Educate me on HB and insurance in Iowa - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My insurance does not have a HB exclusion. Can anyone tell me how this would work given the current laws regarding midwifery? Would I have to use CNM to be able to bill for her services or is there a way around it where I can use a DEM and still get coverage for prenatal care?

TIA for any info you can provide!

#2 of 2 Old 01-12-2011, 03:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In Iowa, the only legal midwives are CNMs.  As such, they are the only ones that insurance will pay for... Consider that if a midwife submits a billing to insurance and she isn't legal to practice that the insurance company will turn her in for practicing medicine without a license.

Best bet if you want to use a DEM, get your prenatal care from an OB to have insurance cover it.  Pay cash for the midwife's services.

Sucks.  But until the Iowa legislature gets their collective head out of their butt regarding homebirth and CPM legalization, there isn't a better solution.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page