Religious Vaccine Exemption in Iowa - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-22-2010, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

I recently lost my job in Missouri and I have an interview for a company in Iowa. My dd has no vaccinations, and I was wondering what the vaccine exemption laws are like in Iowa. I am a Catholic, so does Iowa exempt all religions or do I have to state which denomination I belong to?

Please advise, because if I can't get an exemption in Iowa, then I will not take the job if it is offered to me. Thank you.

-Cheesestick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 07:41 AM

This is what the exemption certificate says:

A religious exemption may be granted to an applicant if immunization conflicts with a genuine and sincere religious belief. A Certificate of Immunization Exemption for religious reasons shall be signed by the applicant or, if the applicant is a minor, by the parent or guardian or legally authorized representative and shall attest that the immunization conflicts with a genuine and sincere religious belief and that the belief is in fact religious, and not based merely on philosophical, scientific, moral, personal, or medical opposition to immunizations. The Certificate of Immunization Exemption for religious reasons is valid only when notarized. Religious exemptions do not apply in times of emergency or epidemic as determined by the state board of health and declared by the director of public health.

SAHM to tiphat.gif  & modifiedartist.gif
Old 11-23-2010, 11:40 AM

I just went to my public health nurse and asked for the form.  I filled it out and got it noterized, gave it to the school.  I haven't been questioned about it.  This was just a couple of weeks ago for my kindergardner,  Same thing for my third grader.  I've never had a prob with having to prove my religion...

Old 11-23-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your reply!

Old 12-17-2010, 10:21 AM

wanted to add that I've not had any problems with the religious exemption (I'm Catholic too), and my kids have been to school in three school districts in Iowa.  :)

Just out of curiosity, did the interview work out and if yes, where?  :)

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:29 AM

What do you say when you go to the doctor to get a physical done and they ask about giving them vaccines, do you show them the form?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Old 11-29-2012, 07:03 PM

I just say, "No. We won't be doing that today."  They don't need to see the form.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:36 AM

Legally, I do not think they can question the religious exemption.  Nor can they (state health officials, school officials, etc.) make determinations about what "religions" are accepted in relation to the vaccine exemption as this would be a violation of the separation of church and state.

I have heard of other families even saying that school officials asked for things such as church attendance, signed letters from church officials, etc., and this also would be in violation of the exemption, as one does not have to actually "attend" a church to have religious beliefs.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:30 AM

The religious exemption was super easy for us. I printed the waiver off the internet had the librarian who is a notary sign it and hand delivered to the school. I did have the school nurse call me and ask about vaccine records twice but I just reminded them about the waiver and that was that.

User Tag List