Therapist for AP/CL Family - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-22-2010, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been dealing with depression since the birth of my second child nine months ago, and I'm thinking about seeing a therapist. Does anyone have any recommendations for an attachment parenting/consensualing living friendly therapist in Chicago? The last thing I want to hear is that I should nightwean the baby and establishing rules and consequences for the preschooler.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#2 of 5 Old 11-23-2010, 05:10 AM

What is consensualing living?

Sorry, not in Chi, so I can't help w/therapist recs...but I'm wondering...I can see why you wouldn't want to night-wean the baby, but not why you reject the idea of rules/consequences for the preschooler.  Any insight you can offer?  (I've been a pretty relaxed/permissive parent, practicing AP a long long time...not into spanking or 'punishments' for the most part...but have always had some limits for my kids--now aged 32 down to 12).  I've seen in my own fam and others that a youngster without any rules/consequences can be a real tyrant in the home...an unhappy child because of being afraid that the grownups are not really in charge....constantly tossing out tests as their way of asking for more security in the form of help with limits.  This can be emotionally very difficult for the whole family.

But maybe it's a matter of semantics here...again, can you offer me any insight on your philosophy--or even a website or something that explains it?

#3 of 5 Old 11-24-2010, 10:05 AM

I'm not sure if suggesting myself is allowed on this board, but I am a therapist and, obviously, an AP parent. If you want to, check out my website. Or I can make some referrals for you.

Christine Whitley -- Positive Parenting

#4 of 5 Old 11-29-2010, 04:24 PM

My therapist, Andrea Gunderson, just left her group practice to enter private practice and she is AWESOME. She has helped me so much, with parenting and with abuse issues and then also she has met with my wife and I a couple times to help us talk through some things. If you want to email me directly I can give you her telephone number. I can be reached at mjoanwalker@gmail.com. Best of luck!

#5 of 5 Old 12-12-2010, 01:39 PM

Why don't you look into flower essences as well...a few to check out include sweet chestnut, mustard, wild rose, and gentian. I would gladly help you out. I know of a counselor in Naperville, she would be supportive of your choices. I work with her, so I do not want to self-promote. PM me if you want her info.

Sweet chestnut - miserable, over-bearing depression, deep and dark

Mustard - unkown cause of depression

Gentian - known cause of depression

Wild rose - more of apathy in the depression

Kimberly DH of 8 years DS 08/2002 DS 04/2005 DD 11/2007
Holistic consultations, supplements, herbs, flower essences www.IllinoisNaturopathy.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page