home birth in Carbondale IL - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 09-10-2011, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Babyshotton, who did you see at the offices at Memorial Hospital?  Did you go to New Horizon?  Years ago I too had a bad experience there but have heard of a lot of women going there and being happy with them lately.  I was thinking of going back to them if/when needed but am curious about who you were unhappy with.

Animal loving, veg eating mama carrot.gifto a wild, homeschooled son wild.gif 1/26/2006.  In love with my wonderful manpartners.gif .  Mama to dog2.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif,cat.gif, andchicken3.gif.   Hoping for babyf.gifby next summer!  

#32 of 46 Old 09-11-2011, 10:23 AM

I had a homebirth in Herrin IL but my midwife moved. I am so sorry you ladies are having a hard time finding help. 

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#33 of 46 Old 10-04-2011, 07:17 PM

I live in Jonesboro IL which is 20 min south of Carbondale. I had a homebirth with my first child the begining of this year. My midewife moved to MO and will no longer deliver in IL ecause of our stupid state Laws :( She will however deliver at her home near Cpe Girardeau mo. and as far as the east cape goes, its in IL but its the difference of crossing over the cape bridge and then your in Mo. I wonder if my midwife is the same as some of the other ladies are refering to!!!! I would love another homebirth the next go around but I dont know of any midwives who are delivering this far south in IL. Please let me know if anyone knows of some

#34 of 46 Old 02-21-2012, 04:10 PM

Hello there!  I am very interesting in bring more home birth options to Southern Illinois.  I am also very, very interested in training.  I do not have any licenses or degrees in midwifery, however I am reading lots of literature on this subject.  I am currently searching my options which there seems to be a lack of.  Please contact me with any way that I can help or join.  I am looking for a mentor to work under and want to see a private midwifery open here.  Thank you!

#35 of 46 Old 02-21-2012, 06:34 PM

Hi live4love4life!  Where are you located in Southern Illinois?  I'm in Red Bud, which is an hour and a half north of Carbondale.  I'm excited to hear that you're interested in bringing more home birth options to So IL.  As far as I know it is still illegal for midwives to assist home births in Illinois irked.gif.  But I'd love to help change that somehow.

For anyone in this thread who might have been wondering, Harlee was born 7/23/11 via cesarean, after a planned home birth.  Our midwife detected decels in his heartrate so off to the hospital we went.  We had a fairly good experience with the staff, which was good, but he was asynclitic (sp?) and my water had been broken awhile and his heart rate was not recovering very well after each contraction so off to c-section we went :(.  It's been a very rocky healing process mentally and emotionally, but I'm getting there.

One thing that is helping the most is that I'm about to open a Red Bud chapter of ICAN, which I'm super excited about.  I'm hoping to use this as an opportunity to not only provide support to moms who have had unwanted c-sections, but as a means to educate people on safe, natural birth.  Not many people know the importance of it, and unfortunately don't seem to care, even though it greatly affects their baby's and their own health!

Anyway let me know where you're located.  All I know of are CNMs, home birth educators, and some doulas in the St. Louis area.  And like I said, I'd love to help change Illinois's stand on home birth!!

BirthIsAwesome likes this.
#36 of 46 Old 05-23-2012, 08:25 PM

Are any of you ladies still active? Im a doula in So. IL and in a crunchy mama group of about 8 or 10. Im expecting my 6th in jan and will be having an unassisted birth if ee cant find a midwife. We had contacts for 2 and lost thrm greensad.gif
#37 of 46 Old 05-23-2012, 08:36 PM

I would like to know about the crunchy group.... I have a 6yo and a 8 yo.  We would love to have a play group this summer with like minded mamas.

PM me please!

#38 of 46 Old 05-23-2012, 08:59 PM

We typically meet in west frankfort at a Baptist church and bring tbe kiddos. I did pm you so give me a call.
#39 of 46 Old 02-02-2013, 09:44 PM

I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone is still around and looking to get connected to the midwife licensure movement in Illinois:

Check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/351756698197588/ - this is the facebook group for Illinois Friends of Midwives.  We are actively looking for homebirth midwifery supporters who are ready to get involved in the effort to get CPMs legal in Illinois. This group would be a great way to learn how to take action when needed to support legislation.

Carrie, wife to J, sahm to E, N, and A, followed by a bunch of crunchy labels and acronyms

#40 of 46 Old 02-06-2013, 03:38 PM

There is a meeting of women tonight..... I am headed to feel free to pm me for details

#41 of 46 Old 03-03-2013, 10:55 AM

i am thinking of moving to carbondale this fall & am due in october.  i have had 2 c-sections & one hba2c.  unfortunately, my hbac ended up being unsupported because i had so much trouble finding local support for it & the long distance support i did find was still in transit 3 hours away at the time of the birth.  i am an unschooling, attachment parenting, alternative lifestyle mama in need of some community & some support.  is there hope for me in carbondale??

stillheart.gif  em

i'm a treehugger.gifmama of an 8 year old boy, a 5 year old boy, a 2 year old girl & a newborn baby boy!  i'm into attachment parenting, unschooling, writing comics & figuring it all out.

#42 of 46 Old 03-04-2013, 09:23 PM

There is a birth group active in the area. Southern Illinois birth network. I'm from northern Il so i don't really know all the resources there. I've heard theres an ap group, LLL, ICAN down tht way. Connecting with any of thse could be a way of finding like minded mamas.

Carrie, wife to J, sahm to E, N, and A, followed by a bunch of crunchy labels and acronyms

#43 of 46 Old 03-08-2013, 05:10 PM

Hello- I am in Southern Illinois- We do have a birth network- southern illinois birth network- check it out on facebook- or message me privately on here and I would gladly guide you in relocating to southern illinois and help you connect to some folks here.

#44 of 46 Old 05-21-2013, 03:39 PM

I am a doula living near Carbondale. I am also a leader of the Southern Illinois BirthNetwork and Southern Illinois's representative to the Illinois Friends of Midwives board. I can tell you that the birthing community is small but growing rapidly. There is now a CPM working in the area to serve Southern Illinois home birth families and a significant political effort is being put forth locally to finally license CPM's in our state. BirthNetwork is having a park play date tomorrow at Evergreen Park at 11:00 am (I am pretty sure on the time, not positive though, if I don't update this evening assume 11:00 am.)
#45 of 46 Old 06-30-2013, 01:57 PM

I really wish I had been able to get in touch with this birth network two years ago when I was having my daughter in Carbondale.  Her birthday is today, actually.  My husband actually apologized to me after our experience at Carbondale Memorial and said he would never again make me do that in a hospital and that he was sorry for not just supporting me in an unassisted homebirth in the first place.  :(

We ended up leaving Illinois completely and moving to Florida when my daughter was only 4.5 months old.

Good luck to you all.

#46 of 46 Old 03-09-2014, 03:44 PM

Please contact me! Tyanna_duppong@yahoo.com is my email. I've just moved to Carbondale and I'm almost 32 weeks pregnant with #3 and interested in a home birth!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page