Iowa Mamas 2011! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 03-29-2011, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Linn Mar School district has very good test results. Successful athletic departments and lots of great things for the arts. I have two in elementary right now and know many families that have graduates of Linn Mar. Very good kids and quite successful in life now. My 4th grader just is in their talented and gifted program and really loves it. Linn Mar spans Marion and Cedar Rapids, too, which gives you some options on neighborhoods.

Hope this helps!

#32 of 60 Old 04-04-2011, 07:11 AM

Hi all!  Just subscribed so I can be up-to-date on all Iowa Mama info. :)

I live in Mount Vernon and have a 15-mo-old daughter.  Always looking to connect with like-minded mamas.

#33 of 60 Old 04-11-2011, 06:28 AM

Hi! I live in Lisbon!!

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#34 of 60 Old 04-11-2011, 06:55 AM

Hi all! I am super excited to find this thread!  I am a new (and lonely)  mama to a 5 month old DD.  I live just south of Des Moines and would love to make some mama friends!!!

#35 of 60 Old 04-11-2011, 12:08 PM

Hey all! Anybody with a baby interested in being part of a Guinness World Record attempt for the Most Diapers Changed at One time??? 

http://greatclothdiaperchange.com/
http://www.wallypop.net/gcdc

Let's set a world record for greatest number of cloth diapers changed at one time! Details will be coming, but mark the date on your calendars!

Rules for the event participants are:
For this record, each baby must be changed from a cloth or disposable diaper into a reusable cloth diaper that must be able to be purchased online or in a retail store. Unfortunately, homemade diapers that are not commercially available cannot be used. This is a very strict rule from Guinness World RecordsTM.

All babies and toddlers must be 39 inches or shorter.

Each baby must be paired with exactly one adult participant.

Saturday April 23, Val Air Ballroom, Des Moines, IA

11am -noon

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#36 of 60 Old 04-11-2011, 12:09 PM

There should be quotes - all info was taken from the facebook page. :)  I tried to edit and my computer wouldn't cooperate.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

#37 of 60 Old 04-22-2011, 11:33 AM

Anyone in Solon? We just put in an offer on a house over there and I'd like to make some local connections!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#38 of 60 Old 04-23-2011, 10:43 PM

Hello All!  My name is Jennifer and I am looking to connect with AP mommies.  I live in Cedar Rapids with my husband, 2 little boys and 1 little girl!  :)  I am also a SAHM. 

Also looking for a Naturopath...but I am unsure of they can practice in Iowa?  Any one have any info?  Thanks!!! 

#39 of 60 Old 04-23-2011, 10:56 PM

Hi Jennifer - Naturopaths are not legal in Iowa.  (and a recent bill toward licensing them died in the Iowa Senate this term)  That said, I'm sure that there are naturopaths working in Iowa, just describing the work they do in different terms.  There is a naturopath in Illinois that sees clients from the Iowa side of the river in Illinois.

#40 of 60 Old 04-24-2011, 07:56 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they can't be licensed just as naturopaths but can practice openly. There are several people in the area that do promote themselves as NDs, but are licensed for something else, like chiropractic or massage therapy. In Iowa City I'm thinking of Dr. Jason Bradley and one or more of the people at Eastwind Healing Center. I can't recommend any one in particular, as I haven't seen any of them personally. The one I had recommended highly to me by a friend is in West Branch, Edward Wallace I think?

Wife and mama to one awesome boy. love.gif
#41 of 60 Old 04-26-2011, 03:31 PM

Generally speaking, a naturopath cannot, in the state of Iowa, call themselves Doctor unless they have other credentials that entitle them to that title (Iowa Code 147.74).  Under section 148.1, unless they are a specifically listed profession (and they are not) they cannot prescribe medications (herbal or otherwise) and if they do so they are practicing medicine without a license.  Likelihood of prosecution for practicing?  I don't know. 

#42 of 60 Old 04-27-2011, 10:47 AM

If you are looking for things in the cedar rapids area i would like to suggest Birth, Baby, and Beyond. They are a cloth diaper store. they sell nursing bras and equipment too. They hold regular playgroups, music classes, baby sign classes, and LLL meetings, babywearing meetings. all good stuff! I bet you can meet lots of other AP moms. That is where I met my AP friends.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#43 of 60 Old 05-09-2011, 08:18 AM

I'm about 30 min west of des moines. I have 2 girls 2 years and the other 2 months. any mommas close to me up for a playdate? Or is there any mommas in the des moines area with special needs kiddos?

