STL Area Farmer's Markets - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-16-2010, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know we aren't in the season of Farmer's Markets, but I'm new here and have had this question for some time. I've been to several area Farmer's Market's. Tower Grove's seems to have a great selection of organic, local produce. Kirkwood's is closer to where I live, though. While there last summer I asked what items are organic and/or local. I was surprised to hear not many items were! The man said only a few vegetables  were organic and a lot of produce came from California. Isn't that the appeal of a farmer's Market- fresh, local and organic? I'd be OK with unofficial organic, seeing as it's expensive to obtain certification. I feel like I'm missing something here. . . .

What are some of your favorite places to get organic local produce (other that co-op or CSA) and an affordable price? I've be going to Trader Joe's, but they too have a lot of conventional produce too! Whole Foods has a great selection of organic, but it's pricey and not incredibly local. What about Sappington Farmer's Market? Local Harvest?

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-17-2010, 07:38 AM

Sappington has a good selection, but I am struggling to remember if any of it is organic.....I do think it is all local though.  Local Harvest has a small space, so not a lot of produce.  But what they do have is local, and usually organic.

A + B = B nut.gif (10/05) & C joy.gif (03/09) 
#3 of 6 Old 12-18-2010, 10:44 AM

Soulard Farmer's Market has booths for  some organic, local farmers. Not all of them are organic or local produce, but many are, and they all post it or will tell you if you ask. 

#4 of 6 Old 01-14-2011, 10:34 PM

I love the Sappington Farmer's Market. Not everything is organic, but there is a good selection that is. Almost everything is local I believe, there is a wide variety, and it's cheap! It is actually a full grocery store as well.

#5 of 6 Old 01-31-2011, 11:31 AM
Dar

I just found out that the Maplewood Farmer's Market actually continues through the winter, although only once a month. We go during the warmer months but I had just assumed it was closed...

http://www.schlafly.com/market.shtml

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#6 of 6 Old 02-09-2011, 01:06 PM

I think that there's more local produce vendors at Kirkwood in the summer on Saturdays.  That's the one that's closest to me, too.  Last summer, Webster Groves had one on a week night.  I never checked it out. 

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page