the impression that it's guarded information, in a sense. Would FOMM be able to give me a list of midwives to contact?
2. How far in advance do the STL midwives get booked? I started calling NYC midwives the week we found out we were pregnant and three of them were booked for my birth month already! If we do end up getting pregnant before we move to St. Louis, will any midwives still be available?
3. Do I have any hope of insurance covering a homebirth? Around how much do the area midwives charge if we pay cash?
4. If for some reason we get risked out of a homebirth, or need to transfer, how are the hospitals? Are they awful to you if you need to transfer?
5. What's the breech birth situation in STL? DD was breech until an external version at 38 weeks. My midwife refused to tell me if she would have attended my birth at home if she had stayed breech (I'm not thrilled with her about that). There is only one doctor who attends vaginal breech births in NYC, and she doesn't take insurance. Of course, who knows if my future kids will be breech, but it's my biggest worry so it's something I'd like to know a little about.
Can you tell I like planning things in advance?
Thanks for any input!