Wife to Robert 8-9-08heartbeat.gif Mommy to Lani 4-24-09 babygirl.gif and Cambria 3-25-11 babygirl.gif and one on the way! 6-26-13 stork-suprise.gif

#44 of 60 Old 06-22-2011, 11:46 AM

We need to take our son to a pediatric dentist to investigate a potential cavity and our family dentist has recommended we go to Corridor Kids in North Liberty (Dr. Kaaren Vargas). If you have experience with that office (good or bad) would you please PM me? Just didn't find any online reviews and don't know anyone who has gone there. Thanks!

#45 of 60 Old 06-22-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris777888 View Post

We need to take our son to a pediatric dentist to investigate a potential cavity and our family dentist has recommended we go to Corridor Kids in North Liberty (Dr. Kaaren Vargas). If you have experience with that office (good or bad) would you please PM me? Just didn't find any online reviews and don't know anyone who has gone there. Thanks!

before you get anything done to his tooth you should read healing tooth decay. you can find posts about it in the dental forum. it really helped my 20 mo old daughter. she still had to have a tooth crowned but the rest are looking better everyday.

#46 of 60 Old 06-23-2011, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've been reading online already about remineralization and healing decay, had been subscribed to the Very Young Kids Teeth Yahoo! group for awhile but never needed to act on the advice before. At this point I am leaning towards taking him there to see what she says. Our dentist said they do the first visit as eval only, with proposed treatment plan, then have you come back to do anything. Their web site shows they do welcome parents to come back with the kids, which was a must for me to even consider it. I have heard she is big on sealants (our hygenist told us that), but that's all I've got to go on so far, no parent experiences.

#47 of 60 Old 08-02-2011, 06:46 AM

Hi! I'm Alicia, pregnant with my first and due Oct 7 in the Iowa City area. I'm giving birth at the University hospital with the nurse midwives and have been thrilled with my care so far.

#48 of 60 Old 08-02-2011, 01:16 PM

Hi Alicia, congratulations on your pregnancy!  Hope you are surviving this heat... Oct 7 will be here before you know it!

I have a friend who had a fantastic experience with the nurse midwives at UIHC; she labored over 30 hours and had a 9lb baby vaginally.  I will say that after much research and soul searching I chose against UIHC because despite their fantastic philosophies as midwives, they still have to work under hospital rules/procedures.  We had our baby (also our first) at home.  If you are ever interested in home birthing, feel free to let me know, I had an amazing midwife!!

A couple of things I would recommend you looking into: a 12 week Bradley course on natural birthing.  We really liked ours taught by Kara and Marcus Seaton, check out:http://www.yournaturalbirth.com/  I would also encourage you to look into having a doula present at your birth (if you haven't done so already).  There is a great website that might help:http://www.icdoulas.com/

BTW- one thing I absolutely hated about being preggos was unsolicited advice. :)  So, completely disregard the recommendations from a stranger as you see fit.  I am sure you are taking care of you and your little one perfectly!

Good luck to you!

#49 of 60 Old 08-03-2011, 12:17 PM

Teehee :) 

We're 10 classes into our Bradley course with Kara and are using Jun Nicole as our doula! Iowa City is a smaaaaall place. :D

#50 of 60 Old 08-30-2011, 10:44 PM

Hey everyone! My family and I are considering moving back to Iowa to be near our kids only grandparents. How is it to AP, no vax and possible homeschool your kids there. We have reservations about how conservative it is and we don't want to leave liberal Boulder county to have those sorts of issues in our lives. I like Iowa and how homey feeling it is but.... we are a bit reserved and nervous about making that move. Any help is greatly appreciated! Hope to not offend anyone!

Momma to G 12/06 A 2/09, AND ANNOUNCING... Welcome big boy! A 5/10/10 9 lbs 10 oz! We and had our 3rd UP/UC!
#51 of 60 Old 08-31-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconventional1 View Post

Hey everyone! My family and I are considering moving back to Iowa to be near our kids only grandparents. How is it to AP, no vax and possible homeschool your kids there. We have reservations about how conservative it is and we don't want to leave liberal Boulder county to have those sorts of issues in our lives. I like Iowa and how homey feeling it is but.... we are a bit reserved and nervous about making that move. Any help is greatly appreciated! Hope to not offend anyone!

i think it matters where you are. I live in rural western iowa and some things are hard- i'm not from here (east coast) and i haven't met many people who share my views and are in a similar live time (i have however met lots of old ladies who are awesome and love to give me gardening tips). I selective vax and my doc was okay with that. I know some catholic homeschoolers here, one or two are kinda AP, but they def see me as over the top. In less rural areas there seems to be lots going on- there is an active ap group in Des Moines, and i also have friends in the Omaha area who are very alternative.

