elk grove village , IL - Urgent vitamin K info needed! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-18-2011, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ive got a mama friend of mine in the hospital for high BP. they are stating that they will not deliver her baby and will transport her to another place if she refuses the vitamin K AND call DCFS. She is in alexian in elk grove village , IL. Any info on her rights would be helpful. Can they refuse care or treatment? Can she sign a waiver?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-19-2011, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

No one ?

#3 of 7 Old 01-19-2011, 06:08 AM

I had my first baby in Chicago and I refused vitamin K, etc. They were all pretty shocked and *tried* to convince me that I couldn't but I did (I had already told my midwife and she was fine with it and didn't say anything about it being illegal). They had NEVER had anyone refuse it before and "made up" a waiver for me to sign...they definantly made me feel like my baby was going to die, etc but really, they were all talk...does this help?

#4 of 7 Old 01-19-2011, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am very surprised to hear that.  If baby isn't expected to be circumsized or have surgery - what is the big deal?  I refused at Rush about 5 years ago - no problem.  HAs she spoken to her doctor?

#5 of 7 Old 01-20-2011, 08:46 AM

she can refuse vit k on a "religious" basis as a vaccine. I don't know how far she'll get for refusing the eye goop though. Especially if they are already threatening CPS. She can however ask that they delay it an hour and then ask again to delay it, and maybe the shift will change and they will forget.

have her call her pedi or family practice doc for support. where is her ob/midwife in all of this?

is she in labor? they can't refuse to treat under ETMLA if she's in labor. where will they transport her? alexian is pretty friendly, don't go to st. alexis.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#6 of 7 Old 01-20-2011, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

also refused the eye goop.  i am really surprised and disappointed by this.  I wonder if there are other factors at play ehre.  at rush, they didn't really care at all.  the only thing they ahd a problem with was me not allowing  a bath.  they said they would only be able to handle the baby while wearing gloves, then. 

#7 of 7 Old 01-24-2011, 11:44 AM

It is not against the law for her to refuse any of it (eye goop, vitamin K, hep B shot, bath, etc.)  By law they have to offer it, but she does not have to take it.  She just needs to stick to her guns and not get it.  They are simply threatening her and using scare tactics, but it is only that, threats.  Like someone else says they can't refuse her due to ETMLA.

I didn't get any of that and I went to Rush and they had no problem with.  Baby didn't get a bath either and they were fine with that. 

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page