#52 of 60 Old 08-31-2011, 12:35 PM

to Unconventional1: you would not be alone, but you will not be in the majority.  Depending on where you are in the state, my guess is there will be a small to decent sized group of parents with similar beliefs/practices.  I live in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area and I can typically find parents of like mind if I look in the right places. :)

That probably doesn't answer your question completely, but I just didn't want you to think that the population is entirely conservative in it's views.  

#53 of 60 Old 09-01-2011, 10:15 PM

@Unconventional1 - I agree with previous posters that it will depend a lot on where you end up! If you pick one of the larger and/or college towns, you're going to have a much better chance of seeing a variety of viewpoints than in rural areas. I'm originally from one of the smaller towns and when we go to visit family it is incredibly apparent that our views and lifestyle are not the norm, but we totally blend in where we live! Homeschooling should not be a hassle and some areas even have homeschool assistance programs.

#54 of 60 Old 09-02-2011, 11:05 AM

Unconventional1, I am sure you'd find a vibrant community of likeminded families in Des Moines and the Cedar Rapids/IC area. IC is especially crunchy, and a great place to live. I live just north of Iowa City and love the area, which is also more liberal than most of the state.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#55 of 60 Old 10-12-2011, 11:23 AM

Hello-

I thought I would introduce myself. I live in Iowa City and love it here. I am pregnant with my second and due in April. My DD is 11.5 and so it feels like I am starting over. We have lived in IC for over 3 years but do not know many other parents here. I welcome any advice on classes we should look into (or stay away from) or anything else!! I plan on having my baby at UIHC. I hope everyone is enjoying our last bit of warm weather!!

Me (34) DH (33) We are the proud parents to Rebecca (11) and we are all three excitedjumpers.gif to welcome our newest addition  stork-boy.gif April 20th.

#56 of 60 Old 10-13-2011, 12:13 PM

Hi AnnaB77!

I live in Mt. Vernon, just north of you and am also due in April! :)  Hope you are feeling well, this PG has been a doozy for me so far.

I really loved a Bradley Class taught by Kara and Marcus Seaton,http://www.yournaturalbirth.com/  as I posted in an earlier reply to someone.  I also love Birth Baby and Beyond in Cedar Rapids, http://www.birthbabyandbeyond.org/  They offer classes, play groups, merchandise, etc.  

Take care and congrats on your pregnancy!

#57 of 60 Old 10-13-2011, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Just a heads up that

Birth Baby & Beyond

is having their big Cloth Diaper Resale this Saturday, Oct 15 from 1-3pm.
I was there and saw the stash, they have TONS of cloth diapers. They also have wood/natural toys, baby carriers, baby items, and nursing wear.
These are all items that other moms are selling on consignment thru BBB.

I know I took 9 baby carriers (pouches, 2 mei tais, 2 Oopa silk slings), 10 nursing shirts, and 25+ cloth diapers that are all in perfect condition. Priced to sell!!

Here is their website for more info:

LionessMom likes this.

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#58 of 60 Old 11-30-2011, 02:51 PM

Hi everyone - I was part of last year's Iowa Mamas thread, but haven't posted in awhile.  We've moved to a new city - we're in Cedar Falls now.  Anyone else near CF? 

I'm wondering if anyone has any specific info for me about no-vax friendly family docs in this area? 

Also, we're having another baby, so if anyone has any info about which hospital in this area is better, I'd love to hear that, too.  Right now, we're signed up with the CNMs who deliver at Allen.

Hoping to chat with anyone about Cedar Falls - we hardly know anyone here!! :)

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#59 of 60 Old 01-17-2012, 06:24 PM

Is there a 2012 thread yet?

#60 of 60 Old 09-04-2012, 04:57 PM

I can't find a 2012 thread, so posting here. Can anyone help this mama out? http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1362105/pediatrician-near-ames-or-des-moines-ia

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page